Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

National Novel Writing Month 2014

RockinRarity

I did see a thread for the 2013 year, but I think that since it's about time to start talking about 2014.

How many of you will be participating in National Novel Writing Month this year? How many of you are going to try to write a novel - start to finish - during the month of November?

Have you participated in a NaNoWriMo in the past? Did you finish? Why or why not?

Is NaNoWriMo something that you have been thinking of doing for a while? What makes you want to try it? What fears do you have in participating? Are you going to have enough time to dedicated writing for at least an hour or two per day throughout the month?

I have never done NaNoWriMo before, but I would like to very much this year. I already have a novel idea picked out, and I have been doing a little bit of pre-writing and planning. I was a creative writing major in college and I have always wanted to write this book, and I think that NaNoWriMo is a way for me to discipline myself and just do it. I'm the kind of person who needs outside intervention/rules in order to motivate myself, so something like NaNoWriMo is a challenge that I can at least attempt to succeed in.

I have a friend who did it last year, and she "won," meaning that she exceeded the word count challenge. My brother-in-law has expressed interest in participating this year as well but I am not sure if he will do it - we will see.

If anyone interested is signed up on NaNoWriMo's website, you can add me as a writing buddy. Here is my author profile

It would be great if those of us who wish to participate can all support and encourage each other this November. :D

• Brohoof 5

This is actually a great idea. I was told about this a few years back but I forgot it existed until now.

I'm not sure if I'll participate, because I'm not good at forming a focused idea that would fill a novel-length volume, but I wouldn't mind seeing what other people write.

Good luck to you, RockinRarity, and whoever else participates.

• Brohoof 2

Good luck, mate. I might get started on a long-ass fanfic I have planned out due to this, but hey, I hope you have fun.

• Brohoof 1

This is actually a great idea. I was told about this a few years back but I forgot it existed until now.

I'm not sure if I'll participate, because I'm not good at forming a focused idea that would fill a novel-length volume, but I wouldn't mind seeing what other people write.

Good luck to you, RockinRarity, and whoever else participates.

Thank you!

I do want to let you know, that there are two different types of writers, apparently.

If this is something that you would really like to do, don't let the fact that you don't have a solid, focused idea get in the way of that. Sometimes, just writing and writing and writing will lead to something great... even the planners find the most value in just writing. Because when the ideas are translated from the cruxes of the brain to the beautiful words on the page, that's where it all begins.

Also, first drafts are always shitty. I have to keep telling myself that because I have this bad habit of editing as I go.

• Brohoof 1

I think I may take a crack at writing something. My teachers say that my stories for English are fantastic and that I'm an exceptionally creative human being so the only thing I'll have to overcome is my sever laziness and perfectionism.

EDIT: quick question, How long is a novel?

Edited by GammaDove
  • Brohoof 1

Destiny, myself, and possibly Simon are participating in NaNoWriMo as a group so we can make sure each of us finish. I have done this several times before - and successfull completed it as well (though I'm currently dealing with them reinstating an old account of mine).

As far as my experiences and tips go - I'll share them shortly as I'm working on a project right this second.

• Brohoof 3

Thank you!

I do want to let you know, that there are two different types of writers, apparently.

If this is something that you would really like to do, don't let the fact that you don't have a solid, focused idea get in the way of that. Sometimes, just writing and writing and writing will lead to something great... even the planners find the most value in just writing. Because when the ideas are translated from the cruxes of the brain to the beautiful words on the page, that's where it all begins.

Also, first drafts are always shitty. I have to keep telling myself that because I have this bad habit of editing as I go.

Thanks for the encouragement.

That second one definitely sounds like me... I'll sometimes plan out an idea in my head, but I never write it down. I just start writing something when I do have to write.

Maybe I'll take a crack at it. I have a lot of time to think about doing this, so maybe I'll end up sitting down and trying my best.

And of course, never go with the first draft. I used to write sometimes when I was younger, and I'd have to revise like six or seven times on just a few pages... I'd miss so many obvious details in my flurry of writing, lemme tell ya.

• Brohoof 1

I may or may not participate. I am working on a novel actually and it takes time to work on and I would have to think of another idea to write if I do participate. I can at least give it some consideration.

EDIT: quick question, How long is a novel?

A novella sized story is roughly 100 pages or maybe around 50,000 words. A typical novel can run 250-600 pages.

