Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would You Like To Have Device/Smart Phone App That Could Spot Bronies?

GXPBlast

In the past I created a thread about having bronydar or brony radar which mean shaving the ability of spotting a brony based on personality or appearance. The key with bronydar is being able to find out somebody is a brony just based on how they behave, their appearance, interests and what they wear. More can be found about it in my older thread. Basically with bronydar you can spot a brony of what mentioned above without such person actually giving away any hints like references of the show, outright saying they are a brony or wearing pony merchandise.

The thread can be found here.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/89279-do-you-have-bronydar-brony-radar-being-able-to-spot-a-brony/

I was able to spot bronies based on this technique such as at my college who has since graduated and another I saw at the train station. For the person at my college I was able to get to know them and I eventually asked them if they were a brony as I got friendly with them and they would later confirm they were.

For the guy I met at the train station, I was able to confirm they were a brony after I got a glance at his phone as he was watching MLP. Before I saw his phone all that I could see was a DBZ shirt, and a sailer moon sidebag. Furthermore, nothing else he was wearing or had on him was MLP related. I just had a strong feeling he was a brony. It took about 5 minutes before he walked in front of me and it turns out I assumed right.

However, the problem with bronydar is that its not super accurate. Sure I can go up to random individuals that I assume are bronies but I could be wrong and it would be very awkward. Plus just going up to random people to see if they are bronies would be kind of creepy without getting to know them.

I really want to meet bronies in public as I have already made a reputation at my school of not being a brony and it would be rather hypocritical to come out as one. Plus as I am relatively closeted, I dont want to deal with drama in school. I have encountered dozens of people in public that I assumed were bronies and I am sure many of them could have been but as I mentioned before I cant go up to random people in public and ask unless they were wearing obvious merchandise which would be a great conversation starter.

This has me thinking, for people like me who want to meet other bronies, would it be awesome to have a device or app for our smartphones that would allow you to know if somebody was a brony? Basically you point it at a person you suspected was a brony and anyone who also had the app would let you know if they were one so if you ever went up to them and got to know them, you can casually bring up MLP and thus meet a fellow brony.

The reason I say this is because I am sure there are many bronies surrounding us but due to the negative societal stigma that surround being a brony, many of us dont wear merchandise in public unless we are at a meetup of convention.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

The only way an app like that would function at all would be like a google maps app.

Bronies could add a relative (or exact if they are super trusting) location of themselves to a map, and you could check it to see if you are near any local bronies. The issue with a "point and tell" app is it would be almost impossible to actually make without any user input on both ends. You can't really have a program that tells you if someone is a brony, if they don't first input anything that would lead to that conclusion.

• Brohoof 2

I phone app isn't going to be able to determine whose a brony just by behavior. The only way an app like this would work is if it detected other people who had the app.

You could always just borrow the NSA database, more than enough stored info on any US citizen on there to figure out via behavioral algorithms who is a brony.  

• Brohoof 2

I really don't think I'd care for something like that. If I happen to meet another brony around, cool, if not, oh well. I already know 2.

You can't tell if somebody is a brony by behavior and I personally don't want this app. I already have 4 rl friends who like ponies sooo.

Edited by Shift

Seeing how alot of bronies also like Anime it may pick up Otaku's instead so it might backfire. Maybe as Banul said 

This app would only work on people who also have the app. Basically once they have the app installed on their smartphone, other bronies can use it to spot each other to avoid those random awkward encounters with people you assume are bronies but are not.

Wouldn't the app be very similar to the Nintendo's DS?

Those things have something called "Street-Pass", like u get close to someone else who also has the app and you get notified.

Either way, the app will probably allow me to bump into a range of interesting people.

Edited by SwigglySwiggly

Wouldn't the app be very similar to the Nintendo's DS?

Those things have something called "Street-Pass", like u get close to someone else who also has the app and you get notified.

Either way, the app will probably allow me to bump into a range of interesting people.

That is a great idea. I hope some brony out there will create such an app.

Edited by GXPBlast

Interesting, it could quite possibly be like the nintendo 3DS street pass. An app that you downlode and it tells you if you passed another brony or if one is near by XD

Tho this could be used in a bad way too...

I think this would be a great idea for people to meet other bronies. I mean lets face it you, me and others probably walked by a many bronies and did not even know it as not every brony  makes it obvious that they are one such as wearing merchandise and  have pony backgrounds or ringtones. Sure there have been many we suspected are ones but it could go wrong and it would be very awkward just to go up to someone and ask if they are a brony. I would like this app because I dont go to conventions or meetups and wont announce that i am a brony at my school so it would be awesome to meet some bronies this way in public.

In theory, an app or device that can be used to detect other bronies near or around you SOUNDS like a good idea...

My fear is that the wrong kind of people would use this to attack or harm bronies. We still have people who are very intolerant of bronies, people who will get violent. I think message boards, conventions, and such are the only true way of doing it safely. Any other way is a risk.