Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you afraid to cry?

碇 シンジン

Cry  

126 users have voted

1. 1. Are you afraid to cry?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Have you cried in the last 5 years?

• Yes.
    • No.

I think that crying isn't anything bad at all, but the society these days makes it seem like it is. I have cried many times at school and at home I cry kinda often if you compare to someone else. However I try not to cry at school anymore, because I feel so embarrassed and weak when I do. Everyone just watches at me saying nothing that is the worst feeling. You just wish that you could hide under a rock. I don't know but when I heard someone that called me crybaby that just stroke me really deep. So deep that I can still feel it. That might be the reason why I hide all my feelings when I'm in front of everyones eyes.

So yes I'm afraid of crying. I try all my best to not to cry, but if I feel attacked or insulted in front of other people I just can't stop it. I also cry if someone yells at me. Sometimes I cry if I get some praise that strike really deep into me.   When I cry I think that means the action made affected me deeply. I don't know if you guys cry, but I can't remember seeing many people cry in my life. I've never seen adult man crying in front of me. My dad never cries and when I ask why he says that he cries inside and I don't know what that means.

I've seen that some people say that crying makes you less man, but I don't believe that. I think they say that because of the stereotypes which affect the world too much these days I think.

I think crying is better way to express emotions than anger. Crying don't hurt anyone anger does.

Do you think it's bad thing to cry? What do you think about crying? Does crying make you somehow less tough?

What are your experiences with crying?

• Brohoof 6

I don't think at all that it is bad to cry.  It's a way to find out when you've reached something so impassible that you need to look towards your family and friends for help, which is always rewarding  :)

One of my favorite quotes comes from Johnny Dep:

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long"

• Brohoof 7

Do you think it's bad thing to cry?

No, it's not a "bad thing" to express your emotions, and crying is one way to express said emotions whether it be positive or negative. However, im sure it's a situational thing and will vary from person to person.  :maud: 

What do you think about crying?

It's ok to cry, but again this will vary on the situation and person in question.  :maud:

Does crying make you somehow less tough?

No, not to me. Being "tough" is not being afraid to express your emotions. However, i understand that a situation may demand a more reserved response.  :maud:

I've cried over many things. From the loss of my cat to a breakup, tears of sadness and sorrow. :maud:

But i've also cried tears of joy, sometimes even spontaneously due to a overload of positive emotions -- and to me that is the best kind of "crying".  :maud:

• Brohoof 2

I'm very much afraid to cry. It doesn't help that I actually cry a lot. So yeah, that also means that I haven't cried in the last 5 years.

I don't think crying is a bad thing, however. It's a good way to let go of your frustrations and thoughts, much better than anger. Crying doesn't make you less tough, that's just a silly stereotype that needs to fade out of existence.

My experiences with crying doesn't end well, unfortunately. No one comes up to comfort me, people tell me to toughen up and whatnot. I know this sounds rather idealistic, but I personally put feelings first rather than logic. It doesn't work most of the time, but I do that since I'm a really sensitive person in real life.

• Brohoof 2

Yeahh. I'm a 17 year old guy from Texas. I'd get chastised and belittled, even by my own family :confused:

I feel like it sometimes, but I generally try to supress the urge. If I fail and tears start pouring, I get very embarrassed. Fortunately, that doesn't happen too often these days.

If I'm moved to tears, however, that's an entirely different story :D

• Brohoof 2

I flood myself in tears every time I listen to Yung Lean. Which is every day.

/thread

Okay, on a more serious note...

Yes, actually. I am afraid of crying, seeing as I am a guy and the fact that society scorns males who cry. I know I shouldn't care what people think, but I'd rather not be judged or bullied for crying. I've actually suppressed my crying so much that it's actually hard for me to cry, even when I encounter emotional moments. I haven't cried in a few months and maybe even a year.

However, I do feel like crying when I'm not home and it feels like they could be released freely. Don't know what's up with that. I don't automatically get depressed when I'm in public or something.

And I don't think crying is bad. It's good for you to cry and I don't see a problem with it. However, it does get annoying when I encounter someone who cries all the time over little things.