• Brohoof 1

the only thing I'll have to overcome is my sever laziness and perfectionism.

I have suffered quite a bit from these two things myself. And while I am nowhere near overcoming either of these vices, I have managed to learn about why I am a lazy perfectionist, and what habits that I can form to keep myself from being a lazy perfectionist when it comes to writing (and other things).

If you have the time, I recommend reading this book. The 7 Secrets of the Prolific

(I still haven't finished the book, but that's partly because I haven't been able to have a regular writing schedule recently, haha. I may pick this up again in October to prepare for the big month)

Destiny, myself, and possibly Simon are participating in NaNoWriMo as a group so we can make sure each of us finish. I have done this several times before - and successfull completed it as well (though I'm currently dealing with them reinstating an old account of mine).

As far as my experiences and tips go - I'll share them shortly as I'm working on a project right this second.

Please be my writing buddy! :D

All of you can add me if they have accounts on that website~

And your wisdom is much appreciated. I look forward to hearing it.

• Brohoof 2

I did this last year.  Sort of.  I didn't write a whole book, but I pushed myself to do 50k words in a month.  I'll probably do an even bigger number this year, I'm thinking maybe 75k or maybe even 100k.  It's gonna be pretty sweetles.  :)

• Brohoof 1

Basically, but there are shades of hybrids out there as well. The most famous 'pantser' out there is Stephen King. I recommend On Writing (except the outdated pre-KDP era appendix) to anyone who is serious about the craft. The most famous 'process' writer today is likely John Green who actually completed over 200 drafts of The Fault In Our Stars. His exact process is unknown, but I have my own ideas. My process is somewhere in the middle. The easiest way to explain it is

Beats > Fast Draft > Disappear It > Revision 1 > Disappear It > Revision 2 > IR Read > Revision 3 > Close Read > Revision 4 > Beta Read > Revision 5 > Contemplate Burning Manuscript > Publish.

Since I can fast draft with abandon I have no issues churning out 1700 WPD. Will it be good? If good = not worth kindling then yes it's a masterpiece. That isn't the point. The produced manuscript is going to suck. Embrace it and let the suck flow through you. This is part of the process. The real writing comes later when you revise it. Out of the millions of words on this subject there are only three truisms to writing well. Three rules.

1. Read often

2. Write often

3. Writing is rewriting

Anything else is so dependent on the author that it becomes a series of trial and error until you find your voice and approach.

I freaking can't want. Yo and @Simon you two still all in?

Also @RockinRarity, yes!

If you want you can add me here  :D

• Brohoof 3

Yay oh my gosh, there's a thread! :squee: I, unfortunately, have never completed NaNoWriMo, but I want this to be the year!

Feel free to add me here!

Thanks for bringing this topic to my attention Jeric! :squee:

• Brohoof 2

Basically, but there are shades of hybrids out there as well.

Ah, but of course. Based on the fact that my best short stories have been "pantsed" (based on Teen Titans fanfics from when I was a teenager, and short stories written while completing my major), I am a bit of a blend as well. The issue with me is that for short stories, if the first draft wasn't near-perfect, I'd just scrap it. The story would need to at least be somewhat enjoyable. But I have been planning this story for a novel for several years, and I have recently been able to keep record of several of my notes and outlines on my computer. I am not a strict outline person regarding pretty much anything in my life - a lot of my organization is in my head and I have my own way of doing things and adapting to whatever my current situation may be. I have to remember that because over-planning really isn't good for me and it just becomes an excuse to not write - "I'm not done planning!" Well too bad, me - we're playing hide and seek here and the seeker's already counted to 50.

Beats > Fast Draft > Disappear It > Revision 1 > Disappear It > Revision 2 > IR Read > Revision 3 > Close Read > Revision 4 > Beta Read > Revision 5 > Contemplate Burning Manuscript > Publish.

The only words I seem to be understanding are Fast Draft, the Revisions, Beta Read, Contemplate Burning Manuscript (lol), and Publish. Care to elaborate on the rest?

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 1

partial snip

The only words I seem to be understanding are Fast Draft, the Revisions, Beta Read, Contemplate Burning Manuscript (lol), and Publish. Care to elaborate on the rest?

