• Depends on targeted person.
  2. 2. Can compliment be insult?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Depends on targeted person.
  3. 3. Can insults hurt you?

• Yes.
    • No.

You're not a kid. You shouldn't feel bad.

I've only just turned 13 so I would still consider myself a kid

Even then that's insulting to all people who aren't kids that get offended by insults and to all kids

• Brohoof 1

Well, yes. I think that when people insult each other, they mean to hurt them. Acknowledging that someone else demonstrates apathy towards you or towards something you do/like is pretty far from pleasant, in my opinion. However, you can choose whether to be affected by them or to simply ignore it.

Having an open mind and making sure to keep yourself - and only yourself - satisfied is the key to shutting down the so-called "haters" out there. It depends a lot on self-esteem and/or maturity. Most of the times, people who insult others are just jealous, and they don't know where else to unleash their frustration. So shame on them!

• Brohoof 1

I've only just turned 13 so I would still consider myself a kid

Even then that's insulting to all people who aren't kids that get offended by insults and to all kids

When I mean "kid" I'm referring to kids of about 3 to 8 years old. Those who don't realize what other people are talking about. Those who can't recognize the magnitude of an insult.

I would never insult or offend a partner like you. I'm very sorry if I did, but realize, you'r not a kid anymore. At least not to me. You're at least pre-pubescent.

When I mean "kid" I'm referring to kids of about 3 to 8 years old. Those who don't realize what other people are talking about. Those who can't recognize the magnitude of an insult.

That's still insulting to said kids of said ages intelligence

That's still insulting to said kids of said ages intelligence

I'm not questioning their knowledge, but rather their experience on life. Kids are the ones that don't know what's out there, they don't realize about what's good and evil in the world. Neither do I, but I have an idea.

I can't insult a child, it's not their fault that they're still in the phase of learning. What I'm trying to say is that some kids, if not most tend to be offended easily by the most little thing.

Please, don't show yourself as a kid, because you're not, and ignore me, because you can if you want.

The internet is community based so if one person thinks it's okay to call me an 'autistic faggot who should kill themself' then others follow suit. That's why moderation is the only way round it.

I get that same insult a lot. 

I know they shouldn't hurt, and people who are hurt by insults should get off the internet, but they still hurt. It hurts more knowing that insults are encouraged. 

• Brohoof 1

Insults, as they are, can never hurt me because they are often said at the heat of a moment or out pure spite. Even then, i consider those casting insults in my direction beneath me and ignore them.

I can't see an insult being taken as a compliment - it was meant to degrade a person, and not to praise them - it's the thought that counts. The other way around is applicable, in my opinion; i'll never accept a compliment which i feel wasn't warranted. It makes me feel inadequate and pitied, and is outright rude.

• Brohoof 1

yeah.  depends though.  everyone has a sore spot, and if someone insults you with something that you already feel bad about, it's going to hurt whether you believe it or not.  

• Brohoof 1

I don't like that attitude. The attitude that says that reacting to insults is pointless and meaningless. By saying that, you imply that all reactions to words somebody says are meaningless. Whether insult or compliment. Words are meaningful, words are important. Be they negative or positive, they affect all of us regardless of whether or not we wish to admit it.

We are social creatures based around the concept of communication. It's pretty unavoidable, no matter how stoic you are. I guarantee there will be at least one insult about an insecurity that can get under your skin. Don't feel like an insult shouldn't hurt you. It should, because you're human and you have feelings. It's that sort of attitude, restraining your pain and trying to be the tough guy... it only serves to make things worse. It's better to admit to the feelings of pain rather than ignore them, and then move away from the insult once you have sufficiently expressed your emotions. 

Because I revolve so much around words, insults are very painful to me. I take most of them really hard. I'm constantly dishing out insults at myself, though I'm trying to stop. And I have received many from others. As time passes, I become less sensitive to them. But they still hurt a lot. It's because I want to appear perfect to the rest of the world, not unfinished, broken, or flawed. I cannot stand the idea of something being wrong with me, or people picking at my weaknesses. I have a big defensive instinct to keep myself from feeling pain.

