Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fandoms that are mostly female?

SolidTwilight

I've been browsing through Dragon Age stuff on DeviantART a lot lately and it seems that most of the stuff I come across is chicks fangirling over Alistair - at least on that site. I hold steadfast in my belief that Morrigan is superior, though.

STOP BEING SO WRONG PLS

ALLY-BAE <333

Actually I didn't like any of them too too much except Dog

YOU GO, DOG

OH AND LEI-LEI WAS COOL

I also think the Free!dom is pretty much exclusively female. I know quite a few guys in it, but it's pretty far in-between for them.

Edited by Quip
  • Brohoof 1

• The Beatles fan base was mostly female during the Beatlemania years of the 60's

• Boy bands

• Lots of Top-40 music nowadays

• The Vampire Diaries

• True Blood

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer

• Pre Friendship is Magic My Little Pony

• Care Bears

• Bratz and Barbie dolls

The Justin Bieber fandom? Lol, I'm sure there are plenty of guy fans too, but it seems to me that it's always been girls who are fans.

Or /have/ been fans.... When he wasn't a douche.

nah i doubt Justin biber has any guy fans 

all the guys hate him 

• 2 weeks later...

You want a female centered fandom?

Look no further than Fujoshi, the followers of the Yaoi fandom. If you don't know what those two words are then you may want to just stay ignorant. 

I'm a Fudanshi for those who do know 

1c1.jpg

From a certain point of view, Star Trek.

I'm not kidding. Back in the 70's, 80's, the majority of active (as in they actually contributed to newsletters, books, art, etc.) Trekkies were ladies. Although technically there were more men who identified as Trekkies, the majority of those were very passive 'consumer' fans, while most of the fan-works (of widely varying quality) were produced by women. The Trek fandom was weirdly infamous for this arrangement back then.

A more traditional primarily female fandom that has vanished now were the Runners. They were fans of the Logan's Run franchise. Of course, there are still Runners around, but they aren't considered a current fandom as such.

Oh, and Wonder Woman fans. My wife's still in that fandom, it's primarily female, and like most of the fandom is incredibly pissed at how DC is mishandling the IP.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show seems to have mostly female fans (at the very least, they're the louder fans). 

I've heard people joke about how Mlp came out and got a bunch of male fans, and them 2012 TMNT came out and got a bunch of female fans. It does seem like the opposite should have happened based on gender roles, but I say more power to everyone who steps outside of society's norm to be the awesome people they are!  B)

• Brohoof 2

I'm trying to figure out what to say about this, but fandom in general is just so varied...

I will say though that I find it interesting that people are citing a lot of very mainstream fandoms, and that's actually perfectly logical. If something is in the mainstream, such as Twilight, One Direction, or on the other side sports and various raunchy comedies, then the fandom will conform to the mainstream by being largely composed of the audience that the media is "supposed" to be for. Boy bands and romance stories are "girl things", so their mainstream fandoms are mostly female, while sports and action movies are "boy things", so their mainstream fandoms are mostly male. 

Once you get outside the mainstream though, it's anybody's game. In my experience, what fandoms are dominated by what gender tends more to be a question of what subgroup of said fandom you're in than anything else. MLP is a great example, I've found places where the bronies are mostly male, places where they're mostly female, and places like this forum where it seems to be pretty 50/50.

Well, from my early experience when Digimon: Digital Monsters was in it's prime during the first season, it seemed to me that most of the fans that I met online were female. Of course my experience is vastly limited, but it seemed that most of the fellow fans I met were female.

Not complaining though. ^^

• 7 months later...

Twilight, One Direction, Justin Bieber, Hunger Games...

Sadly, pretty much 70 or so percent of the things mainstream society finds obnoxious.

The remaining 30 percent of course being antisemitism and fat guys in speedos.

Oh, and Wonder Woman fans. My wife's still in that fandom, it's primarily female, and like most of the fandom is incredibly pissed at how DC is mishandling the IP.

I'm willing to bet that this mishandling is just one of several to which you are referring:

Wonder-Woman-Rocket-Raccoon.jpg

Edited by Ochre_Dust
  • Brohoof 2

Fujoshi are all female. Male Fujoshi like myself are known as Fudanshi 

If you don't know what either term of this fandom then its okay, but look up at your own risk. If that fandom sinks its hooks in you you'll never get out completely, and it will color your perception of shows forever. 

Edited by Buck Testa

The Sims fandom.

Mostly women for some reason I'm not sure of. The Sims seems like a pretty balanced game for both genders. :s

From my experience, there are a lot of Members and Fans female on Horror Games Forums. Specially Silent Hill. I dont know if its more females than males, but there are a lot females.