Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

100th episode discussion

Dashie23

So, I remembered hearing from a source( can't remember which) that the 100th episode, the 9th episode of Season 5, will be focused on background ponies. So I was curious, who would you like to see in it? What do you think the plot will be? Anything related to this speculation can go here.

I'd like to see Berry Punch, Doctor Whooves, DJ Pon-3, Derpy, and Lyra be major in the episode, with Octavia, Sweetie Drops, and Goldengrape making apperances as well. Maybe a plot could be like , The mane six is in trouble, and the background ponies need to save them. Heck, they could make a two-parter out of it. And the ponies doubt themselves, because the mane six outshine them with outstanding achievements. But as the episode progress, they learn that their lack of accomplishments don't make them any less of a pony. It's how special the are, and how they treat others with kindness and friendship.

• Brohoof 6

To be honest, I'd rather the 100th episode not be about background ponies, and instead I'd rather it be about the mane six doing something special together.... not sure what though.

Anyway, as for what I'd like to see; I just want a well-written episode without too many fan references, although having some will be inevitable. I actually really like that idea you have, Dashie23; it seems like a good lesson to be learned and I agree that kindness and friendship is more important than just a bunch of achievements. :)

• Brohoof 4

Here is the link to the EQD article.

Source

This season has the 100th episode, which is sufficiently awesome and focused on characters that have been on the show for a while, but mainly in the background. Coco Pommel returns for one!

Ok, so outside of that we mostly have rumor or speculation. Rumors from Tenant doing Whooves, to Nowhacking voicing Vinyl. We really don't have much to go on. This could also be a fan rage episode which is my fear. Imagine if they do voice Vinyl and she sounds different than her fanon loved voice. If Derpy gets no special attention that would cause some to be upset as well.

That said, I have advocated a show centered on the characters who are known, but have not had as much development. Mayor Mare, Cheerilee, Big Mac, the Cakes, etc. What if they were the heroes and saved the town from a natural disaster since the Mane 6 were not around? That, or they are planning a Thank You Pony Princess of Friendship party in secret. You know how Ponyville likes it's festivities. I believe those may be possible angles where you could center a show on these characters. It's adding Coco Pommel so perhaps she is there to help plan to show her appreciation for what Rarity did for her.

:D

To be honest, I'd rather the 100th episode not be about background ponies, and instead I'd rather it be about the mane six doing something special together.... not sure what though.

You know, another idea would be recounting episodes from seasons 1-4 but from the background characters perspectives. Kinda like a clip show meets Lion King 1 1/2

I'll be the first to say it. 

I'm not actually looking forward to this episode. Honestly I'm actually sort of dreading it

I wouldn't worry.  I think DHX got all the 'cringe' out of their system in certain eps of Season 3 (and friggin' Equestria Games...)and rewatching them now event hose episodes aren't quite as bad with it as I remember; and with them advertising so long in advance that this is gonna be a treat for us, rather than just any random episode where they might try new things they only HOPE we like, I think we can pretty safely assume that it'll be rad.  I mean, look at Rainbow Rocks which no one expected to be good but everyone's loving it; look at the excellence of Season 4 overall and especially its finale.  I think it'd be hard for them to screw this up.

And think of how well they've been handling the popular secondary characters lately; good, fun, enjoyable cameos and almost never giving them voices or anything the fans would be divided over.  I'm thinking this is gonna feature a lot of dialogue-less, fun, humorous scenes between our favorite BG pones and I'm very excited.

• Brohoof 1

No, please. Let the 100th episode be something TRULY special and about the star characters. Not an excuse for more pandering. Oh, I can see an episode about the backgrounders happening (they could call it "22 Short Stories about Ponyville"), but I rather it happened any other episode besides the 100th.

You know, another idea would be recounting episodes from seasons 1-4 but from the background characters perspectives. Kinda like a clip show meets Lion King 1 1/2

That-that's not very comforting... :unsure:

Edited by Jangobadass

Well, these are the writers that turned a 'mixed reaction' human adaptation into something that seems to be more palatable with the fandom ... so I trust them. But yeah I expect the 100th to be a fan service show in some way focused on non main characters. The definition of what constitutes a 'background' character for them and for me may be different though.

And the source I posted above was straight from Hasbro's mouth at Comic Con so it's legit.

I agree, the concept behind it could be the most awesome thing ever, or it could be a total disaster, but a few things I'd like to see are:

- Derpy gets another speaking role, and a canonically established name once and for all. (I hope she goes back to Ditzy Doo, personally.)

- One line for every major identified background pony that hasn't had one yet, including Vinyl, Doctor Whooves, Lyra and Minuette.

