Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on the "canon" of Bonbon and Lyra?

Gustyvelvet

I think it was probably a case of the animators giving as much of a nod to the fans and their contributions as they could while still maintaining a plausible deniability that they are anything more than friends and thus avoiding the crapstorm that would come if they had actually done anything more than exchange smouldering gazes.

Kids are ready for a same sex couple in cartoons. Their parents, unfortunately, are not.

Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to take their scene in Rainbow Rocks as a sign they might be more than friends. It's cute. Is sitting that close 100% confirmation of a romantic relationship? No, and I don't ever expect it to ever be confirmed in any official capacity. It's still a plausible interpretation, and I don't see any harm in the head-canon; let people interpret the characters the way they want to. It's fairly low-impact as-far as fan theories go.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to take their scene in Rainbow Rocks as a sign they might be more than friends. It's cute. Is sitting that close 100% confirmation of a romantic relationship? No, and I don't ever expect it to ever be confirmed in any official capacity. It's still a plausible interpretation, and I don't see any harm in the head-canon; let people interpret the characters the way they want to. It's fairly low-impact as-far as fan theories go.

This right here is my view in general on just about any fan speculation in the series. Agree or disagree ... art ... all art ... is started by the artist and competed by the person viewing the art. If in that process you interpret a relationship the may not be intentional, so be it. It isn't wrong to think that at all.

• Brohoof 2

They did it just to watch us wage war against one another for their own entertainment. Now they just sit back with some popcorn and watch the madness ensue.

The reality is, this union of Lyra and Bonbon is a nice touch in this film. The simple FACT they are in a BAND together (ie the union of multiple factions becoming one) wasnt enough, you have them so close to the ultimate human expression of fondness, IE A FUCKING KISS (we are talking milimeters people)...you know what..thats enough for me. No I DO NOT, need DHX showing an episode of two cartoon ponies licking each others neather regions to express that they, as a company have read our fan fiction, seen our fan art and are CATERING TO FUCKING US....they agree witht his, and are letting us fucking see it in DIGITAL CINEMA..

Like i tell all my FRIENDS, who are NOT Bronies, "You do not like what you see...get the fuck out?"...sadly this now is passing on to ALL OF YOU, the reality is, as Snips would say "THAT SCENE JUST HAPPEND....DEAL WITH IT!" :drops Mic:

img-3139769-1-731495__safe_animated_eque

I don't know about the pony Lyra and Bonbon being an Item, but the human ones are totally together. Of course they will keep it juuuust vague enough so the prudes who gawk at anything outside their little bubble of normality won't throw a hissy fit over it. As it is that was some pretty obvious ship moments there.

I can name you a few "BFFs" couples in my social circle that would totally do that and I can guarantee are not in a romantic relationship with each other.

Remember, it's MLP, where every friends take really little time to become affectionate and really close to each other.

But it might just have been Hasbro "playfully trolling" the fans as usual  :wacko:

• Brohoof 2

I can name you a few "BFFs" couples in my social circle that would totally do that and I can guarantee are not in a romantic relationship with each other.

Remember, it's MLP, where every friends take really little time to become affectionate and really close to each other.

But it might just have been Hasbro "playfully trolling" the fans as usual  :wacko:

That is not trolling, its called "fan service" 

And as satirical as it vary well may be the fact remains that that shot is canon and has left the door wide open to interpretation, while at the same time being just discreet enough to be looked over by people who do not want to see it that way.

I am assuming you are of the group that does not see this as an option.

What I am saying is they are close enough by just that shot to say there is something there without taking too many liberties, and that is just this side of canon as far as a ship is concerned. Not that I am particularly interested in this ship mind you (I like some depth to ships and I haven't seen much from this one) but I could get behind it if more fan service of them is presented.  

• 5 months later...

For all of you saying it's just friends
think about it. Would you go cheek to cheek with you friend and look at them with (as i have heard this used many times before) "bedroom eyes"? 
a smile and look= friends 
cheek to cheek gazing intently partly narrowed eyes sly smile= more then friends
juust saying. Hasbro has shipped them 
Candyharp is cannon 

(edited)

Definitely a nod, yes. But I don't think they are canon lesbian in the movie.