Sure, and my fault for using personal terminology.  :blush:

Disappear It = Walk Away. I know you have heard this before. When you finally are finished you should walk away from a story for a certain length of time and return to it with fresh eyes. It helps the revision process. This is likely not something you will probably have to worry about come November. :D

IR Read = Ideal Reader Read. Ok, ignoring for a moment that that is almost like saying ATM Machine, this speaks to something that is one of those techniques I mentioned that may not work for everyone. In order to avoid this being a forty paragraph exploitation I'll just basically say that when I am writing I am [picturing my IR or Ideal Reader in my head. For me it's always a real person. First draft is for myself and with my IR for this book in mind. This is the person who would not only appreciate the narrative, genres, tense, and POV - but also the person who will most critical and informative/helpful. The IR read is the person you most expect to get enjoyment out of the book and you may be subconsciously writing for anyway. King and Green write for their wives. I mix it up, though my wife is perfect for thrillers and new adult. 

Close Read = Close family and friends only. This is where stuff gets annoying as everyone has opinions and they conflict more often than not. It's also mostly psychological. Six people read it and report back. Some will be simple cheerleaders (writers do need that once and a while) and most will pull their punches. You will not get the same opinions and constructive criticism as in a Beta Read. But it's a little kinder and helps you mentally prepare for the Beta Read. O.o

There are many steps involving the full editing process that I removed from that simple timeline that would make that it look insane. Since there are really four editing channels that you should use for the best possible novel, it can look like a mess ... and it's expensive so I didn't include it. I'll add the missing items below. Some of these terms are used so interchangeably (even amount Publishers and Agents) that it drives me nuts.  

• Content/Structural/Literary Edit
  • Line Edit
  • Copy Edit
  • Proofread

Again ... very little of this will impact NaNoWriMo. 

Question, does anyone here besides me use Scrivener as their word processor and organization tool?

• Brohoof 1

Question, does anyone here besides me use Scrivener as their word processor and organization tool?

I LOVE SCRIVENER

My friend who did NaNoWriMo said that she got a discounted copy of it for winning, and she advertised for it on Facebook. I became interested and downloaded a free trial. Then I bought it.

It's great because it's like having several writing notebooks in one digital location.

It was originally designed for a Mac, but they recently came out with a PC version so I use that since I don't have a Mac. It was definitely designed for a Mac and it shows, but there's nothing wrong with the PC version.

I think that my favorite part about it is the ability to compile your text and make a PDF of your manuscript, formatted in the correct way for publishing. I hate typing in Courier New and it would be kind of a pain to change all of my font and make sure everything was formatted 100% correctly before printing an entire manuscript.

Do you recommend using Scrivener when writing during NaNoWriMo or should I use Google Docs and import the text to Scrivener?

• Brohoof 1

Every year I tell myself I'm going to try it, and every year I'm too busy to work on it. Maybe this year, though, I don't know... I might try.

I took me a few years to finally hit the word count. You should try it and join our group for encouragement. :D

I alway seem to want to, but always get distracted in some way.

Same offer extended to you Emerald.

• Brohoof 1

I LOVE SCRIVENER

My friend who did NaNoWriMo said that she got a discounted copy of it for winning, and she advertised for it on Facebook. I became interested and downloaded a free trial. Then I bought it.

It's great because it's like having several writing notebooks in one digital location.

It was originally designed for a Mac, but they recently came out with a PC version so I use that since I don't have a Mac. It was definitely designed for a Mac and it shows, but there's nothing wrong with the PC version.

I think that my favorite part about it is the ability to compile your text and make a PDF of your manuscript, formatted in the correct way for publishing. I hate typing in Courier New and it would be kind of a pain to change all of my font and make sure everything was formatted 100% correctly before printing an entire manuscript.

Do you recommend using Scrivener when writing during NaNoWriMo or should I use Google Docs and import the text to Scrivener?

I'll go into Scriv in a little bit. I prefer drafting directly in Scriv, BUT there is a set up I use to make it easier.

I'd love to. Is it on Nanos Rio or on Mlpforums?

Well I'm going to use this thread to pump people up, but also on the nanowrimo site as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friendly reminder that if you're a planner instead of a pantser, you can take this one week to plan as much as you'd like. Just try not write your entire novel in your head- trust me, you'll end up losing interest instead of gaining it. Instead, take this week to form a basic plot, think of characters and a few basic notes about them, and so on.

http://nanowrimo.org/nano-prep

Have fun! :squee:

• Brohoof 1