- And just genrally background ponies to the rescue FTW.

• Brohoof 2

This idea could be the most awesome thing ever, or the worst thing ever.

Now, let me just say this, I don't normally criticize for fan serivce/pandering, since it mostly happens in the background and isn't even relevent to the plot. This however, looks like it will be relevant to the plot. It just seems like it's trying too hard to please the fans. I'm not saying this concept couldn't work, I'm just saying it's trying too hard. Who knows, they could tell one of the best things ever with them. Though when you factor out the mane six and the CMC for that matter, it kins of feels like it's missing something.

• Brohoof 1

I'm looking forward to the episode.  I'm hoping we'll get a lot of fan favorite background ponies, but I don't really want Vinyl or Octavia to speak unless Nowacking and Ellie are doing their voices, cause I love their voices :D

Well, even if it is a bad episode, we will finally get to see the world of Equestria from a perspective we have not yet seen and any perceptional change like that is welcome as it fleshes out the world and gives more info on the events that occurred in the main series. It would be nice to just have a slice of life episode that has other background ponies interacting and giving a better idea of what the every day pony does. We could see their perceptions of the mane 6, the royal duo, and the events of the first 4 seasons. We could really get a nice showcase of every day Equestrian society, and you can do it without having to worry about working in the characters of the mane 6.

And it is just one episode, even if it just turns into a 22 minute pandering show (and EqG2 had far more than 22 minutes of what can be arguably considered pandering) it would still be somewhat enjoyable as just a singular entity that elaborates on the background of Equestria. 

• Brohoof 1

I too would have preferred if they saved the special background ponies episode for some other occasion instead of using the 100th episode, but it is what it (supposedly is).

I don't really mind the existence of a background pony episode, so long as it isn't just 100% in-jokes and fanon being turned into canon. I would much rather the writers took the characters and put their own spin on them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually looking forward to this episode. I personally enjoy fan service/pandering, so getting an episode focusing on the background ponies we know and love would be a treat.

That depends if DHX can pull it off, however. Fanservice/pandering could come off as annoying to people, and MLP:FiM usually has trouble pulling it off. I don't want to judge the episode immediately just because it focuses on background ponies, however, so I'll be waiting for this episode until it airs.

Oooh this sounds beyond awesome =)

I for one am looking forward to this. It's something very different, and we finally get to see our favorite background ponies ( Derpy and Vinyl <3 ) get some significant screen time, and possibly speaking roles. Will be eagerly awaiting this

• Brohoof 1

Whilst I don't really care for background ponies that much I will say this makes perfect sense., for one thing how would you make the 100th episode special and different from the rest. You couldn't have it be about the mane six because then it would blend in with the rest of the series, so make it about the background characters. It's also a great way to honour the fanbase that is pretty much the only reason the show made it this far, so yeah whilst I don't really care that much about derpy or any other background character I fully understand why they're doing this.

Edited by chirox the pony

Id love more on the background ponies if anything!  Hell even more

Luna would be nice or a Tia based Ep on her unseen life with being

a princess and being with Luna.  Yet the background is well

love by this fandom and i would love more Derpy!

[snip] speaks

Don't click if you haven't seen Rainbow Rocks or dob't want spoilers.

Well ... I think we are a bit too late on that one. Kazumi Evans is Tavi   :P

Perhaps we should reserve judgement until we see the actual episode? Background character-driven episodes can be awesome if done right

They can be absolutely amazing. One of my favorite X-Files episodes was focused on the Lone Gunmen. :(

- And just genrally background ponies to the rescue FTW.

That I wouldn't mind. Like that cool battle in Issue 8 of the IDW comic. :D

It WOULD be nice if they made themselves useful in a crisis for once, wouldn't it?

I don't really mind the existence of a background pony episode, so long as it isn't just 100% in-jokes and fanon being turned into canon. I would much rather the writers took the characters and put their own spin on them.

This. SOOOOO this.

The only problem is that the Bronies might whine and bitch far worse than the little girls (as usual). Like, oh-- how they made a fuss about Vinyl's eye color. Or how some might be upset that

Tabby St. G has been assigned to voice Octavia

• 5 months later...

Don't click if you haven't seen Rainbow Rocks or dob't want spoilers.

Well ... I think we are a bit too late on that one. Kazumi Evans is Tavi   :P

Hm. Now I wondering if Tavi may wind up being Lena Hall and end up singing in Sweetie Belle's talent episode or the 100th ep. Now with the fact the Mane Six won't be involved ... this could be anything.

I still have high hopes for episode 100 personally.