Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Rocks Soundtrack

Andaasonsan

Ah damn it! I caved in precisely 0.0 seconds. Forget waiting for the movie I'm listening to this now!!

Edit: Fantastic album. Ingram and Andrews blew this one clear out of the water. This makes EQG 1 look like a joke by comparison.

I have heard the Great and Powerful Trixie sing, I am so happy :wau:

The songs on the album are much higher quality than what we've heard already. 

Trixie's song (Tricks Up My Sleeve) is ridiculously catchy and also hilarious.

"Welcome to the Show" seems to be what we'll hear during the inevitable rock off battle between the Rainbooms and the Dazzlings and it is epic.

Rainbow Dash's song "Awesome As I Want to Be" is a fun little punk rock song.

Daniel Ingram has definitely been on top form with this album and everything on this album is going to be instant hits with bronies.

@@joecal97

• Brohoof 3

Shine Like Rainbows almost made me QQ

I really don't think this album is in order of how they'll appear in the movie.

-Rainbow Rocks
Quite Clearly the intro. catchy as fuck. I can almost picture the opening credits rolling during this.

-Better Than Ever
Nice song. About on par with EQG 1's songs, but not on the level of catchiness of the rest of the songs. This one will come towards the beginning, just to reinforce the idea of their unity.

-Under Our Spell
Probably a montage song as the school falls to their siren's songs and fight amongst each other, each preparing their own bands.

-Tricks Up My Sleeve

Don't know what to make of this one as far as movie placement goes. I guess they could deviate from the story and characters just for a Trixie song.....As far as quality goes, it's good. Appropriate for the character I suppose.

-Shake Your tail

Is this really gonna be in the movie, or just on the OST because of the short? I have swerved my car back and forth countless times while listening to this to and from work. Needless to say, I like it.

-Welcome to the Show

Sounds like we're getting one Dazzlings song, followed by a Mane 6, which won't result in any kind of resolution through the actual battle of the bands, meaning we'll get conflict resolution through other means, like the rainbow laser of death again or something. The second half of the song sounds like it actually would happen after that conflict resolution, but for the purpose of the OST they combined them maybe? Otherwise it would be weird to have a Dazzlings song followed by 2 Mane 6. I loved the 2nd half of this song. it builds up well, and it's just great. maybe i'm just being thrown off by the break in the song midway through and it is just 1 mane 6 song and not 2.

-Awesome As I Want To Be

if you don't like "I'm Awesome!" Dash, you won't like this. I can't really imagine a Dash solo going any other way. I have a theory, based on the previews, that Dash will steer the band in a bad direction, culminating in this song at one point. Might even have negative consequences somehow, like turning the students against the Mane 6.

-Let's have A Battle of the Bands

Didn't like this one at first, but it's kinda growing on me. This one obviously comes after Sunset's tour, so well before most of the songs on the OST.

-Shine Like Rainbows

Credits song. By far my favorite, perhaps even of the entire series. I didn't think it was possible to top Smile Song. There's just something so goodhearted about the song that exemplifies everything the show has been about since 10/10/10. Like I said earlier, almost QQ'd. Truly a profoundly beautiful song.

-Music To My Ears

Not a fan of the video, or dubstep, but this is still mp3 worthy on its own.

• Brohoof 1

Purchased, listened, still mulling it over so I'll be back. Some thoughts.

Finally ... the return of a signature phrase of the show and fandom. B)

Trying to see if Trixie has a different singing V/A, and this may be my favorite song in the film.

Shine Like Rainbows feels like an MLP song.

Oh Kazumi Evans ... y u so song pretty?! :please:

Well, from what you're all saying, sounds like this should be awesome. 

Debating with myself if I should give it a listen or not. :unsure: ... I really want to hear Rainbow Dash's solo. ( Best singer of the mane 6 imo. B)  )

• Brohoof 1

Was on youtube the other night and was like I'm gonna look up the soundtrack for giggles. So I did and actually found it and was like crap do I listen to it and spoil a few songs?

And I clicked on it.

And I downloaded 4 of the songs from it. Rainbow Rocks, Awesome As I Want To Be, Shine Like Rainbows and Welcome To The Show.

I was not disappointed, maybe only with the Trixie song. But I have a strong dislike for Trixie so my opinion on the song is kinda biased.

My favorite is Shine Like Rainbows. Everytime I hear Applejack kick off the vocals I have a spasm in my brain. I love that song so much!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to stop half way through to avoid spoiling too much, since so much has been spoiled... already. From what I have listened to, it's gonna take some time to process what happened. The good news is that I heard Trixie's got a number, so it's a lucky day for fans of her.

