Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever get jealous by looking at somebody else's art?

Slice0Pie

Do you get jealous?  

79 users have voted

1. 1. Do you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I admit, I always got jealous when I looked at somebody's art when I was a beginner at drawing. Like, I always freaked out, got depressed, and even cried when looking at somebody's art -_- . I stopped that, though, I sometimes get jealous, but I usually never get jealous now :)

What about you guys?

Edited by NightmareCadence

Of course!

The crushing self-doubt? The devastating sense of unappreciation? The gnawing feeling in the back of your head saying you'll never be good enough?

That's part of being an artist. :comeatus:

• Brohoof 10

@@Dattebayo,

Yeeeaaaahhh! I mean I think my art is kickass most of the time but i'm self-taught and looking at all of these FANTASTIC ARTISTS TAHT DO THE MOST AMAZING ART EVER I think i'm inadequate. But hey, it's what I signed up for when I decided to play around with art. 

Edited by Shift

Well, i'm not an artist, but i've had a similar feeling with other stuff i'm good at, but sometimes we have to understand that we will never be the best in what we do, you will always find something "better", if you do, in instead of being jealous it should be an inspiration to improve yourself. It wouldn't be worth if you could never get any better.

Nope, it inspires me and makes me want to draw, and then I do and it's not as good as I think it'll be but I'm still damn proud of it. My drawing's not terrible but it's not nearly as good as some of the crap people come up with.

• Brohoof 1

99% of the art I've seen is millions of times better than mine, and I often feel like I should give up because I will never be good enough. It seems like most artists can make amazing digital pictures, and I can't even correctly shade with digital art. I would probably be a lot better if I didn't have Vista, but I'm just a stupid Vista user and don't deserve to be an artist. 

Aye that's not true! With enough practice, you can get better in no time! Trust me, when I started drawing, I felt the same way, but, I kept practicing, and I got better! Don't give up :D

I appreciate art that's more professional than mine~ 

But I do sigh relief at times when I feel that I'm the best at what I do~ that there's no one else around in my market that's actually better. And if there is someone that's better or equal or is on the same level but does things differently, I appreciate what they do and respect them~

I really think that's how people should look at things, is be like "this person has more practice than me, but oh well I do my own style and methods that set me apart and different from what others do". 

And with enough practice, everyone can end up at the same level or close to, but with different styles. 

Every is the same in quality, difference is everyone's at different levels of experience.

And really people shouldn't worry about what other people are doing and if you do, merely draw inspiration from them. 

When I see others art I get almost heart broken, that moment when your best friend asked someone else to draw a picture for them and not you. it makes me feel like im completely unappreciated and that my artwork is never going to get realized in life and that striving towards an art profession is worthless.

when this happens ill go home and just draw all day trying to convince my self that its worth something but I usually keep my feelings towards those situations completely to myself because Ive realized being modest and at LEAST acting like you are impressed by there art and even saying "You should draw me something!" with a big excited smile and not even motioning your love for artwork is the best because when someone realizes your talent they see how much you deserve it. I am never the first one to bring up MY art and I dont get deep into my own talents because people want a modest person not an attention whore.

It really helps my personal asteam but its definitely a problem I face daily, its one of the challenges of being a artist.

Well, as far as drawings go with art, I can't do art worth crap, so yeah, I get jealous at those who can ;p.

But I know they work much harder.

On a more relatable token, I get jealous of people for a lot of things, considering the fact I consider myself inferior to people very easily, and thus think everyone is better at everything than me.

99% of the art I've seen is millions of times better than mine, and I often feel like I should give up because I will never be good enough. It seems like most artists can make amazing digital pictures, and I can't even correctly shade with digital art. I would probably be a lot better if I didn't have Vista, but I'm just a stupid Vista user and don't deserve to be an artist. 

personal image and self confidence in art is THE most important thing about art and a lot of people don't think about that. If you shrived, if you practiced, if your motivated, it doesn't matter who you are you will get to your dreams! their is no maybe there is always if. just keep up with your Vista and if that's what suits you than that's what suits you, Ive know people who paint with pigs blood and make hundreds of dollars and that's no joke that is what they literally do. Its not the materials its the person and you have every right to be an artist, you will succeed but only when you understand you can.

In a way I guess I'm a bit jealous of artists in general. I have fine motor skill imparment related to my ADD which makes drawing almost impossible. Nevertheless, all the fan-art for MLP is awsome and I can't stop looking through all the wonderful artists this fandom has!

• Brohoof 1

Well, as far as drawings go with art, I can't do art worth crap, so yeah, I get jealous at those who can ;p.

But I know they work much harder.

On a more relatable token, I get jealous of people for a lot of things, considering the fact I consider myself inferior to people very easily, and thus think everyone is better at everything than me.

I think of myself as a god and the rest of everybody being my pawns in the field that only exist to form my life.... although I don't use these thoughts to my actions and I don't get arrogant it just helps me with self image :lol:

• Brohoof 1

All the freaking time. I see all these great artists on Deviantart,and I get jealous or depressed. I don't say anything about it,though.

I just feel that I'll never be that good. And it isn't about popularity,it's about bringing the works of art that I imagine in my head to life.

And knowing that I'll never be good enough to make it happen,makes me feel useless.

I think of myself as a god and the rest of everybody being my pawns in the field that only exist to form my life.... although I don't use these thoughts to my actions and I don't get arrogant it just helps me with self image :lol:

I know what you mean, Confidence is important in everything you do, I just don't always have the easiest time having it. And if I do have any, it's very fragile.

Definitely, especially when it's a friend of mine who draws better then me.

But what I usually do to get over my jealousy is to keep on looking at other people's work. That way I can learn new drawing skills and draw more and more.

I know what you mean, Confidence is important in everything you do, I just don't always have the easiest time having it. And if I do have any, it's very fragile.

and that's ok because no one is perfect and it takes work to make success

• Brohoof 1

No, I hardly ever get jealous when I ever look at someone elses artwork. Because I accept the reality that I suck at drawing and I wont get better at it. So I choose to admire artwork instead of being jealous of the artist.

personal image and self confidence in art is THE most important thing about art and a lot of people don't think about that. If you shrived, if you practiced, if your motivated, it doesn't matter who you are you will get to your dreams! their is no maybe there is always if. just keep up with your Vista and if that's what suits you than that's what suits you, Ive know people who paint with pigs blood and make hundreds of dollars and that's no joke that is what they literally do. Its not the materials its the person and you have every right to be an artist, you will succeed but only when you understand you can.

The problem with Vista is that it doesn't support a lot of art programs. 

The problem with Vista is that it doesn't support a lot of art programs. 

Well thats fine if your planning on making a career on it then any one who isn't willing to except what you have isn't worth your time. I will admit it is completely your choice to take up other talents in such categories but that doesn't mean the talent you have isn't worth having.

When i was younger, i had a huge sibling rivalry with my big brother. I felt so jealous when he would draw something and show it to our parents, and they'd praise him and say he's the best at drawing.

It's what made me improve, the ambition and desire to grow better and more creative. Eventually, i surpassed him. I dabbled in drawing, painting. Little by little, my crude drawings gained more fineness as i started paying more attention to small details, lines and their depth, shading, lighting points, perspective, etc. At the height of my skill, i entered a large oil painting i made into an art contest and won huge credit for it. But i realized eventually that it wasn't my calling, merely my drive to beat my brother. I now mostly doodle for fun, as it relaxes and distracts me.

I'm not jealous anymore because i don't really mind anymore, but i think that jealousy can actually be a powerful and beneficial force that pushes you in the right direction, and i'm grateful that i developed a certain level of creativity and evolved my imagination.