• Brohoof 2

I'm really hard on myself. I don't think it's a bad thing to cry, but I try to fight back the emotion. I don't want to cry because it's really out of character for me. I'm usually well composed and seeing me crying means something's horribly wrong. I've cried only once in 5 years at a time where I was utterly heartbroken.

new drinking game: take a drink every time Celtore says "cry" in the above paragraph!...

• Brohoof 2

I think that crying isn't anything bad at all, but the society these days makes it seem like it is. I have cried many times at school and at home I cry kinda often if you compare to someone else. However I try not to cry at school anymore, because I feel so embarrassed and weak when I do. Everyone just watches at me saying nothing that is the worst feeling. You just wish that you could hide under a rock. I don't know but when I heard someone that called me crybaby that just stroke me really deep. So deep that I can still feel it. That might be the reason why I hide all my feelings when I'm in front of everyones eyes.

So yes I'm afraid of crying. I try all my best to not to cry, but if I feel attacked or insulted in front of other people I just can't stop it. I also cry if someone yells at me. Sometimes I cry if I get some praise that strike really deep into me.   When I cry I think that means the action made affected me deeply. I don't know if you guys cry, but I can't remember seeing many people cry in my life. I've never seen adult man crying in front of me. My dad never cries and when I ask why he says that he cries inside and I don't know what that means.

I've seen that some people say that crying makes you less man, but I don't believe that. I think they say that because of the stereotypes which affect the world too much these days I think.

I think crying is better way to express emotions than anger. Crying don't hurt anyone anger does.

Do you think it's bad thing to cry? What do you think about crying? Does crying make you somehow less tough?

I feel like my scenario with the whole thing is similar in a way to how you described yours.

Except well, I feel like the whole "Guys shouldn't cry, because it makes them weak herpa derpa" has started to not only affect my judgement on when I cry, but literally makes me unable to cry even when I feel I want to or should.

I know that may sound weird, but I feel it's true. 

While I logically don't see any issue with crying, as I think showing emotion is a perfectly fine thing, and crying is showing emotion, which is a perfectly normal thing to do in my opinion. The fear that has been created over being judged for the whole thing, and the stereotypical behavior being hammered into me has started to I feel affect my actual emotional reaction. 

I feel like I've become less likely to be emotional about things, and honestly I hardly ever cry. 

Idk, maybe I never was really that emotional of a person as I thought, but regardless, I wish in many cases that I was a bit more emotional atleast, because I hardly ever cry. (unless you count when your eyes get watery when your laughing really hard, but I don't count that really.) 

But I feel like i've got less emotional as things go on, and I wish I wasn't. 

As much as I'm in support of crying as being perfectly fine(There are obviously limits where your just doing it way to often, but you have to cry pretty frequently for me to consider it a bit to much.) I still am personally afraid whether I believe it or not. I try especially not to cry at home, because I don't want my parents to overreact to it or anything. So I rarely cry, because I feel like in most cases I'll just be judged, and I don't want to.

However, while I find I don't cry as often over sad things, I find that I do sometimes cry when I get really frusterated or something. Ironically, I cried like last week, because I was stressed out in marching band class between marching sets, getting drill to read and trying to put that away, and the added stress of school and honor band tryouts(which was wednesday) so I eventually got so stressed I just walked off the field to the benches and eventually once my section leader came over there I couldn't help it and I started crying. 

Now, I don't think he personally thought of me any less, because he's a good guy, and idk if the rest of the band even knew about it, and if they did, most of them are pretty understanding. However, despite that I still fear and try and avoid crying in front of them. 

I also cried back in 8th grade from frustration and stress and stuff when i was in my first day of band class, and I hadn't played Trumpet in a year, and I couldn't remember how to play anything, so I ended up crying, however, I don't know for sure even how many people remember that, and having been homeschooled the year before the previous years of my life, I guess I was under justified stress so maybe they were ok with it. I haven't been bullied for it or anything.

So, typically the times I do cry are like stress breakdowns, where I just crack. But honestly those cases are pretty uncommon even. I honestly feel kinda bad when I don't cry during stuff like senior speeches at the end of marching season, and stuff like that, where I feel I should, but I don't, and I feel like an insensitive jerk.