That's a bit 'affectionate,' for friends, yes. But remember, they could also be sisters in the Equestria Girls world.

Edited by Frozen Fallen
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well they may not say it but I think that's what they were implying. That's the fun of art though, it's interpretational. If you just want to say they are . . . oddly close friends, there's nothing saying they are anything beyond that. If you think they are together though, that's certainly an image that would support the sentiment.

Who wants to bet they were playing this?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I would be amused if Sweetie and Lyra had anything more than friendship going on but friendship comes in many different varieties, does it not? Perhaps it should be expressed as such which is perhaps what was meant by it.

I used to think that a canon lesbian couple in an animated series was impossible, until I watched the Legend of Korra finale.

Now that's it's been done, I think it's safe to assume that it will happen again at some point.

I'm not saying that Lyra and Bon Bon are definitely a canon couple.

I'm just saying that they could be.

Hmm I dunno, I nuzzle my sister's face even more lovingly than Sweetie Drops and Lyra did but I'm not in love with my sister lol. It's confirmed that they're roommates, and from the looks of it they're very close friends. :)

• Brohoof 2

I mean, they really didn't do anything besides get close to each other. I don't think Hasbro is shipping them or anything seriously like that. If Hasbro did so, go for it, if not, that's fine too.

I'm not even sure if they nuzzled each other just touched chins, I really can't stand this concept that physical interaction with someone means you're in love with them. I don't think there is much evidence to assume they're a couple, I think it's just people wanting their fanfiction to come true. 

• Brohoof 4

I'm not even sure if they nuzzled each other just touched chins, I really can't stand this concept that physical interaction with someone means you're in love with them. I don't think there is much evidence to assume they're a couple, I think it's just people wanting their fanfiction to come true. 

Agreed. Plenty of feelings of friendship are shown through physical touch, so the idea of them touching cheeks meaning that are romantically inclined with each other is flawed at best.

• Brohoof 3

Given how our world has changed and the "definition"  what is a family is not just mom and daddy and a kid now

a days would be nice like family/kid based companies like Hasbro to ship a bit.  It would also I think make things

in the coming generation more open and welcoming to LBGT themes!

• Brohoof 1

I always thought that Lyra and Bon Bon were like sisters, so this shipping never made sense to me. If they arnt sisters..... naaah, they are just friends. DHX wouldnt do that..... would they?

Nuzzled cheeks doesnt automatically mean romantic..... that nuzzle, however, has given the shippers ammo. 

Agreed. Plenty of feelings of friendship are shown through physical touch, so the idea of them touching cheeks meaning that are romantically inclined with each other is flawed at best.

I agree. One of my love-languages (as it is called) it physical. I like hugs, high fives, stuff like that. Why should it be any different with Lyra and Bon Bon?

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Not trying to bump the topic here, but this hardly makes it canon. At best, they are close friends. All characters should be subjected to the same norm as others until proven otherwise, I.E. all ponies/humans in the MLP universe are straight until proven otherwise. And I mean real proof, not a half-second duet where they had their faces close together. I've had my face close to my brother while singing karoake before, does that mean we are a couple? No.

LGBT really has no place in a show for children, They should be allowed to form their own opinions when the time comes instead of having it reinforced into their mind that it's perfectly fine at a young age. Whether you believe it's ok or morally wrong, you should at the very least agree brainwashing a child into accepting your views is wrong.

(edited)

Not trying to bump the topic here, but this hardly makes it canon. At best, they are close friends. All characters should be subjected to the same norm as others until proven otherwise, I.E. all ponies/humans in the MLP universe are straight until proven otherwise. And I mean real proof, not a half-second duet where they had their faces close together. I've had my face close to my brother while singing karoake before, does that mean we are a couple? No.

LGBT really has no place in a show for children, They should be allowed to form their own opinions when the time comes instead of having it reinforced into their mind that it's perfectly fine at a young age. Whether you believe it's ok or morally wrong, you should at the very least agree brainwashing a child into accepting your views is wrong.

Why stop there? Why not ban all form of friendship in children shows. Children should be allowed to form their own opinion when the time comes instead of having reinforced into their minds that it's perfectly fine at a young age. 

Edited by Yamet

They are a couple in my eyes for multiple reasons, even if i know hasbro will never commit to it!