It doesn't help that I always want to try to consider the truth behind every insult. Maybe that insult this time really was true? How can I know? I want to take the words behind the insult, and improve myself with them. I almost take them as awful constructive criticism sometimes. Just can't allow myself to know that things are wrong and not fix them. It's a good trait, but it's also detrimental when I try to fix things when nothing was wrong.

Of course, that doesn't mean that just calling me a dumbass will hurt my feelings. Insults have to have a little more depth than just meaningless curse words. They have to target specific traits about me, specific insecurities. Calling me clingy, saying that my art is bad, calling me fat/insulting my body, and telling me I am worthless to everyone because my creativity doesn't create necessary or tangible results... those will get at me. There are countless other ways to get at me, but I can't remember all of them.

I'm so overly defensive, that I even take compliments as insults sometimes. Proving that yes, they can be taken as insults. But I don't see how an insult can be taken as a compliment. Of course, that's just me. I'm always trying to protect myself from being insulted at every given time, twisting peoples' words to insult me sometimes. It's something I'm working on.

• Brohoof 1

Insults can make me angry if I feel like the person is mistaken, but make me depressed if they have a point, and the insult is...well it's pointing out the truth. That's mainly what happens to me. I wouldn't take it as a compliment :huh:...

Edited by SparkWolf
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I find insults to be hurtful at first, but then I think back to that time and say "I don't want to be that guy" so it makes me stronger. Now ignoring someone, is a different story; the worst insult ever in my opinion.

Thoughts are neurochemical reactions, and if someone says something that evokes a negative emotion or thought, they are effectively causing a negative chemical reaction. So I would say that words could hurt.

I do believe that insults could also be interpreted as compliments and vice versa. For example, I am sometimes insulted (irrationally) when someone tells me that I did my best doing something because I associate failure with anger and disappointment.

Edited by Arctic Night

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will always leave psychological wounds that will never heal."

Yeah, I prefer that one much more.

And really it all just depends how you say it and who you say it to. Sarcasm usually automatically makes something an insult. Insults can hurt you but only if you let them, personally I'm extremely sensitive I just typically don't show it. Insults do get to me but eventually you either learn to hide that fact or just not care what anyone thinks.

Hell, I get more offended if someone insults my favorite character than me.  :please:

Edited by WheatleyCore

Insults, for the most part, don't bother me. Such words can only hurt you if you let them. Life gave us armor and a shield for a reason.

Insults Don't Hurt Me,In Real Life And Internet

Can an insult be a compliment?,Yes,But Only People Im Close with

Can A Compliment be an insult?,Again Depends on the person,Most likely strangers who compliment me

And lastly,Does Insults Hurt me?

Nope.avi

Well, typically i don't give a flying fuck about what people say about me. Now, if the insults turn to harassment, it's likely things are going to get rough for them.

It hurts me a little but then that feeling goes away and I leave it behind, generally. But context and who's saying it also depends on how I'd react to insults.

If someone is just being an asshole and making meaningless insults, then I wouldn't care that much.

But if someone is insulting me for doing something terrible or being an asshole or something else then it would hurt me. It would hurt me but make me think about myself and my actions. But I don't think I've had this happen to me before.

If someone close to me insulted me, it would hurt me (not a lot, though) and make me think about what I've done to get that.

• 2 weeks later...

Banter is fair nuff, insult each other as much as you like

But an honest to god insult from a friend will hurt me

WHICH IS WHY I DONT HAVE FRIENDS :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I think its reasonable to say they do. These are comments pointing out a fault about someone, making it look as if that person is inferior. The reason why they are is because they probably want to put down someone or make themselves feel better by comparison.

Whether or not its a insult depends mostly on how someone says it, then who they're saying it to is a smaller factor.