Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Twilights Mom Twilight from Gen 1?

Night Rain

Well I was re watching a MLP episode and I think I know who Twilight's mom is. It could be Twilight from Gen 1. Now in exception for a few stars missing the color of her and a few added purple stripes. Could this be Twilight's mom? What do you think?

post-29029-0-21216600-1413081324_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Lauren Faust tried to put as many G1 ponies as she could into FiM, but Hasbro allowed her to use only one - Applejack. This is because the names of most of the others (Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash) were already trademarked and had been used prominently in G3 (as had Applejack). Twilight Sparkle was originally supposed to be just Twilight, but had her name changed. The design of Twilight was reused for Twilight Sparkle's mother, though she was officially called Twilight Velvet in FiM toys.

(Twlight Sparkle's father is modeled on a G1 pony that was available only in Germany named "Nacht Licht", which gives him his unofficial name of "Nightlight".)

• Brohoof 1

Well, they did try to use as much g1 as Faust could, as the mane 6 were actually all supposed to be the team of ponies from the "nightmare castle"? special that inspired Faust to make FiM. During the episode "testing testing, 1,2,3" they even used quite a few g1 and g3 names (such as Faust's favorite and inspiration for Rainbow Dash, Firefly) so seeing g1 designs isn't a surprise.

Well I was re watching a MLP episode and I think I know who Twilight's mom is. It could be Twilight from Gen 1. Now in exception for a few stars missing the color of her and a few added purple stripes. Could this be Twilight's mom? What do you think?
The proof is in the pudding!
  • Brohoof 1

We can all agree she holds a Dragon Ball.

She's just waiting to hand it down to Twilight

• Brohoof 1

Remember the episode where Twilight got her cutie mark?

http://youtu.be/n8tv-QXUnNQ?t=53s

Now look at the original Twilight.

2twilight3.jpg

I think you may have unlocked a fun little mystery here!  It might be more accurate, though, to theorize that this Twilight could've been a further-back relative.  TS's mom only had 3 stars.  The G1 version clearly has more, even at this angle.

Edited by Washougal_Otaku
  • Brohoof 2

I like to think that G4 Twilight and her mother are descendants of G1 Twilight, honestly. As G1 Twilight is likely an ancestor.

• Brohoof 2

Remember the episode where Twilight got her cutie mark?

http://youtu.be/n8tv-QXUnNQ?t=53s

Now look at the original Twilight.

img-3178869-1-2twilight3.jpg

I think you may have unlocked a fun little mystery here!  It might be more accurate, though, to theorize that this Twilight could've been a further-back relative.  TS's mom only had 3 stars.  The G1 version clearly has more, even at this angle.

The number of stars in her cutie mark is likely due to differences in artistic style more than anything else. Another example: Rarity was originally supposed to be the G1 pony Sparkler. Allowing for artistic differences, Rarity still looks identical to Sparkler, right down to the cutie mark, except that in G4 Rarity has only three diamonds while Sparkler had ten.

Keep in mind the G1 toys were significantly larger than the current brushable pony toys, which allowed for more detailed cutie marks.

Incidentally, when it comes to the others, Rainbow Dash was (obviously) originally going to be Firefly, Pinkie Pie was originally Surprise and Fluttershy was originally Posey.

Edited by Red Cedar

The number of stars in her cutie mark is likely due to differences in artistic style more than anything else. Another example: Rarity was originally supposed to be the G1 pony Sparkler. Allowing for artistic differences, Rarity still looks identical to Sparkler, right down to the cutie mark, except that in G4 rarity has only three diamonds while Sparkler had ten.

Incidentally, when it comes to the others, Rainbow Dash was (obviously) originally going to be Firefly, Pinkie Pie was originally Surprise and Fluttershy was originally Posey.

Well, the point that I was trying to make (which I guess wasn't that well stated) is that Twilight G1 looks a like like Twilight Sparkle's mom, except for that one key point, while having some fun with different theories on the "relation" between the two gens.

Well, the point that I was trying to make (which I guess wasn't that well stated) is that Twilight G1 looks a like like Twilight Sparkle's mom, except for that one key point, while having some fun with different theories on the "relation" between the two gens.

I understand, however, the relation between the two gens was all in the mind of the current series' creator, and that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Well I like all the info you all brought here. I just love to see how others see it. It opens ones eyes to other views. So THANK YOU to all of you and to any posts to this in the Future.

post-29029-0-10350400-1414562970.jpg

Edited by Night Rain
  • Brohoof 1

Not really. She's a tribute/homage/reference to G1 Twilight, but not the real thing.

To be honest, what I'd like to see happen is Twilight, Shining, or someone close to her looking at old photo albums and stumble upon a picture of her with a PINK coat that makes her look just like G1 Twilight/Lauren's concept art and then she says "I wanted to try something new" or "It was a phase" ;):lol:

If G1 ponies were G4 descendants... it would make sense.
Pinkie Pie has the amazing agility and speed of a Pegasus. That and her sporadic nature meshes up with Surprise quite well
Fluttershy has a love of the earth and nature that could rival an earth pony. Her rather seclusive nature is really similar to Posey's.

Similar traits, and abilities. Though i'd like to think it's more likely that G1 is an alternate universe, simply because it allows the G1 cast to be the bearers of the elements. Maybe G1 and G4 are suffering from universal bleed? wouldn't be the first time in FIM.

I think that it's pretty cool that Faust incorporated generation 1 ponies. Some of them have cute designs!

• Brohoof 1