Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Learning German

Arielle

I always though learning German would be fun. I have German heritage after all. (My great grandparents were from Germany.) Also, a lot of really badass music is sung in German. (Such as an Attack on Titan, and Kill la Kill songs.) 

be glad you dont understand what they are singing :D

• Brohoof 1

I always hear that people say that German sounds very romantic.. :muffins:

As a native speaker i think that this is crazy, because german is indeed a very hard and rough language sometimes..

Zerschmettert und verbrennt die Brücken, zurück blicken sollt Ihr nicht, ausser Ihr sucht eueren Tod.

• Brohoof 1

Nehme Ich drie yahre Deutsch lernen auf High Schule und ein halb wurterbuch ins Universitat. 

^_^ Wow, surprised I retained that much. I'm certain that I have some arrangement issues in there, but still impressed since I haven't taken a formal class in 2 years. 

PS: Sorry, my computer doesn't do umlauts. :P 

• Brohoof 1

I actually attempted to learn German online two years ago (for just a freakin day xD), the basics seem really easy, and although I don't remember anything, it was an interesting experience nonetheless.

And I recently saw this interesting video:

I would recommend that you follow along and read the description carefully while listening ;) You will be surprised to see the similarities between German and English.

Overall, I think German is a really beautiful language. But personally I would prefer to learn Dutch ^_^

• Brohoof 2

You will be surprised to see the similarities between German and English.

That's because English and German are both West Germanic languages, of course there'd be similarities.

Been wanting to learn German for a while now as I have German heritage, but haven't found any local teachers. Oh well.

• Brohoof 3

Meine Eltern kamen aus Düsseldorf!

I know very little German, but I pick up a few words and phrases here and there.

I would recommend that you follow along and read the description carefully while listening ;) You will be surprised to see the similarities between German and English.

Incidentally, I was part of a discussion about that earlier this evening. English has roots in German, as well as Latin, Greek, and Old French. It's thus not surprising German and English would share a good deal in common.

We also love to borrow words from German; "flak", for example, is taken from the German acronym for Flugzeugabwehrkanon (aircraft defense cannon). Such a practical language!

• Brohoof 4

I don't recommended using online translators in the slightest, should you want to learn another language. Due to issues like homophones, context, pronoun usage, length, etc. 

A good old-fashioned book will suffice. Or if you're like me and multitask, try text-to-speech software and let the computer read it for you. 

• Brohoof 2

I don't recommended using online translators in the slightest, should you want to learn another language. Due to issues like homophones, context, pronoun usage, length, etc. 

A good old-fashioned book will suffice. Or if you're like me and multitask, try text-to-speech software and let the computer read it for you.

An extra and general piece of advice that goes well with any language is having a girlfriend/boyfriend or a good friend who is a native. You can always just write a piece of text to them and they'll tell you if you're correct and correct you if you make any mistakes :squee:

• Brohoof 2

An extra and general piece of advice that goes well with any language is having a girlfriend/boyfriend or a good friend who is a native. You can always just write a piece of text to them and they'll tell you if you're correct and correct you if you make any mistakes :squee:

Amen to that. I have an English-German / German-English lexicon I use from time to time. It comes in handy should you want to drive telemarketers batty.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Being German myself, I always find it fascinating and a bit amusing how people with other native languages are so fascinated by German. Well, I know the effect myself, but it's English in my case. I guess even though there are a lot of similarities, the difference is still big enough to give German - or English - a little "exotic" feeling. But this is of course not limited to only these two languages.

I disliked learning English in school, though. My English teachers in the last years of school couldn't maintain my interest in the language, but TV-Shows, the internet and music did so after I graduated. But German was never a problem. German curriculums in Germany are filled with Schiller, Goethe, Dürrenmatt, Schnitzler ... and I just happened to like most of these authors. :lol:

• Brohoof 3

Amen to that. I have an English-German / German-English lexicon I use from time to time. It comes in handy should you want to drive telemarketers batty.  :lol:

Oh my, that is the best! Using a language on a telemarketer that isn't English or Spanish is a sure fire way to make they choke up.  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...