Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls = Overhated

thegamerator10

Okay, I browse YouTube and some brony forums, right?

And almost every time, I see several bronies bash Equestria Girls (the first one).

I don't see where the hate is coming from. :confused:  I really enjoyed it.

EG's plotline wasn't spectacular, but that didn't mean it wasn't good or stable. The characters are the Mane cast, so there you go. The conflict was very understandable and someone could relate to Twilight in this situation, what with and item close to you being grand-thefted. The graphics are exactly like the show. The animation in the final fight with Sunset Shimmer was very impressive. We see Twilight make some great leader decisions. So, there. EG is overhated.

Does anypony else concur (agree)?

• Brohoof 9

I liked it and it's sequel (which I literally watched an hour ago). I think the majority of the hate comes from the way people view change or something different. It happens with everything, when people start liking something or see it for a long time they seem to resist change or a different form of what they like. 

Well yes it is because is it really worth getting mad at a movie that doesn't effect the cannon at all?

No but it is worth getting mad at it for sucking(and here I was thinking Twilight was always intelligent all the time but I guess I was wrong).

(and here I was thinking Twilight was always intelligent all the time but I guess I was wrong).

Well how can she exactly be rational when she is in a totally different world. Sure at some points she may have been a bit too stupid but I think her ever constant intelligence kinda has the right to be taking a back seat for this one considering her circumstance.   

It was "meh" at best for me Twilight being so stupid.  She has no reason to not know what hands are or how doors work.  There is also the fact that all the problems get solved as quickly as they come up.  These things have all been said before but are, in my mind, legitimate problems with the narrative.

Well how can she exactly be rational when she is in a totally different world. Sure at some points she may have been a bit too stupid but I think her ever constant intelligence kinda has the right to be taking a back seat for this one considering her circumstance.   

Then why is Spike acting fine in this movie(hack why is he more intelligent then Twilight).

She has no reason to not know what hands are or how doors work.

Twilight understood how doors worked. Her problem was that she didn't realize her horn was gone so the door would not open telekineticaly for her.

I think it's a bandwagon to hate on EQG, i myself enjoyed the first movie, can't form an opinion on Rainbow Rocks, as I haven't seen it yet.

• Brohoof 2

As other people already mentioned, I'm positive that the main source of the hate is the humanization of the characters. I often see comments and fan-art that are against the fact that their precious ponies got humanized. 

I must say, though, I actually enjoyed the first EQG and it's equal. Sure, a lot of haters might point out that the two movies had plot-holes and stuff like that, but the plot-holes aren't going to take away my enjoyment of EQG.

It was "meh" at best for me Twilight being so stupid.  She has no reason to not know what hands are or how doors work.  There is also the fact that all the problems get solved as quickly as they come up.  These things have all been said before but are, in my mind, legitimate problems with the narrative.

Let's not forget the fact that Twilight is normally a pony. I really don't think she knows what hands are or how to use them.

I believe it wasnt bad, but it wasnt good either. Not as good as the origional show, and i dont really like the headshapes. they creep me out. Although rainbow rocks was much better, even though they still had creepy headshapes.

I suppose that overhated must be the new buzzword of the week on here as I've seen it crop up a few times in a few threads. Not a fan of that one since it lacks a natural poetic flow. :/

EQG, which I enjoy, did have some flaws, missed opportunities, and inconsistencies. However, (Dear God I can't believe I am going to say this) Oddly enough it was a shipfic  ._.  that helped me better appreciate this film in combination with it's much MUCH better sequel. I still say that some of the criticisms levied at EQG are justified though. 

• Brohoof 1

I came up with a theory as to where a lot of the hate comes from. A lot of complaints I've heard basically amount to "it doesn't have ponies". I found this odd until I realized the brony fandom has a large overlap with the furry fandom. The entire raison d'etre of furries is talking animals. So by the "single issue voter" nature of the furries, when they see a movie with only minimal talking animals, well then what's the point?

Yeah, come at me furries. I'm ready to throw down.

I don't HATE equestrian girls or Rainbow Rocks, I just dislike it. I think that a title with "My Little Pony" should simply remain PONIES. (Kinda drives my liking for the show, the ponies... ponies...PONIES...)

But I think the thing I hate the most is the idea of alternate dimensions, I never liked an idea like that.

I *hate* Equestria Girls, but my hatred of it has nothing to do with it's actual quality. Honestly, compared to the show, it is a bit "under" but it's not abysmal in quality. And I mean it overall, sum of it's parts.

What really bothers me about Equestria Girls doesn't even have anything to do with IT. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I feel like it's a bastard child that stole the place of the legitimate successor, which would be a movie with the real Mane Six, in Equestria, doing their usual fantasy stuff when they go on an adventure.

Equestria Girls, to me, is kinda like Twilight had an exam at school and it's about elephants, but she had studied snakes. So she writes that elephants are big animals with noses that look like snakes, and speaking of snakes she proceeds to say all there is to say about snakes.

