Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Flashlight stuff

Fluttershutter

It's weird to me that the movies ship human Flash and pony Twilight(in human form). Twilight doesn't even really know pony Flash.

I doubt the writers have thought too much about where that relationship would go or how it would work but now the whole thing actually reminds me of a brony fantasy. Twilight comes through a portal, looking human so she won't stand out too much, and falls in love with you.

I ship it. Full 100% non troll approval of Flash and Twilight. 

I'd 100% approve if they could only give Flash some personality. Its so weird to me that Twi is attracted to him when he is barely a character. I mean, they almost kissed in the last movie and he was barely even in it.

• Brohoof 3

I'd 100% approve if they could only give Flash some personality

Not impossible to be honest. Actually the key might be in bringing Pony Flash to the foreground a little more and have Princess Twilight be hesitant and awkward around him since she would be confused about how to act. Deft storytelling would allow for Flash to grow as a character from these encounters and their resolution - and THEN it makes it a launching point for us to subconsciously merge personalities between incarnations. 

Also, imagine Scientist Twilight in Ponyville meeting Pony Flash. 

• Brohoof 5

That ship is a decade old cliche, on a 70+ year old cliche that needs to just die. The sterotype Flash fits, is a better match for Rarity or Rainbow Dash.

I ship it. Full 100% non troll approval of Flash and Twilight. 

So if Twilight is in love with human Flash, is that mean she will not feel anything toward pony Flash? That would imply that your ship would never happen in S5 and future seasons but only in Equestria Girls movies that are not even mentioned in the series. It would be better for Twilight to break up with human Flash and actually make out with Pony Flash for this relationship to go anywhere (Since they will never be able to live together in one dimension as there would either be 2 human Twilights or 2 pony Flash Sentry

So if Twilight is in love with human Flash, is that mean she will not feel anything toward pony Flash?

Who knows? Maybe if I look at what I wrote that would give us both a clue.

Twilight be hesitant and awkward around him since she would be confused about how to act.

Basically, she would feel conflicted. As far as payoff, remember how I usually talk about literary fiction. What fun would it be for my imagination to jump straight to a sucking face scene? That is not deft story telling. All stories are organic in nature, formed of a seed in a nursery that grows into a sapling and then a tree. Perhaps she does feel something eventually ... perhaps she doesn't .  I would say ... conflict and unease would assuredly be involved when Pone Twilight interacts with Pone Flash. They are not the same person ... afterall. :P

• Brohoof 1

It's weird to me that the movies ship human Flash and pony Twilight(in human form). Twilight doesn't even really know pony Flash.
I'm thinking this is because they want to separate Equestria Girls and the standard MLP series a bit... yeah, they're connected, but I don't think they want them too connected.

But like others here have said, I would love for Flash Sentry to be in the main series as a pony. It'd be nice to see.

@Jeric pretty much summed it up here.

Not impossible to be honest. Actually the key might be in bringing Pony Flash to the foreground a little more and have Princess Twilight be hesitant and awkward around him since she would be confused about how to act. Deft storytelling would allow for Flash to grow as a character from these encounters and their resolution - and THEN it makes it a launching point for us to subconsciously merge personalities between incarnations
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sure they'll develop Flash in Equestria Academy.
That would be nice.

Speaking of which, have we gotten any more news on Equestria Academy?

I suppose this image is somewhat on topic? 10611.png
  • Brohoof 3

That would be nice.

I suppose this image is somewhat on topic? img-3128192-1-10611.png

No one from DHX(Ishi) know anything about it and no signs of any leaks, vectors or sketches. No one on 4chan know anything or other medium. Any voice actor even one that spoil stuff like John De Lancie do not know anything about this series. I fear that another studio will make this spin off or that is a live action series or short web animations

Edited by Conred

No one from DHX(Ishi) know anything about it and no signs of any leaks, vectors or sketches. No one on 4chan know anything or other medium. Any voice actor even one that spoil stuff like John De Lancie do not know anything about this series. I fear that another studio will make this spin off or that is a live action series or short web animations

A live action series would just be awful... ugh. I'd hope not.

