Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About Sunset Shimmer's Transformation

Fractured

You guys helped me before on the Rainbow Dash idea, so i'm asking for help again. Question: does this look odd to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqJd5oApEw

Specifically, within the first 30 seconds or so. When she puts on the crown, she doesn't look happy, she looks like something went wrong; she even starts to cry. Do you think it's possible that this was the point where she realized she was wrong, but it was too late to stop the change? Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 2

Let me first say i have no idea and what i say is speculation and will most likely never be confirmed or denied because cartoon.  :maud:

However, i assume it was because upon trying to wield the crown for a less than noble reason , it corrupted her and on the cusp of realizing she is about to lose herself to a greater darkness -- yet also in 'no turning back now' situation so to say, she thus felt remorse and fear.  :maud:

The memory loss is due to the fact her demon form(or w/e you want to call it) wasn't truly her anymore one could say. Or it could just be because the EoH cleansed her corruption and thus possibly the memories of her demon form with it. Or because cartoon.  :maud:  

• Brohoof 3

I may have been reading too much into that scene, then, my bad.  :blink:

Yah when I watched that sneak peek a bit I fell over laughing just on the mind set....

• Brohoof 1

I didn't get any vibes about her forgetting about her transformation in all the trailers. As for the OP, transformations can be painful, rearranging bones and what not. A good example is Freeza

He doesn't look like a happy camper in quite a few moments

• Brohoof 2

I think that was because she didn't expect it to be that powerful. I think she was surprised. I don't know If that's the right answer but it seems to me like that.

This right here. It looks to me she was just surprised ( and scared ) in a way.

• Brohoof 1

Putting aside the memory loss red herring, I actually do believe that she 'lost' a herself during and after the transformation. Yep her motivation was petty and her desire to take over Equestria with an enslaved race was villainous, but her line regarding Spike and not being a monster along with the tears does lend itself to your head canon Shimmer5000 - regardless of memory.

Also, it's very possible from everything we know from official sneaks and the soundtrack that this head canon may help to bridge the completion of her redemption arc that we are 6 days away from seeing. It's her singing about not letting the Dazzlings break her and that she won't be drawn into needing popularity. Looks to me Sunset is going to be a 'plan B' component for the Dazzlings goals when Twilight shows up and starts to worry them. I bet we see Demon Shimmer again. all speculation

:D

Putting aside the memory loss red herring, I actually do believe that she 'lost' a herself during and after the transformation. Yep her motivation was petty and her desire to take over Equestria with an enslaved race was villainous, but her line regarding Spike and not being a monster along with the tears does lend itself to your head canon Shimmer5000 - regardless of memory.

Also, it's very possible from everything we know from official sneaks and the soundtrack that this head canon may help to bridge the completion of her redemption arc that we are 6 days away from seeing. It's her singing about not letting the Dazzlings break her and that she won't be drawn into needing popularity. Looks to me Sunset is going to be a 'plan B' component for the Dazzlings goals when Twilight shows up and starts to worry them. I bet we see Demon Shimmer again. all speculation

:D

Removing the memory bit, since there's not much of a basis for it, and it doesn't contribute to the conversation much.

While she certainly had bad intentions, I don't think she was ever fully evil. She was chasing the wrong idea(that power is everything), and it took her getting power to realize it wasn't what she was looking for. Like Discord, she seems to genuinely value friendship more. Her actions in the trailers lend themselves to it; she seems genuinely embarrassed at the things she did, and a bit terrified at what the students think of her.

I agree with the idea of the Dazzlings testing her. Though i'm more willing to accept her being genuine than, say, Tirek, that much power is tempting, and it'd be a great test of her character.

Oh I don't believe she was ever inherently evil either (unlike Sombra or Tirek). Ill intentioned and misguided villainy doesn't always go hand in hand with evil.

She was a bad puppy that need a good snack on the nose. If they do what I think they are going to ... this will also improve my opinion of the end of the first film. Sunset Shimmer is - little by little - becoming a character I'm starting to love.

This movie will be as much (or more) about her as Twilight and Dash. I sense much conflict in this film.

In terms of evilness

Nightmare Moon: Psychotic and petty, she's pretty high on the evil list

Luna(Pre-NMM): She was throwing a tantrum like a spoiled brat and seeked to depose Celestia, but considering her transformation, it's doubtful she'd have killed anyone

Discord: Pretty evil, but not as bad as some other villains. More like a bully with too much power

Chrysalis: Very evil, she's a sadistic rapist with no motivation other than she wants power

Sombra: Most evil out of all of them, created slaves solely to make ponies suffer and was about eat Spike

Sunset Shimmer: A douchey bully, but with morals

Demon Shimmer: Merciless, considering she tried to kill Twilight

Tirek: Again one of the more evil ones, took full joy in draining ponies to a husk and liked playing with Discord's emotions

Oh I don't believe she was ever inherently evil either (unlike Sombra or Tirek). Ill intentioned and misguided villainy doesn't always go hand in hand with evil.

She was a bad puppy that need a good snack on the nose. If they do what I think they are going to ... this will also improve my opinion of the end of the first film. Sunset Shimmer is - little by little - becoming a character I'm starting to love.

This movie will be as much (or more) about her as Twilight and Dash. I sense much conflict in this film.

We've seen a little of her personality, but she's currently caught in a mopey phase in the trailer,, so I think there's a lot more to her. Here's to hoping she becomes her own character, and not simply Twilight 2.

Sunset Shimmer has nothing to gain for being bad. She was only popular by bad reputation and she ruined anyone who was a threat. Others were afraid of her and didn't like her anyway.

Sunset Shimmer's story is going to be about her recognizing how much of an outcast she has made herself.

I don't see her being a Twilight 2.0. The EG Twilight isn't even like the FIM Twilight.

Edited by Singe

According to what I heard though no detail has been gone into about this it is rumored that the Elements of Harmony supposedly have the power to purify the heart of whoever they're used on. That's why everypony who was defeated by them ended up reforming.

Purify the heart which is just another way of saying magical brain wash in FIM. Magical corruption is someone being changed from good to an evil monster like in Sailor Moon. Sunset Shimmer made her decision of her own free will to do bad things. Or are we to believe that Unicorns/Alicorns do not make the decision to be bad and they're just ticking time bombs that switch to evil becoming addicts to their own power.

Edited by Singe