Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Move past the idea, that your brain is a wet computer in a skull?

TheMarkz0ne

I am just wondering if any one else is like me and is tired of the really bad analogy of the brain being this computer in a skull. As someone who loves PCs and is learning about them constantly, I know this analogy cannot work and I'm NOT a neurologist. I even have a link right here from the best neurologist in the world and how even he says the brain will not be recreated biologically and computationally.

I know the brain is a legit network of neurons, synapses and neurotransmitters that are the wiring of the system. Human beings are not wires and I really think the computer analogy is a poor analogy. An analogy needs to contrasting things with the same function, yet they're different. A homology IS the same thing and your brain is LITERALLY not a computer in the physical sense.

Your brain... Doesn't have the following in it

solid state drive

CPU

GPU

RAM

Disc drive(if you still have those)

CPU cooler 

You can't compare your memory to a hard drive, because your brain has no OPERATING SYSTEM. Memories aren't file bins. Science cannot answer why I remember something from a specific moment in time and how it resonates with me and no one else. I have memories that I don't even know why I still have them. They're clear and colorful.

Your brain cells and neural pathways are constantly being destroyed so quickly and rebuilding at a fast rate, that memory can't be in the brain. Also I have read rat studies from a long time ago, that rmeoving large chunks of the brain at a time did not affect the memory of conscious rats/humans(the humans had large inactive parts, they weren't dismembered like the rats)

Computers are only perfect at math, because humans made those calculations so that we aren't going to. The human mind is not understood, if it were, then we would be having a utopian world. 

But all these things such as Brain interfaces are the result of a metaphor taken seriously and it's the gui of the computer, NOT your brain that makes the interfaces work.

The human body, is a self regulating unpredictable DNA suit. Humans have not mastered or will not master the humans body and defeat nature's pattern of living and dying.

I am ok if you think your brain is a computer, doesn't bother me. A computer is not a technical thing to begin with. Algorithms can be done with your hands, it's just that immaterial binary code on hardware has evolved and PCs are an essential thing in our society, that we compare ourselves to the things we make.

Edited by TheMarkz0ne
  • Brohoof 2

I am just wondering if any one else is like me and is tired of the really bad analogy of the brain being this computer in a skull. As someone who loves PCs and is learning about them constantly, I know this analogy cannot work and I'm NOT a neurologist. I even have a link right here from the best neurologist in the world and how even he says the brain will not be recreated biologically and computationally.

Your brain... Doesn't have the following in it

solid state drive

CPU

GPU

RAM

Disc drive(if you still have those)

CPU cooler

I don't think I've face palmed this hard in like...ever. it kind of hurts.

GG no RE

Of course, if you're getting super literal to the point of being silly, then yeah, sure, the brain is not like a computer.

But you'd be missing the point of analogies if you do that.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I've face palmed this hard in like...ever. it kind of hurts.

GG no RE

Of course, if you're getting super literal to the point of being silly, then yeah, sure, the brain is not like a computer.

But you'd be missing the point of analogies if you do that.

I'm talking about the people who take analogies literally, not me myself. I mean, I am tired of seeing texting at the dinner table. It's like people are zombies or robots for their dead machine.

I know that the human brain is not literally a computer.

People use the simile: "The human brain is just like a super computer".

That sentence wouldn't be said because someone thinks that a brain is an actual computer...

Which makes sense, because the human brain is capable of pretty amazing things.

• Brohoof 1

In 100 years time, computers themselves may not have a CPU, GPU or RAM as we recognise them. The punch card computers of yesteryear were still computers. Vacuum computers were still computers. There have been an enormous range of unique varieties of computer throughout their development, and I believe what we see as a computer will continue to evolve. 

You're coming at this analogy from a very narrow angle. Perhaps a better question to ask yourself would be, "What is a computer?" You'll find the human brain, when looked at from a figurative point of view, is very similar.

• Brohoof 2

In 100 years time, computers themselves may not have a CPU, GPU or Ram as we recognise them. The punch card computers of yesteryear were still computers. Vacuum computers were still computers. There have been an enormous range of unique varieties of computer throughout their development, and I believe what we see as a computer will continue to evolve. 

You're coming at this analogy from a very narrow angle. Perhaps a better question to ask yourself would be, "What is a computer?" You'll find the human brain, when looked at from a figurative point of view, is very similar.

Humans are emotional, while a computer can only copy cat what a sentient human programs. Humans don't even understand each other and we are going to attempt to become more of the tech zombies that we already are? Your brain is really a complex receiver of consciousness. Nature isn't a computer. Nature as usual has been kicking the human race's ass since day one. 