I want to, but I typically just don't. Idk why. Again, it must be deep rooted fear i guess. 

Alternatively to get rid of stress, I tend to get ticked off and have a bad temper to get rid of my emotional buildup, it just builds up until I yell at someone for the stupidest reasons. 

I'd honestly much rather cry, but I guess i've just become insensitive, or maybe I always was. 

It's a weird desire in a way, but I wish I could be more emotionally in touch and sensitive, because I feel I am not.

Regardless, while I am afraid to cry i'll admit, It is still good for you in many ways, and I see no real issue with it.

I don't think at all that it is bad to cry.  It's a way to find out when you've reached something so impassible that you need to look towards your family and friends for help, which is always rewarding  :)

One of my favorite quotes comes from Johnny Dep:

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long"

I like that quote, although, I've heard it isn't actually from Johnny Dep, but regardless.

I'm very much afraid to cry. It doesn't help that I actually cry a lot. So yeah, that also means that I haven't cried in the last 5 years.

I don't think crying is a bad thing, however. It's a good way to let go of your frustrations and thoughts, much better than anger. Crying doesn't make you less tough, that's just a silly stereotype that needs to fade out of existence.

My experiences with crying doesn't end well, unfortunately. No one comes up to comfort me, people tell me to toughen up and whatnot. I know this sounds rather idealistic, but I personally put feelings first rather than logic. It doesn't work most of the time, but I do that since I'm a really sensitive person in real life.

Forgive me, but I was confused, because you said you are afraid to cry, and it doesn't help you do alot, but then said that you hadn't in 5 years.

So do you cry often or not? because I was kinda confused, sorry, no offense or anything meant.

• Brohoof 3

When it comes to crying, I don't know what it is, but I just can't bring myself to shed a tear, no matter how sad or depressing the situation might be. I think if I was going to though, I'd just let it happen, depending on the situation of course.

In the public, maybe not or people might get worried or something!

Though, I certainly do cry a lot out of laughter!  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

It's not bad to cry, because crying is an emotional release. It's literally healthy to cry.

That being said, while I'm not afraid to cry because I do it plenty, I don't like when my mom sees me cry, because every time she does she tells me to stop crying because I'm gonna be 23, and I hate it when she doesn't understand. Sometimes I really can't help it when i cry, even when i'm trying not to.

• Brohoof 2

I am not afraid of crying, but I rarely feel enough to do so. I think your dad meant that he feels enough emotion to cry, but he doesn't need to physically express this by crying. I relate to what he said.

It's anything but bad. It's a good way to express your emotion, and it doesn't make you any less though. I think that it's less manly to voluntarily avoid something that doesn't seem very masculine than to do something that's not considered "though". Isn't that the premise for most of us calling ourselves manly for watching a show for little girls in the first place? It's insecure to voluntarily hide it.

As for my experiences with crying... I don't know what to describe as an answer to that.

• Brohoof 2

Forgive me, but I was confused, because you said you are afraid to cry, and it doesn't help you do alot, but then said that you hadn't in 5 years.

So do you cry often or not? because I was kinda confused, sorry, no offense or anything meant.

Ohh, I do cry often. Yeah, I apologize, I tend to confuse words with other words a lot. xP

• Brohoof 2

I flood myself in tears every time I listen to Yung Lean. Which is every day.

/thread

Okay, on a more serious note...

Yes, actually. I am afraid of crying, seeing as I am a guy and the fact that society scorns males who cry. I know I shouldn't care what people think, but I'd rather not be judged or bullied for crying. I've actually suppressed my crying so much that it's actually hard for me to cry, even when I encounter emotional moments. I haven't cried in a few months and maybe even a year.

However, I do feel like crying when I'm not home and it feels like they could be released freely. Don't know what's up with that. I don't automatically get depressed when I'm in public or something.

And I don't think crying is bad. It's good for you to cry and I don't see a problem with it. However, it does get annoying when I encounter someone who cries all the time over little things.

Yeah, i feel the same with the suppression, because after a while I feel it became automatic, and now, it's hard to cry even if i want to or something.

And yeah, I agree there is a point where it is unnecessary, but it's still perfectly fine in moderation.

