Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Good or bad Sunset Shimmer?

Hovershy

Good or bad?  

75 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like Sunset good or bad?

• I like her more now that she's reformed!
    • I liked her better as a villain
    • I hate Sunset Shimmer either way >:(

Good Sunset is better. As a villain she was rather one note and bland, but as a heel (trope name for an evil character who turns good, aka a heel face turn) I think she's much more detailed as a character, not to mention adorable. 

• 2 weeks later...

They did a great job with Sunset in the sequel, infinitely preferable to her prior appearance. Rainbow Rocks' Sunset = one of the best MLP characterisations thus far IMO.

Good Sunset is better. As a villain she was rather one note and bland, but as a heel (trope name for an evil character who turns good, aka a heel face turn) I think she's much more detailed as a character, not to mention adorable. 

Even Sombra as a villain at least had scary powers and competence to make up for being one-note.

Evil!Sunset: "MY INEXPERIENCED TEENAGE ARMY WILL CURBSTOMP THE MANE 6, CELESTIA, LUNA, CADANCE, SHINING ARMOR, AND DISCORD COMBINED!!! MWAHAHAHA!!!"

Me:

Reformed of course! I loved her in RR! Definitely higher on my list of best pones, and first on my list of best human pones! XD Plus she was very cute in RR!  :wub:  You know I just realized you never see many sweet girls like her in leather jackets.  :P

I like her when she was reformed. She wasn't all that good of a villain in the original, but seeing Sunset in Rainbow Rocks makes me kind of wish that she was like this in the original movie. Not only that, but seeing her trying to reform herself after what happened feels realistic and gives off more personality in comparison to her bad girl attitude in the first movie.

Sunset Shimmer has advanced from a character I thought little to nothing about to a character that I now love as a favorite! I much prefer her good side. Personality, expression, and just seeing her smile made me smile too. I almost don't want to go back to the first Equestria Girls because I dunno if I can see her as a villain again. :P

• Brohoof 1

Sunset Shimmer has advanced from a character I thought little to nothing about to a character that I now love as a favorite! I much prefer her good side. Personality, expression, and just seeing her smile made me smile too. I almost don't want to go back to the first Equestria Girls because I dunno if I can see her as a villain again. :P

I know what you mean, her smile is infectious. Especially as you know she must be super happy with whatever is making her smile 

:wub:

post-26968-0-94250100-1413803641_thumb.png

post-26968-0-94250100-1413803641_thumb.png

I like Shimmer in the new flick

and felt like she got put into

the background a bit to much

by her"friends" once Twilight

came into the human world...

She has some depth this time

around and trying to keep to

her real self and over come

the choices she made shows

a deeper side to the Shimmer!

One thing I would like to add on this topic, what makes good Sunset so good is in part the result of her bad past. Without her previous bad self, Sunset has nothing to atone for, or motivate her to be a better person. For me, its part of what makes good Sunset so endearing and separates her from the more ´perfect´ EG characters. Good Sunset is made great by trying to improve on/rectify bad Sunset.

Edited by Guest

The thing is, Sunsets archetype should be vary familiar to anyone who has ever watched the original Power Rangers as a kid in the 90's. She's essentially the Green Ranger.

Not a very well written villain. I liked her voice and design and so i was annoyed at how cliche she was. I didnt expect an eg2 let alone for it to have ss play as much of a role she did, but i was glad when they did. I like her good better, shes sweeter but also they did her some serious justice in rr and that made me happy. Although id wish she was a bit on the bad side still. Not gunna lie when she was going to go confront the dazzlings i thought she was gunna lay down the law and show her old nasty side, sadly she didnt. So for me i really like good sunset shimmer

I prefer her bad than good. If on the second film she was bad but had no powers, it would have been pointless. But I noticed when she was good, everybody pushed her out, including the main 5 (before Twilight came back) and when Twilight was back they still seemed to be uninterested in her, they didn't even invite her to the band or really take note of what she's saying. The overly used joke-references the 6 of them joked around were classic though :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm in the minority on this one but I liked her as a Villian. Her design and color scheme really blended into the whole villian vibe. The way it portrayed her as a one off, total jerk lended into her reformation really well imo. As with most people in real life that are always that mean, most of the time they just don't know anything but being mean. That's why I also like the ending of Equestria Girls and how it showed her coming to a realization that her motivations were misguided and she was truly sorry for everything that she did.

In Rainbow Rocks seeing her being reformed was adding to her character and I also like how they show that even when you are trying to do good and others keep reminding you of what you've done that you can still overcome your history. I loved the bit of her being jealous as well. Felt natural. Felt believable. Even the reformed can be nudged to old habits. That scene made me appreciate her much more.

• Brohoof 1