Also, they aren't similar. I read an article a week ago, about brain zapping with electricity improves memory recollection, but as I said earlier, memory isn't in the brain. You have an EMF in coming to your brain and from your brain(propagation) same applies for the human heart's EMF.

It's so ironic that the only thing we share with a computer is the memory of a natural magnet. Magnets are in your storage devices... But that's the magnet itself, not the hard drive. 

Memories are absolutely stored in the brain. However, there are various areas where different levels of memory are kept. Short term memory is stored separately to long term memory, for instance, and working memory is different again. Removing random chunks of brain won't necessarily affect memory unless you sever the correct pathways. The brain is a phenomenally complex thing, and the way it functions is outright fascinating.

Of course the human brain isn't going to be an exact match for our current level of computing technology. There's no way it can be. But the similarities are fascinating to identify.

You seem to be concerned about the impact of technology on our society, but that has very little to do with the brain/computer analogy.

The brain is a sort of natural computer. It's only an analogy, but it's a very good one.

• Brohoof 2

Memories are absolutely stored in the brain. However, there are various areas where different levels of memory are kept. Short term memory is stored separately to long term memory, for instance, and working memory is different again. Removing random chunks of brain won't necessarily affect memory unless you sever the correct pathways. The brain is a phenomenally complex thing, and the way it functions is outright fascinating.

Of course the human brain isn't going to be an exact match for our current level of computing technology. There's no way it can be. But the similarities are fascinating to identify.

You seem to be concerned about the impact of technology on our society, but that has very little to do with the brain/computer analogy.

The brain is a sort of natural computer. It's only an analogy, but it's a very good one.

The machines......will not rise.

That first clip is out of context. All the speaker said said was simply that memories aren't localised; which is exactly what I said in my previous post. There are neural pathways throughout the brain which do a phenomenal job at compensating for missing chunks.

There is no scientific foundation whatsoever which indicates memories are stored in bone marrow. Bone marrow contains cells which store 'immune memory' which is merely your body's ability to recognise and fight disease. It's totally separate to cognitive memory, as it's not a thought process at all.

The cell memory phenomenon may possibly be caused by neural impulses lingering within these organs which then fire back up to the brain upon transplant. However, it does not provide any substantial evidence that the majority of our memories are stored outside the brain, and the vast body of 'research' around the subject is basically just pseudo-science. (That guy with the cells was interesting right up to the point where he launched into metaphysical mumbo jumbo, which totally discredited him in my eyes. I had to go look up some other sources on the subject to gain a balanced opinion, and anything endorsed by L. Ron Hubbard attracts immediate skepticism.)

You seem extremely concerned about the impact technology is having on society, but trying to argue the fundamental processes of cognitive function and memory isn't the best way to combat the issue.

However, memory and the brain itself are fascinating topics, and I would encourage you to go forth and look a little into how they work, and some of the science and accepted research behind them both.

This has been an interesting discussion.  :proud:

• Brohoof 2

The thing I'm missing is what does the computer/brain analogy have to do with the role of technology in society?

I mean yeah taken in the most literal of contexts; yeah, you're right, but taking it that literal is kinda missing the point. The analogy in itself isn't meant to be taken literally.

Again; context.

Likewise, while I don't text at the dinner table (not like I can, I don't own a phone due to no cell coverage where I live), I do tend to read my Kindle Paperwhite quite a bit when we eat out.

I can agree that some may take it a bit far, but I don't think it's as big an issue as you may imply.

Except the brain does get overheated, yawning cools off the brain, they have things in common.

Its not a perfect comparison admittedly. But there are already some brain simulators in progress that are somewhat succesful. Perhaps research those before saying what technology cannot do. And no one knows the limits of technology until everything has been invented which might not even happen, I mean look at how much nearly infinite variations of music there are, technology might as well be the same. There are probably a few things we could predictbaly not do, but given a large enough effort and supplies and time a computer could simulate a brain.

But I am sure it will take them some time before realizing the brain simulation will fail without the data incoming from all the nerves of the body, which streams constantly to the brain, without it its possibly worthless, because different stimuli arouses different thought in us. If we cannot have stimuli, our brains die as well, such as isolation chambers. So it might take them 3x longer or so because of a planning fallacy, but it would still get done.

Edited by MostBrainWhyYes
  • Brohoof 3

That first clip is out of context. All the speaker said said was simply that memories aren't localised; which is exactly what I said in my previous post. There are neural pathways throughout the brain which do a phenomenal job at compensating for missing chunks.