So, I don't think that it's a terribly bad movie and I'm sure that Rainbow Rocks is better. But it's not what I expected a MLP:FIM movie would be. If I had to choose a feeling, it would not actually be hatred. It would be 'betrayal'.

Just to be sure: this is my opinion. I think that people are free to dislike it for all the reasons people dislike it as much as I think people are free to like it. But this is what I think.

I *hate* Equestria Girls, but my hatred of it has nothing to do with it's actual quality. Honestly, compared to the show, it is a bit "under" but it's not abysmal in quality. And I mean it overall, sum of it's parts.

What really bothers me about Equestria Girls doesn't even have anything to do with IT. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I feel like it's a bastard child that stole the place of the legitimate successor, which would be a movie with the real Mane Six, in Equestria, doing their usual fantasy stuff when they go on an adventure.

Equestria Girls, to me, is kinda like Twilight had an exam at school and it's about elephants, but she had studied snakes. So she writes that elephants are big animals with noses that look like snakes, and speaking of snakes she proceeds to say all there is to say about snakes.

So, I don't think that it's a terribly bad movie and I'm sure that Rainbow Rocks is better. But it's not what I expected a MLP:FIM movie would be. If I had to choose a feeling, it would not actually be hatred. It would be 'betrayal'.

Just to be sure: this is my opinion. I think that people are free to dislike it for all the reasons people dislike it as much as I think people are free to like it. But this is what I think.

Something to consider:

This is just educated an educated guess on my part, but I think there would simply be no movie at all if it weren't for Equestria Girls.

The first thing to consider is that these aren't so much true movies as they are made for TV movies with a very limited theatrical run. The theatrical run seems more like about building up hype for when it shows on Discovery Family a few weeks later than anything else. Plus these movies just barely clock in at what could be considered movie length.

The reason these movies exist is because Hasbro wanted to make a spin-off of FiM to promote their Equestria Girls dolls, BUT they didn't want to devote the resources to a full series. (Equestria Academy seems to be nothing more than a translation error at this point.) So instead every year they will release an Equestria Girls special during the hiatus between seasons. And then someone in their marketing department had the idea of hyping these specials by giving them a limited theater run, so now this isn't just some special, it's now a MOVIE.

So assuming all my educated guessing is correct, there is no reason to feel betrayed because these movies aren't displacing a potential pony movie with actual ponies at all. They're just a side project.

Something to think about.

EDIT: Another piece of evidence to support my theory is that the first movie has a G rating, but for Rainbow Rocks there is no rating at all. They couldn't be bothered to jump through hoops for an MPAA rating, because the theatrical run is so limited.

Edited by Andaasonsan
  • Brohoof 1

I love EQG as a movie in its own right - it's cute and fun and similar enough to FiM (though still not not quite as good as FiM at its best) for me to enjoy it. I can totally understand why it's not for everyone, but I do think the hate it gets is OTT...Personally I feel like maybe it's because so many people were convinced it was going to suck from the moment it was announced? So when they actually watched the movie, they'd already decided to hate it and so focused only on the flaws. Plus some people have a real hate-on for the fact it's made to sell more toys (despite that being, you know, the reason FiM exists...) and were worried that it was going to replace/take over FiM, so yeah, there was already a lot of controversy over the idea so no matter how the movie turned out - and I don't think it's perfect, but it seems to get way more criticism over flaws than the average FiM episode - some people were determined to hate it.

I do get why some people just don't like the idea of the ponies being human, though - I'm not a furry, but cute talking animals are still generally way more appealing than regular old humans :P also, there are already countless other movies/TV shows/everything about humans in a high school setting, so it might seem like taking away what's unique about MLP FiM and the world of Equestria, I guess? I understand that more, because I'd also much rather have a full-length FiM movie about the actual ponies than EQG. But at the end of the day, they are the same characters we love, just in an AU setting, and for me the writers do a pretty good job of putting a different spin on your usual high school cliches and integrating the two universes. And I've come to find the EQG versions cute in their own way too :3

• Brohoof 1

Something to consider:

This is just educated an educated guess on my part, but I think there would simply be no movie at all if it weren't for Equestria Girls.

The first thing to consider is that these aren't so much true movies as they are made for TV movies with a very limited theatrical run. The theatrical run seems more like about building up hype for when it shows on Discovery Family a few weeks later than anything else. Plus these movies just barely clock in at what could be considered movie length.

The reason these movies exist is because Hasbro wanted to make a spin-off of FiM to promote their Equestria Girls dolls, BUT they didn't want to devote the resources to a full series. (Equestria Academy seems to be nothing more than a translation error at this point.) So instead every year they will release an Equestria Girls special during the hiatus between seasons. And then someone in their marketing department had the idea of hyping these specials by giving them a limited theater run, so now this isn't just some special, it's now a MOVIE.

So assuming all my educated guessing is correct, there is no reason to feel betrayed because these movies aren't displacing a potential pony movie with actual ponies at all. They're just a side project.