I'm really hard on myself. I don't think it's a bad thing to cry, but I try to fight back the emotion. I don't want to cry because it's really out of character for me. I'm usually well composed and seeing me crying means something's horribly wrong. I've cried only once in 5 years at a time where I was utterly heartbroken.

new drinking game: take a drink every time Celtore says "cry" in the above paragraph!...

I suppose it can be difficult when you have something like that, sort of a reputation for it. I wouldn't want to be someone who cries so often that it means nothing, but I don't want to never cry ever or anything.

Although honestly, considering the fact over the years i've probably cried atleast 3 times to some extent or another around band kids, I don't know if it would really be even considered that out of character for me. But I still fear it.

• Brohoof 1

It really depends, but in some cases I am definitely afraid of crying.

For example if I cry after hearing a piece of beautiful music; then all is fine and dandy.

But if I cry during a period of stress or whatnot, then I tend to get chastised for that by my family. Being a 28 yr old guy from southern West Virginia, it can get difficult. Many times during my youth I was threatened by my folks that they'd force me to wear a dress to school. Every time I'd shed a tear during times of great stress, I was called girly, weak, a baby, or what have you.

It's left a bit of a stigma on me, BUT during such times I do tend to cry. I can't stop it. My throat clenches to the point where I can't talk and the tears flow. Even now-a-days my parents REALLY get on to me about that. I tell them it's nature's method of stress relief and that tears are essential, but I doubt they believe me. It's the misconception that only girls cry. If men cry; we're weak.

*Sigh.* Whatever.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I'm pretty afraid of it, but mainly in public. I don't like people to think of me as sensitive or bleh :unsure:. Unfortunately, the last time it happened, it was in public (security line)...though I managed to suppress it and it didn't last for a minute. I was no longer upset after that :P.

• Brohoof 3

Right off the bat, crying is the reason I got bullied in primary school. Something that helped to protect me later on was coming off as someone who is seemingly emotionless and desensitized.

And even when I do allow myself to cry, I try not to make a sound -- unless I'm either very isolated or in a soundproof room.

Have I cried in the past 5 years? Yes. Back when I used to read fan fiction, I've read some very sad ones like Final Dream of a Filly. I did cry a lot -- more than I have in years prior -- but when it was done, my shoulders felt a little lighter, as though some of that sadness that had been welling up had dissipated.

May sound corny, sure, but it's the truth in the best way I could describe it.

Edited by Erythema
  • Brohoof 2

People should feel it's okay to cry. Just a way of showing emotion.

I'm thinking there could be more to it than just that, though how much there is I cannot really say.

Crying appears to be like a call for attention. If someone is crying when surrounded by those with empathy and/or understanding, what I'd imagine would happen is that those people would turn their attention to the person crying and attend to the person. That there's a saying that reads "cry for attention" sorta attests to it.

Although in this society, seeking attention is largely condemned and shamed. Heck, people tend to be aversive to just drawing attention to themselves.

• Brohoof 2

I think crying is fine so long as it's in a situation where doing so makes sense and it doesn't get too out of control.

I can't really say I'm afraid to cry, but due to how I grew up (it actually has nothing to do with my parents and family), I find it hard to cry at all. It may also be due to the fact that my life recently has been pretty good with no real sad or depressing moments to speak of. :huh: I just can't do it unless I hear a certain kind of song, or something affects me personally so much that I feel very grieved. Even when I do cry, it's when I'm by myself or with a close family member like my mom.

Overall, I just can't find myself crying or even showing much emotion entirely. :mellow:

• Brohoof 2

I'm thinking there could be more to it than just that, though how much there is I cannot really say.

Crying appears to be like a call for attention. If someone is crying when surrounded by those with empathy and/or understanding, what I'd imagine would happen is that those people would turn their attention to the person crying and attend to the person. That there's a saying that reads "cry for attention" sorta attests to it.

Although in this society, seeking attention is largely condemned and shamed. Heck, people tend to be aversive to just drawing attention to themselves.

Seeking attention may seem like it's condemned, but in all honesty, most pop culture idols are just idiots craving attention.

Quite pitiful, really.

• Brohoof 1

crying helps flow emotions out and makes you feel anew. so crying is perfectly fine

• Brohoof 2