There is no scientific foundation whatsoever which indicates memories are stored in bone marrow. Bone marrow contains cells which store 'immune memory' which is merely your body's ability to recognise and fight disease. It's totally separate to cognitive memory, as it's not a thought process at all.

The cell memory phenomenon may possibly be caused by neural impulses lingering within these organs which then fire back up to the brain upon transplant. However, it does not provide any substantial evidence that the majority of our memories are stored outside the brain, and the vast body of 'research' around the subject is basically just pseudo-science. (That guy with the cells was interesting right up to the point where he launched into metaphysical mumbo jumbo, which totally discredited him in my eyes. I had to go look up some other sources on the subject to gain a balanced opinion, and anything endorsed by L. Ron Hubbard attracts immediate skepticism.)

You seem extremely concerned about the impact technology is having on society, but trying to argue the fundamental processes of cognitive function and memory isn't the best way to combat the issue.

However, memory and the brain itself are fascinating topics, and I would encourage you to go forth and look a little into how they work, and some of the science and accepted research behind them both.

This has been an interesting discussion.  :proud:

Ever heard of neuroplasicity? You can rewire your brain at your will. The goal of neuroscience is to kill your freedom and make you like a robot. Also, I have yet to find one memory location article. Michael Persinger did an amazing video on ESP and memory as well. This man is a prestige neurologist, possibly the best in the world and he says ESP and non brain humanity is a fact. I'm using neurologist to make my claim. 

You can't scientifically explain why a certain memory means something to me at an exact moment in time. It's something you can't go back in time and do. You do realize your heart has neurons too right? So the neuron argument doesn't work. Almost every organ in your body has a neuronic system in there. Also, the heart and stomach work independently from the brain(google medical research)

You are just saying I'm anti technology. No, I'm for it, if it will be used for good only. With all the fraud in the government, academic science and the medical world, I have every right to defend myself.

We need to fire this heretic for being a pseudoscientist and a threat to "logic and reason"(sarcasm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l6VPpDublg#t=618

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

You've the freedom to believe what you wish. I'm actually quite content seeing everyone, myself included, as organic computers. Advanced as we may seem.

(However, i will concede that yes, your brain isn't a bunch of parts which can be compared one by one to computer hardware)

Edited by Michael
  • Brohoof 1

You've the freedom to believe what you wish. I'm actually quite content seeing everyone, myself included, as organic computers. Advanced as we may seem.

(However, i will concede that yes, your brain isn't a bunch of parts which can be compared one by one to computer hardware)

So when there is evidence for non locality.... you just simply ignore it? I will give you the freedom( something that your view doesn't allow) to view top neuroscientists that would oppose your idea. What people think of ESP and spirituality is not what it is in the media.

Also creating something better than the human brain is a paradox in of itself.

Don't take this too harshly, but i'd like to see more of said evidence before i change my mind. The whole subject seems a bit too... out there, for me. We know for a fact that the neurosciences are a new field of research, and there is much left to explore. Bear in mind i never said i reject or ignore anything, merely that i'm content with my current conclusions. Should i be convinced otherwise, my views might shift accordingly. 

• Brohoof 2

Don't take this too harshly, but i'd like to see more of said evidence before i change my mind. The whole subject seems a bit too... out there, for me. We know for a fact that the neurosciences are a new field of research, and there is much left to explore. Bear in mind i never said i reject or ignore anything, merely that i'm content with my current conclusions. Should i be convinced otherwise, my views might shift accordingly. 

Well there is evidence, just because you never seen it doesn't make it invalid. Also, I'm a researcher and many neuroscientists studies are not consistent. I linked you to most likely the best neuroscientist alive right now and he has accepted spirituality and ESP as FACT.

You can't break down the world to understand everything. It's kind of the reason why the planet is being destroyed and why humans are losing their health. 

Russell Targ

Rupert Sheldrake( I know ever hates him just because he's Sheldrake)

Michael Persinger 

Bruce Lipton 

These people are scientists and there are more people to provide proof. Also from my experience of out of body experiences and my personal ESP experience, this is a legit thing that no one can call me crazy about, just because it never happened to them.

So if you want proof, you need to take it for face value. People will deny everything they can't objectify. Frequencies aren't matter, sound is not matter, light is not matter...Yet these things are in our world as common everyday taken for granted natural phenomena.

So you need to read, what I give you. And you can't be emotional over the fact if collides with what you believe. 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne
  • Brohoof 1

I always interpreted the idea as your brain is comparable to a computer,but isn't one.I don't have enough of an opinion to discuss this topic.Just adding my 2c.

Is there a field of science devoted to working on biological computers that use living cells to store memory instead of hardware? DNA computers or something I think they refer to them as.

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 1