You make a good point about another studio possibly making it... considering it's been said to only be for France so far, I wouldn't doubt it. :unsure:

• Brohoof 1

That would be nice.

I suppose this image is somewhat on topic? img-3128192-1-10611.png

Does an extreme close-up of a wing-boner count as a "dirty" picture in Equestria? If so, Twilight is the Princess of Naughty!

• Brohoof 1

Also regarding Flash, I will quote one of my favourite writers on FimFiction since he have a lot more experience in character analysis (this person is actually around 50 year old) than i do so i woudn't be able to voice my opinion in a better way.

"I was disappointed by the way they used Flash Sentry, though.  By having Twilight obviously be still attracted to him, long after meeting him the first time, they are setting up a love affair.  But in the story he doesn't do anything to make us see him as anything more than just a decent sort of guy.  He falls easily under the spell of the Sirens, and they turn him against her (admittedly, he doesn't actually try to sabotage the Rainbooms, but then he was a nice guy to begin with); I was hoping that if he is supposed to be Twilight's True Love, he would do some Fighting From the Inside and manage to snap out of it to do something heroic or useful at some point in the plot -- but he doesn't.  

The whole Flashlight thing in canon seems to be simply a case of a really admirable and wonderful female becoming obsessed with an only-slightly-impressive male just to have a canon "boyfriend," which is very much against the earlier spirit of the show.  I think this is why it bothers people.  Do the writers not get that they have to show Flash being worthy of her if they're going to make the romance anything but sad, to the extent that it ever goes anywhere?  Or are they actively trying to sabotage what may have been a subplot inflicted on them by the suits?

Compare with Sparity, where they have shared significant screen time including rescuing and otherwise helping out each other, it's obvious that they are kindred spirits, they're physically-affectionate to one another on screen -- and Spike actually is a fairly impressive hero, just one bereft of a Magical Girl Transformation, both within the series and in the supporting material (remember the two times he went adventuring with Celestia in the IDW comics?).  If Spike were an adult Pony stallion, I don't think that anyone would doubt that they were either lovers or likely destined to become lovers.  

In contrast, Flash is a male of the same age as Twilight's Humanoid Form, they keep teasing it, and yet it's not credible.

Writers, bumping into each other once is a Meet Cute.  Having it happen four times in the first movie and then twice in the second movie (Subverted the second time, in one of the intentionally-sadder scenes in the movie) is just not knowing what to do with the character.  Love and clumsiness are really not the same thing, and this would be true even if they were going for the spicy variant where she's coming out of the shower and her towel drops.  Where is this going, a collision at relativistic velocities releasing all their mass-energy as a tremendous nuclear explosion?"

So if Twilight is in love with human Flash, is that mean she will not feel anything toward pony Flash? That would imply that your ship would never happen in S5 and future seasons but only in Equestria Girls movies that are not even mentioned in the series. It would be better for Twilight to break up with human Flash and actually make out with Pony Flash for this relationship to go anywhere (Since they will never be able to live together in one dimension as there would either be 2 human Twilights or 2 pony Flash Sentry

That's what I was talking about. If pony Twilight really loves human Flash she's not going to dump him for pony Flash just because it's more convenient and close enough.

But I really think the whole thing is just a high school romance thing and it will never really be serious.

It'll also be a really weird love quadrangle when human Twilight gets there.

Also regarding Flash, I will quote one of my favourite writers on FimFiction since he have a lot more experience in character analysis (this person is actually around 50 year old) than i do so i woudn't be able to voice my opinion in a better way.

