Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the REA actually have military equipment?

Stone Cold Applejack

• 10 months later...

Because in one episode the mane 6 all had military style uniforms and Twilight even had on a M1 helmet known for its use dating from WWII to 1985. So do they?

Do you mean REA as in Royal Equestrian Army? Because I totally call it that too.

I would think the REA would have military equipment because they are the military, its just not modern wear because firearms don't exist. Its more medieval plated metal to deflect spells and sword blows.

Do you mean REA as in Royal Equestrian Army? Because I totally call it that too.

I would think the REA would have military equipment because they are the military, its just not modern wear because firearms don't exist. Its more medieval plated metal to deflect spells and sword blows.

if firearms don't exist, them I wonder how RD, in the pet choosing episode, was able to compare the speed of her potential pet, to a bullet. Or why she named the tortoise after a modern war vehicle. Or why Pinkie owns a repurposed weapon of warfare, that fires of confetti instead of cannonballs.....

Steam engines that we observe in Equestria are very similar to those used in 19th and 20th century. We also have skyscrapers, weather factories, complicated magic-run devices, EEG, advanced chemistry needed to acquire explosives, and so on and so forth. Judging by such technology, it is not far-fetched to say that firearms, explosive devices, and war machinery are used in the world outside Equestria. I say outside because, though mentioned, they're most definitely illegal and/or useless within its borders. Ponies are ill-equipped for handling ranged weaponry, and those unicorns powerful enough to match a griffon or a dog at reloading speed, equipment load, and steady aim can just as well use their magic to form projectiles.

(edited)

Their technology goes as far as choppers and arcade game machines so it's possible that they have firearms.

And you can't have a party cannon when you didn't have a cannon before...

pinkie_pie_party_cannon_by_silentmatten-

Edited by cider float

(edited)

The Royal Guard (the only military force we see) use ancient Greco-Roman gear, not medieval. They even use stone-tipped spears, iirc (when they're armed at all). And pull royal chariots. There's a lot of Greco-Roman flavor to the MLP world; It's more sword and sandal than medieval European fantasy (though there are shades of the latter; See Ponyville's architectural style, or Canterlot being named after Camelot).

I also interpret party cannons as being the only function of cannons in that world (there are no "combat cannons" by my thinking). In the Pinkie micro, a character recognizes the model of party cannon Pinkie uses, suggesting party cannons are actually purpose-built for their role, not a simple one-off retooling of a weapon of war.

Edited by Daring_Do

The technology in Equestria seems to be a mix of ancient, medeival and steampunk. As far as military technology goes they definetely have things like swords, spears, bows and arrows as well as more advanced tech like cannons and explosives combine with magic but probably no more advanced than that.