Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Poniverse Nightmare Night Contest

Batbrony

img-3147011-1-large.png

CITIZENS OF PONIVERSE!!!  WE DESIRE SPLENDID, RIVETING READING MATERIAL FOR OUR FAVORITE HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!  That holiday of course being... NIGHTMARE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!  :comeatus: 

To any and all writers of MLP fanfiction, it is my pleasure to announce an exciting opportunity for you all! :proud: Seeing as Poniverse has had a group up and running on Fimfiction for a few months now, we're pleased to inform you all that the Poniverse Fimfiction group is launching its first ever fanfiction contest!

What sort of contest, you may ask? Well, it being October and with Halloween right around the corner, this contest will have a Nightmare Night theme! Here are the contest rules and parameters:
  • (1) All entries must be somehow tied to or centered around Nightmare Night, whether comedy, slice of life, romance, horror, adventure, or some other genre.
  • (2) Entries should be no longer than 15,000 words. We'd prefer that all entries be one-shot fics, but if the author requires multiple chapters for their fic, that's fine, so long as the fic does not exceed 15,000 words and is complete upon entry.
  • (3) Entries cannot exceed a Teen rating. We will not accept any Mature rated fics, whether they be Gore fics, Slash fics, Clop fics, etc. That's not to say that you can't enter scary fics (after all, this is for Halloween), but our group has a strict policy of not accepting Mature rated fics. If any Mature rated fics are entered, we will not read or review them.
  • (4) Fics can be submitted to the contest in the folder titled "Nightmare Night Contest Entries".
  • (5) Contestants can enter no more than 1 submission of their own work (and please, do not enter any other author's work into the contest, even if you're doing it for them; if they'd like to enter the contest, they can do so themselves).
  • (6) Entries will be accepted until October 28; after that date, we will accept no new submissions.

We hope to announce the contest winners on October 31, although that date may change depending on whatever real life demands may arise in the next month. The fics that come in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be featured on our Fimfiction group and MLP Forums, along with reviews published for each one. In addition, 1st place will receive a free art commission by the artist WanderingSpirit. The piece will be a 1-2 character full art piece with a basic background, and may be whatever the winner desires, whether it be cover art for a fic, or just art of an OC. Check out some of WanderingSpirit's lovely art on her deviantART page here.

We hope this is but the first of many contests hosted by our group, and hope to see some wonderful entries that help get us all into the Nightmare Night spirit!  So get to it writers, and show us what you've got!?  :muffins:
  • Brohoof 25

But can I dress like a coffee mug?

Yeah, I'd been worrying about this as well.  I hope there's no favoritism towards donuts.

Also

How are you going to not read mature submissions? Wouldn't you have to read them in order to tell that they are mature?

• Brohoof 7

Yeah, I'd been worrying about this as well. I hope there's no favoritism towards donuts.

Also

How are you going to not read mature submissions? Wouldn't you have to read them in order to tell that they are mature?

You typically stop reading the moment it crosses that point.

I love that you are doing a NMN themed fic contest.

:D

• Brohoof 6

Can we submit more than one story or are we limited to only one?

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I will add right away that there should only be 1 entry per contestant.

But can I dress like a coffee mug?

But of course, it is Nightmare Night after all! :D  Heck, you could even dress as Fluttershy if you wanted to.  ^_^

453444__safe_fluttershy_princess+luna_cl

Ohhhhhhh, nevermind, looks like that costume's already been taken.  :please:

Well, generally fics are labeled on Fimfiction with E (for Everyone), T (for Teen), or M (for Mature) tags when they're posted.  This isn't something we do, this is something that site does in general and requires of each and every fic, and if a fic is reported as misrepresenting its rating, it's generally taken down from the site altogether unless the author changes the rating tag.  So I'm not too worried about people trying to submit Mature fics, and if it's apparent that some are getting submitted, I'll not only not review them or consider them in the running, but also sadly have to report them to Fimfiction's staff.  -_-

• Brohoof 8

I love that you are doing a NMN themed fic contest.

:D

Thank you, I figured we need more holiday themed events around here!  Heck, Nightmare Night's a holiday I'd like to see explored in the show more anyway; it's not so simple as our own Halloween where kids just dress up to get candy, it's an actual celebration of Luna (or rather, Nightmare Moon  :comeatus:) as well.  And of course, the fun is always doubled if she ever shows up to a Nightmare Night celebration.  :toldya:

• Brohoof 3

Challenge_considered.png

Hmmm ... Let's think about this one ... I actually ain't that experienced in writing fiction ... and this is in English. Write it in German and let someone translate it? Meh ... Might take too long ... Well, I'd have a nice project for the next weeks ... I could write it about something that ...

O-ho-ho-ho ... I know what I'll try! Prepare for a gramatically awful Nightmare Night fanfic about ... Well, just leaving a little hint here ...

S & R

Edited by ~StatesTheOblivious~
  • Brohoof 3

I would love to do this, but I don't have a FiMFic account. :/

It's never too late to make one. :squee: Then you could submit your lovely work of art!

• Brohoof 3

I really want to enter.

So I will.

If I can think of a good story that is XD I will probably actually revise this, I love writing but I usually just write a first draft and then I'm done with that, maybe I'll go back and fix spelling errors.

I have a fimfiction account but with no stories yet, so this will be my introduction xD

• Brohoof 1

I would love to do this, but I don't have a FiMFic account. :/

You should go ahead and make one then, like Destiny suggested!  :D   Seriously takes like 5 minutes.  :squee:

I really want to enter.

So I will.

If I can think of a good story that is XD I will probably actually revise this, I love writing but I usually just write a first draft and then I'm done with that, maybe I'll go back and fix spelling errors.

I have a fimfiction account but with no stories yet, so this will be my introduction xD

Best of luck to ya, can't wait to read your debut work!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

post-26964-0-58044800-1412736102_thumb.png (Sorry I just love this image makes me laugh no relation to the idea what so ever I just love it)

Oh this will the perfect way to try my luck with that Flutterbat idea I've had in my head for a while! 

• Brohoof 3

Does Diamond Tiara getting knocked stupid by Scootaloo count as "mature?"

And by "knocked stupid," I mean 'laying on the floor in a puddle of her own blood.'

Edited by Doxus

Sounds interesting. Maybe I shall place an entry into this as well. I've felt that I've been overworked as of late with writing projects but I think a little side story won't hurt especially if I can get more lovely art upon my wall.

• Brohoof 3

Does Diamond Tiara getting knocked stupid by Scootaloo count as "mature?"

And by "knocked stupid," I mean 'laying on the floor in a puddle of her own blood.'

Depends on how graphically it was written.  I'm sure there's a way to write that without it being 'too much', so to speak.  If you'd like, I could even preview the passage you're unsure about; just PM it to me.

Sounds interesting. Maybe I shall place an entry into this as well. I've felt that I've been overworked as of late with writing projects but I think a little side story won't hurt especially if I can get more lovely art upon my wall.

Go for it Silver Letter!  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  :muffins:

• Brohoof 4