Something to think about.

I hate it when people say stuff like 'something to think about', 'something to consider'. It makes me feel like they are talking down to me, and honestly, I had enough of this in college.

Wherever Equestria Girls is a 'movie' or just a 'special', doesn't really mater. Whatever it is, it's 'something' that is not the 'thing' I was expecting.

And honestly? I would still prefer no movie rather than Equestria Girls. Mostly because that in every single toy store I go it's easier to find one of the Equestria Girls doll than a pony toy. It has defaced the franchise as far as I can see. To be fair, I live in Brazil, so this may have an effect. But still, It how I see it.

I understand why is it that it exists. But the fact that I understand it, doesn't force me to like the fact that it does exist. The thing is, these 'movies' cost money. Okay, one's existence doesn't doesn't exclude the possibility of the other existing, but until I see a movie like I said I wanted a MLP:FIM movie to be... Well, I feel perfectly justified in saying that Equestria Girls is taking the place of the non-existing movie. It's siphoning money from the source and since Hasbro hasn't mentioned yet that they would commission a different movie, it doesn't make very confident that I should expect it. After all, MLP and EG is one and the same thing to Hasbro, as far a can be seen. As soon as they do confirm a 'real' MLP:FIM movie, I'll shut up about this.

When I see 'My Little Pony' I expect ponies and Equestria Girls feeds off MLP's success to the point I doubt it would be welcomed as it was if not for the MLP part of it. You're right when you say that Equestria Girls is a big ad for the dolls, as much as the show is a series of ads for other toys. And I can't even say that it's somehow wrong of Hasbro to do what they've done, but I'll be damned if I don't say that it's not what I (and a lot of the fans) expected it be when the rumors of a MLP movie started appearing. Personal opinion again: I think that this is cheap, and if this was about something more serious than a cartoon, I would say that it borders on the disgusting for a business practice, almost like a smoke screen or a big F- you to the people that love their products.

Now I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right and that they are wrong. I'm trying to explain why is it that I don't like EG, because it seems that everyone thinks that everyone who dislikes the damn movie hates it for the sake of hating and should be educated about why is it that the movie was made.

I hate it when people say stuff like 'something to think about', 'something to consider'. It makes me feel like they are talking down to me, and honestly, I had enough of this in college.

Wherever Equestria Girls is a 'movie' or just a 'special', doesn't really mater. Whatever it is, it's 'something' that is not the 'thing' I was expecting.

And honestly? I would still prefer no movie rather than Equestria Girls. Mostly because that in every single toy store I go it's easier to find one of the Equestria Girls doll than a pony toy. It has defaced the franchise as far as I can see. To be fair, I live in Brazil, so this may have an effect. But still, It how I see it.

I understand why is it that it exists. But the fact that I understand it, doesn't force me to like the fact that it does exist. The thing is, these 'movies' cost money. Okay, one's existence doesn't doesn't exclude the possibility of the other existing, but until I see a movie like I said I wanted a MLP:FIM movie to be... Well, I feel perfectly justified in saying that Equestria Girls is taking the place of the non-existing movie. It's siphoning money from the source and since Hasbro hasn't mentioned yet that they would commission a different movie, it doesn't make very confident that I should expect it. After all, MLP and EG is one and the same thing to Hasbro, as far a can be seen. As soon as they do confirm a 'real' MLP:FIM movie, I'll shut up about this.

When I see 'My Little Pony' I expect ponies and Equestria Girls feeds off MLP's success to the point I doubt it would be welcomed as it was if not for the MLP part of it. You're right when you say that Equestria Girls is a big ad for the dolls, as much as the show is a series of ads for other toys. And I can't even say that it's somehow wrong of Hasbro to do what they've done, but I'll be damned if I don't say that it's not what I (and a lot of the fans) expected it be when the rumors of a MLP movie started appearing. Personal opinion again: I think that this is cheap, and if this was about something more serious than a cartoon, I would say that it borders on the disgusting for a business practice, almost like a smoke screen or a big F- you to the people that love their products.

Now I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right and that they are wrong. I'm trying to explain why is it that I don't like EG, because it seems that everyone thinks that everyone who dislikes the damn movie hates it for the sake of hating and should be educated about why is it that the movie was made.

Well if you're mostly seeing Equestria Girls dolls, it's probably because you're going to the actual toys intended for girls section of the store. I don't know what Brazil has store wise, but here if you just go down the toy aisle in a department store that's all you're going to find. The things aimed more at the adult collectors are going to be found at specialty stores like comic shops and is generally dominated by actual ponies.

But anyhow, business wise you're talking like this is a zero sum game. It's a separate line of toys intended for a slightly different demographic. It can't really "siphon money" away from FiM if it's making Hasbro more money. As long as both lines stay healthy they can support both.

EDIT: I also just looked this up: Hasbro is a company with $4.4 billion dollars in assets. If they want to support both lines, I'm pretty sure they can support both lines.

Edited by Andaasonsan