• Brohoof 2

Ok, I said I would give a review on the music. I'm not one of those guys that can go into the technical aspects of pop music like this. So layman Jeric strikes again.  In general this feels like an upgrade from the first film, that draw inspiration from the fandom but overall felt too predictable and didn't do much to move the story.

Track 1 (Rainbow Rocks) and 2 (Better Than Ever) are the low points of this album for me. Not because they are bad songs per se, but because they are really the same theme just dressed up a little different. It feels like that Ingram made them both for the same moment in the film and presented them as an either/or option and Hasbro said use them both. I don't know, there is just not much there to differentiate them.

Track (Under Our Spell) is the first of the Dazzling songs. This was released without any video during ComicCon so I've heard this. I like the sound, and this one appears to be a plot mover perhaps. Not completely sure.

Track 4 (Tricks up My Sleeve). Yeah, ok. I straight up love this song. I assume that this is Kathleen Barr singing this and if it is she needs a song battle against someone in a future episode of FiM ... because DAMN. That jazzy/rock hybrid works and distinguishes a little from the rest of the songs. This one I can't wait to hear in the theater ... even though I pretty much know what I am going to get. Props for the team in not making this a joke song like a certain CMC song in season one. I also can't get this song out of my head.

Track 5 (Shake Your Tail) is ok I guess. We've all heard this before and it looks and feels like a time movement/montage song.

Track 6 (Welcome to the Show) is the most perplexing of them all. No spoilers here, but this is one that has perhaps the most plot centric aspects involved. I like both bands featured as well as a certain unexpected verse. While not as catchy as Trixie's song this one is what I am the most desperate to see on screen. WTF is happening in the silent moment after the Dazzling's crescendo?

Track 7 (Awesome as I Want To Be) is actually going to be a big central point to some conflict ... as a song it's Punk (and dare I say if you had a horn or two ... Ska) Rock influence allows it to stand out a little. It is Dash's first solo (albeit not Pony Dash) and I found it started growing on me a little.

Track 8 (Let's Have a Battle) is my favorite of the earlier released songs and it still is a good one. An Anti-Cafeteria Song - it sets up the main external conflict that will go through the movie. Kazumi Evans voice is perfect for Adagio.

Track 9 (Shine Like Rainbows) feels like the Season 4 Finale closing song, but doesn't sound like it. I can't put my finger it why yet, but t feel a little like it belongs in the main series. Of course Mysterious Voice  shows up in this and I like her singing as that character :D

Track 10 (Music to My Ears) Yeah - Like this better in the video. It loses something for me not seeing the world as Vinyl sees it. :confused:

Overall 7/10 - Worth the purchase.

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...

My one problem with the soundtrack is that the order of the songs on the soundtrack is not in the same order as they used in the final film. I prefer movie soundtracks to have the songs in the same order as the film so I can quickly summed up what happens in the film between the tracks. Most other movie soundtracks I own put all their vocal songs first on the soundtrack in order of being heard in the film first then list the score (background music heard through the film) second.

Here's how the order should have been if it was faithful to the film's order They will be spoilers to the plot of the movie.

Rainbow Rocks: The opening credits theme

Better than Ever: This song shows us how the Humane 6 power up whenever they play their "Instruments of Harmony"

Let's Have a Battle(of the Bands): The Dazzlings sing in the cafeteria and start the hate plague among the student body.

Shake Your Tail: This song is sung by the Rainbooms in an early round of the Battle of the Bands while other "Under the Dazzlings' Spell" students try to mess the Rainbooms up. The soundtrack version sounds like a uninterrupted version compared to the film.

Under Our Spell: As the Dazzlings sing this song, a montage plays, showing the Rainbooms and other bands beating each other and moving closer to the finals.

Awesome as I Want to Be: Rainbooms' song during the Semi-Finals. Compared to the soundtrack, the movie is missing the 2nd half due to Sunset cutting the song short, fearing the Rainbooms' plan against the Dazzlings would be revealed.

Tricks up My Sleeve: Trixie's song. Though we first hear the ending verse to this song before Awesome as I Wanna Be in the film, the majority of this song is barely heard during our heroes arguing with each other. The soundtrack features it uninterrupted.

Welcome to the Show: The climatic duel song between the Rainbooms and the Dazzlings. In the film, its lyrics are split into 3 parts by turning points of dialog: 1)The Dazzlings powering up; 2)The Rainbooms fighting back but are overpowered by the Dazzlings; 3) Sunset Shimmer takes a stand and finally sings, leading to the Dazzlings' defeat. The full song is on the soundtrack without the dialog

Shine Like Rainbows: The closing credits theme

Music to my Ears is a bonus track that was heard NOT in the film, but in the short of the same name on YouTube.

So like I said, I enjoy the songs but just don't like the soundtrack order.