Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Big actually part of Big Macintosh's name?

ggg-2

It seems odd to include Big in the name of a newborn foal, and when we see him in Applejack's flashback in Cutie Mark Chronicles, he doesn't seem to be any bigger than any other colt of that age.

Really? Big is weird in comparison with names like "Pinkie Pie" or "Rainbow Dash", or "Fluttershy"... >_>

Big sounds normal in comparison to me.. Also, yeah, it's probably part of his name.

Granted, the way Equestrian society names its children leaves this way open to debate, however, I imagine he was simply named MacIntosh when he was born (similarly to his cousin, Braeburn). I think the "Big" part started as a nickname that became so ingrained it's virtually considered part of his name by everyone in Ponyville now.

By the same token, even with Equestria's odd naming conventions, I doubt even pony parents would have actually named their child "Bulk Biceps". I have a headcanon that he was named Snowflake at birth (the name he was called by the show's production crew prior to his being given a real name) and then legally changed it.

• Brohoof 1

I think it has always been part of his name, as already said, he could have been a large foal.

Granted, the way Equestrian society names its children leaves this way open to debate, however, I imagine he was simply named MacIntosh when he was born (similarly to his cousin, Braeburn). I think the "Big" part started as a nickname that became so ingrained it's virtually considered part of his name by everyone in Ponyville now.

By the same token, even with Equestria's odd naming conventions, I doubt even pony parents would have actually named their child "Bulk Biceps". I have a headcanon that he was named Snowflake at birth (the name he was called by the show's production crew prior to his being given a real name) and then legally changed it.

Given that ponies names usually seem to match their cutie marks, I do wonder if name changing happens quite often.

• Brohoof 1

Hey guys, how about an idea that "Big Macintosh" and "Granny Smith" might be names of a different kinds of apples. That would suggest that "Big" and "Granny" is the part of their names. Granny was her name when she was young and Big was also his name when he was small. So yeah.

I am quite certain that his name is simply "Macintosh Apple", or "McIntosh Apple", and that Big is just a nickname ever since a growth spurt. Before which he might just as easily have been 'Lil' Mac'.

img-3057542-1-lil___mac_by_anarchemitis-

Lil' Mac... huh...? Hmmmmmmmmmm...

post-27192-0-37375200-1409695754.png

Maybe Mac shares his name with his father so they called him Big to tell them apart XD

well i just assumed since the apple family has all apple related names (some not all) that big Macintosh just got his name fro a macintosh apple, and they are pretty big so Big Mac is born :P 

I'm inclined to say that it may be just a nickname. I mean I'm not even sure if "Granny" is Granny Smith's actual name, let alone whether there ranny are apples called Granny Smiths in Equestria.