"I was disappointed by the way they used Flash Sentry, though.  By having Twilight obviously be still attracted to him, long after meeting him the first time, they are setting up a love affair.  But in the story he doesn't do anything to make us see him as anything more than just a decent sort of guy.  He falls easily under the spell of the Sirens, and they turn him against her (admittedly, he doesn't actually try to sabotage the Rainbooms, but then he was a nice guy to begin with); I was hoping that if he is supposed to be Twilight's True Love, he would do some Fighting From the Inside and manage to snap out of it to do something heroic or useful at some point in the plot -- but he doesn't.  

The whole Flashlight thing in canon seems to be simply a case of a really admirable and wonderful female becoming obsessed with an only-slightly-impressive male just to have a canon "boyfriend," which is very much against the earlier spirit of the show.  I think this is why it bothers people.  Do the writers not get that they have to show Flash being worthy of her if they're going to make the romance anything but sad, to the extent that it ever goes anywhere?  Or are they actively trying to sabotage what may have been a subplot inflicted on them by the suits?

Compare with Sparity, where they have shared significant screen time including rescuing and otherwise helping out each other, it's obvious that they are kindred spirits, they're physically-affectionate to one another on screen -- and Spike actually is a fairly impressive hero, just one bereft of a Magical Girl Transformation, both within the series and in the supporting material (remember the two times he went adventuring with Celestia in the IDW comics?).  If Spike were an adult Pony stallion, I don't think that anyone would doubt that they were either lovers or likely destined to become lovers.  

In contrast, Flash is a male of the same age as Twilight's Humanoid Form, they keep teasing it, and yet it's not credible.

Writers, bumping into each other once is a Meet Cute.  Having it happen four times in the first movie and then twice in the second movie (Subverted the second time, in one of the intentionally-sadder scenes in the movie) is just not knowing what to do with the character.  Love and clumsiness are really not the same thing, and this would be true even if they were going for the spicy variant where she's coming out of the shower and her towel drops.  Where is this going, a collision at relativistic velocities releasing all their mass-energy as a tremendous nuclear explosion?"

Yep, while I don't mind the shipping, the fact that the romance subplot was handled badly is undeniable, and this guy pretty much sums it up why. I still like The Waifu Thief for the outrage he caused by stealing everypony's waifu though  :lol:

Actually you make a really good point.

It's like the writers want the ship to happen without it actually happening. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't Flash who ended up saving the day honestly.

I liked seeing his flaws in this movie though - he may have been under the spell of the sirens, but I think that what we saw was Flash at his worst, and the sirens simply drew the worst out of him with their magic (same goes for everyone else - I don't think that anyone who was under their spell was acting out of character).

I would like to see further development and exploration of this relationship. Crossing my fingers that we actually get it in some form, because I do think that this ship has real potential.

I would like to see further development and exploration of this relationship. Crossing my fingers that we actually get it in some form, because I do think that this ship has real potential.
Agreed.

I may have said something similar to this in another thread, but... yeah, I don't dislike Flash, nor am I against Twilight and him being together. I really want to see this relationship carried out... as soon as they develop Flash's character. :please: I just think the concept of love would be neat to explore more in MLP/EqG.

• Brohoof 1

:please: I just think the concept of love would be neat to explore more in MLP/EqG.

It was already explored with Canterlot Wedding, so I think it's kinda soon to explore that level of relationship again. But it would be a valuable friendship lesson though, since many people make the mistake of hooking like this:

-Dude: Heeeey lady, you're pretty, wanna go to a date?

-Girl: Oh yes, you're now my boyfriend

A close friend of mine made that mistake four times, as expected, those relationships didn't last. Now, he's hooked with another one for a year and a half, because they didn't hook up immediately, they started as friends, bonded and now they're couple  :lol: .

I bet they're going to wait until the series grand finale to pull it off, a well written romance between Twily and the Waifu Thief. They can pull it off if they managed to redeem Sunny from a lame villain, which the best thing she had is her design, to a character who earned the hearts of the whole fandom  :yay: