Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls = Overhated

thegamerator10

Well if you're mostly seeing Equestria Girls dolls, it's probably because you're going to the actual toys intended for girls section of the store. I don't know what Brazil has store wise, but here if you just go down the toy aisle in a department store that's all you're going to find. The things aimed more at the adult collectors are going to be found at specialty stores like comic shops and is generally dominated by actual ponies.

I'm talking about the 'official' toys by Hasbro. The ones that generate revenue directly to them. Unless I'm mistaken, even in the US, these are the ones that actually give them money. True, the third party stuff aimed at older fans as collector's items are to be found in different stores, but these can't be found here. Anywhere. I'm not even complaining that I probably pay more for my miniatures. It's not an issue, as I have my own income. It's just that this is all I can find. And I'll give you a cookie if you find a MLP comic here.  ^_^  I buy mine with iBooks and I consider myself damn lucky I can. Eh... I'm running on a tangent...

But anyhow, business wise you're talking like this is a zero sum game. It's a separate line of toys intended for a slightly different demographic. It can't really "siphon money" away from FiM if it's making Hasbro more money. As long as both lines stay healthy they can support both.   EDIT: I also just looked this up: Hasbro is a company with $4.4 billion dollars in assets. If they want to support both lines, I'm pretty sure they can support both lines.

Like I said, I'll be quiet about this when I can see a 'movie' about MLP, not Equestria Girls. All this money is not just for MLP/Equestria Girls: they have a lot of other lines, and not to mention that all this money doesn't belong to one single decision-making body. Like any modern, gigantic corporation, this money belongs to a rather large number of people. They don't want to lose money, which is actually the reason Equestria Girls exists as it does today: they didn't want to build a franchise from the ground. Which you said yourself and we both agree. To them this translates as: 'if we start a new franchise we can lose money if it bombs'. Thus the situation the franchise is now... Maybe I'm wrong and some dude at Hasbro's finance department is laughing his behind off because of what I just said. But them it just makes their move seem even more 'jerk-ish' to me. You enjoy Equestria Girls. I'll wait until the owners of our desires deem us worthy of a 'MLP:FIM movie'.

I just cant get past the shallow high school drama stuff. This is such a surreal contrast from what the actual show itself is about. But the key thing that annoys me about these movies is is the fact that they made a point to tie them with original story line.

When you watch FIM there is a certain amount of depth involved in the show. Even the most shallowest of characters like Rarity's crushes have depth.

EG is just a shallow version of FIM. The movies barely explore the world. Sunset Shimmer has some depth, but mostly everyone is shallow and relies on them being mirror human images of FIM characters.

Equestria Girls is OK. I still have a hard time getting over those blend of colors on humans. I can see why it is hated because it's nothing more than a tie-in with an average script. 

But it is what it is...a filler. Just give Equestria Girls a chance, you might see how wrong you were:P

You know, there are a lot of problems with EQG, but I can't for the life of me understand those complaining about Twilight being too "stupid" and about Spike being "smarter". Spike has always walked on two legs and used his hands to open doors; Twilight has never in her entire life done so. There are so many other problems with it (such as a Deus Ex Machina that doesn't make sense) that you really don't need to be nitpicking like that in order to get across that EQG is intrinsically flawed.

• Brohoof 1

When you've got people wishing for people to get FUCKING SHOT UP in the theaters for liking the movie...then yeah...I'd say it's definitely too hated

Selling point likely has a big impression on the movies.

EG sold the idea that Twilight was going to explore a different world, but ends up confined to the high school for most of the duration trying to win the school prom.

RR sold the idea that there will be a rocking contest between many bands, but only three groups wind up able to sing while a montage eliminates the competition and the entire contest was highjacked by the villains making it irrelevant. 

Well, I think it has a good movie that has some legitimate issues. It's fun for what it is, but I can fully understand why some would have the following issues:

1. High school setting

2. Pop-ish music

3. Unmemorabl & unspectacular plot

4. Bad execution of villain plan

Honestly, while I'm sure some probably hate it a bit too much, it does deserve some criticism.

• Brohoof 1

Here's what I will say, I get where the hatred comes from. High school settings are an overused setting these days. But I feel some people act like these movies murdered their family or something. Whenever Equestria Girls is mentioned in a thread or on Equestria Daily, everyone then gets more bitter and passive aggressive than Star Wars fans were to the prequels. Really, I've seen worse than this trust me. Oh, and I actually liked Rainbow Rocks.

Rainbow Rocks is surely to change people's minds. If people refuse to watch it, then they are just stubborn people who probably don't deserve to see a good MLP movie. Everyone can agree here that the Sequel was MUCH better than the original for various reasons. Flash had... sort of a purpose. (Being controlled by the villains, he served as... some kind of extra minor antagonist.) Shimmer turns into one of the most likable characters in the show, and various cameos are shown that people were begging for. (Annoyingly.) And the villains were also great. They had more personality than all of the villains (excluding Discord) in MLP combined.

The original had flaws. I love Rainbow Rocks 100x better than the original, but I still find EQG to be an "Alright" movie. Despite its flaws.

I must admit, I avoided the first EG movie for a while as I was rather skeptical about seeing my favourite ponies as humans. Then I saw it was available on Netflix and decided to give it a go and I really enjoyed it. I was happy to see a sequel, let alone one which was far better than the first. I certainly don't hate EG, in fact, I like it..a lot... it just took some getting used to seeing them in that form at first

Same, I don't get the hate. Maybe it's more bandwagon stuff. Yes sure them being humanized seemed a little iffy at first but it's not like it was the whole point of the movie. The only times Twilight pointed out her new form was in the context of her finding difficulty fitting in...which, tbh, could happen regardless of her form. And that was only like in the first 20 minutes of the movie.