2. 2. Can compliment be insult?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Depends on targeted person.
  3. 3. Can insults hurt you?

• Yes.
    • No.

For me it really depends on the person.

If its like a person who's famous in his classroom or in school, then it's just a joke.

But like me, if it's someone who gets bullied and teased, it's just an insult.

But it's also actually depends from WHO it comes.

If it's from someone close, you're naturally just hurt if you can hear the harshness <<or something.

If not, they're joking and probably giggling/laughing with it.

If it's from someone you hate, you probably just anger yourself with ''Why defück would you say that?''.

If you don't know them, it goes the same with hate, or you just ignore it because you don't know them..

But because I'm really, and I mean really, sensitive;

YES.

Insults hurt me.

• Brohoof 1

I used to let insults get to me when I was in Middle school. I've learned to not take certain insults very serious. Some people just like to insult for fun and just to pick on people. 

Depends on the person. Normal people I dealt with at school that would insult me, I never let get to me, because they were not a part of my life and I did not care for them. If my friends insulted me in a bad way and not a joking way, yes that can hurt. I never really let it ruin my day if one of me and my friend's were in a fight and they insulted me. If they insulted my family, then yes. That was a problem. Now, if my family were to insult me in a bad way, that hurts a lot worse, but I have some family members whom I barely consider for family for all they want to do, is insult.

I guess it depends on how bad it gets. If someone were to call me a "bi*ch" then I just shrug my shoulders and move on. If it were a threat or anything insulting my family or friends, I will teat them apart. From someone like me being bullied my entire Middle school life, I finally stood up and learned to defend myself. Insults do not hurt me as much as a they used to.

insults can't hurt me because my comebacks are flawless...... if its someone I know and they insult me I usually point out their flaws and if it someone I don't know I say "you have the balls to walk up to some random stranger and insult them" and I usually end that sentence with "how stupid are you?" or "that's sad" unless they are joking and I can tell the difference between someone joking and someone serious

so no they can't hurt me..... because I have been hurt worse.....

Edited by Bonnie The Bunny

I don't see what the big deal is.

I don't have any reason to be hurt by something as trivial as insults. The worst thing they can do is annoy me, and that's mostly when they're insulting my intelligence. Assuming I have any.

I don't see how insults are compliments, or vice versa. I always thought insults were insults, and compliments were compliments.

Actually now that I think about it, one could argue that someone insulting you could be taken as a compliment in specific situations.

Too bad poor Nahman was in the right.

Edited by SpaceOnion

Can some shmuck on the internet who is looking to get me aggravated to get their rocks off hurt me? No, I don't care about their opinion.

Can a close friend or family member who knows me and in a fit of rage go right for the verbal jugular hurt? Hell yes. 

As for the examples of the op...well again if I don't know you and you are just insulting me to insult me I really could care less, but it boils down to their tone of voice and the way they say it. If they are just joking around and making an innocent jab that's one thing, but if their intent is to aggravate that's when its an insult. Granted not everyone has these stipulations but that's just me. 

• 1 year later...

As in me personally? No. I've been called everything in the book at this point. It all runs off of me like water off of a raincoat. The insult that I love to receive the most is being called a fascist, because then I get to post this.

post-35992-0-97170000-1463711668_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

Insults can't hurt unless we allow them to. The hurt comes from within us when they make us question ourselves and whether we measure up. The fact is, we all measure up to our own standards and no one else can determine or dictate what those standards should be. Only us. So if someone insults me, I don't care. For all they know, they don't measure up by my standards. It's all relative, and frankly meaningless.

• Brohoof 1

I ignore most of the insults i receive, but one that i really don't like is someone saying that i am "dumb"

Look, i'm not the most attractive guy around and definitely not the most strong and i almost completely hate myself.

But if it is something I'm proud of is my intelligence and calling me "dumb" really makes me angry.

As for myself most insults won't really hurt unless they are targeted at my insecurities, those ones really hurt me. They cause you to fixate on that insecurity question if you're good enough or whatever depending on which type of insecurity.

I know in general a lot of people will find most insults hurtful.

Yes, it depends on who it is targeted at and how its done. Calling someone stupid is an insult, so is framing them in some crime to perform character assassination. With most comments directed at you personally on sites like YT, it is probably easier for the majority to brush it off. When it comes to your family, your way of life, your style, or anything else that is personal and close to you and that you may have some insecurities about, then its really easy to hit. I've been on and off with how patriotic I can be, and that is influenced by what I get in my mailbox every week or so. It's amazing how I can feel so high and then I get a comment just going in depth about everything someone did that is rightfully wrong and bringing me back down to a state of uncertainty.

Insults are meant to hurt you. So if you let yourself get too worked up about them, you're giving the other person exactly what they want, which is even worse. Just be chill  :P

arguing with someone is one thing, but often it just devolves into who can dish out the better insult, which is pointless.

• 2 years later...

Oh yes, insults do hurt my feelings. I would overthink the words that others say to me again and again, and I would never forget anything they ever said.

Every word, every action and every energy would go straight to my heart. Some ponies say I'm too sensitive, but the truth is that I just care too much. 

• Brohoof 1

Meh I couldn't care less if people insult me. I tends to take pleasure from it. It's best not to give them the satisfaction.  

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

It depends on who is throwing the insult at me. If it's a random stranger than sure I'm not even phased by it oddly enough, and I usually have a smooth comeback up my sleeve for them :fiery:, but if it's from someone who is of great importance to me or someone I think highly of, then yeah, it can hurt..

Edited by Lucky Bolt

I do tend to be bothered by it easily at times, mainly because of my near nonexistent self esteem. That is one of the reasons why I insult myself so often though. If I insult myself, then nobody will have any fuel against me. Basically beating them to the punch.

Intent is the deciding factor for this discussion, in my opinion. When I was younger, my older brother used to call me an assortment of insults to provoke a reaction from me (often successfully). In this case, the insults were "genuine," but not necessarily malicious. If he were to genuinely call me such things out of malice or spite, then it would hurt much more than simple older sibling teasing. There is also the issue of backhanded compliments ("Woah, you actually look like a civilized human being now!"), or at least those which can be interpreted incorrectly.

In short... intent is at the heart of the issue, but anything is up to interpretation.

Definitely. I'm pretty sensitive to insults, and it's taken the fun out of most multiplayer games for me. Being told I'm bad because I'm not a god tier player or that I don't deserve to live because I'm part of a fandom really doesn't do much to make me feel happy. I don't see why some people feel the need to bring others down for absolutely no reason at all. That being said, I can tell the difference between harmless banter and rude insults.