Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feature Length MLP Movie Announced For 2017!

EquestriaGuy

produced through Allspark Pictures

Guys, don't be expecting the animation to be as good as DHX's work. This is a new, unproven, in-house studio.

Joe Ballarini, who wrote Fox’s “Ice Age: Continental Drift”

Great idea. To be fair, though, he has written other things.

Megan McCarthy, who produces and has written for the series “My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic,” and straight-to-homevideo “My Little Pony: Equestria Girls” films, will serve as co-executive producer on the theatrical movie.

So far, that's one member of the show staff (although I think it goes without saying that the Mane 6 VAs will reprise their roles), and she is only a co-producer.

I know the Equestria Girls movies have had mixed reactions, but at least those were developed by the actual show staff. Hasbro just fabricating together an unproven staff doesn't exactly fill me with high hopes.

THE DREAM IS REAL

I'm a little skeptical, though. That Ice Age movie credited to the writer isn't exactly a classic, and it seems like it isn't the original staff. McCarthy is involved though, so there's that. 

THE DREAM IS REAL

I'm a little skeptical, though. That Ice Age movie credited to the writer isn't exactly a classic, and it seems like it isn't the original staff. McCarthy is involved though, so there's that.

Then again though, just because you don't write good on one thing doesn't mean you're a bad writer. It could be not your thing. I don't know again, I've never seen that movie. Always found the Ice Age movies very boring.

Oh, yay! I knew Hasbro was going to eventually make a movie. 

Though i was fearing that they would follow the "characters go into the human world and have to find a way to get home while someone's house" plot. Looks like they aren't going to, though.

• Brohoof 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpgy21r_dRE

From what I've heard the Equestria Girls movies have done financially well, so an actual pony movie in theaters will sell tickets fast. Not to mention that one of the common complaints for the two-parters is that they didn't have enough time and had to rush an ending. If they can make something with the same level as A Canterlot Wedding and Twilight's Kingdom with even less of time constraint, then I have no doubt this will be glorious.

However...2017? That seems a bit long of a time frame. On the plus side, considering G4 just celebrated its fourth year a few weeks ago, it could mean we've only just passed the midway point of the series as a whole. On the negative side, and I do apologize for being pessimistic about all this, 2 1/2 - 3 years is still a long time, and even with something as undeniably popular and successful as FIM, there's still a chance it could over stay it's welcome like Spongebob and The Simpsons have.    

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

Just because it says AllSpark isn't confirmation that DHX will not be involved. Each production studio has different divisions. I mean, I can't be the only one here who notices multiple production studios on TV and Movies these days? It's common that one handles marketing and distribution and the other handles production and development.

• Brohoof 3

Guys, don't be expecting the animation to be as good as DHX's work. This is a new, unproven, in-house studio.

From what I've read, Allspark Pictures is a financing outlet only, meant to raise the money to fund movies like this. They will likely still use DHX for animation and the like. (Let's face it, they'd be silly not to and still call it MLP).

This isn't a unique example. For instance, many years ago when Monty Python was trying to make the film Life of Brian, no one wanted to finance it because they were afraid of a backlash if the were seen to fund a film made by Monty Python parodying the life of Jesus. Eventually, the pitch for the film reached the ears of an individual who had made a bit of a fortune in the music industry by the name of George Harrison. George decided he really wanted to see this film, so he started a production company called Handmade Films and, through that company, financed Monty Python's movie. The result was still Monty Python, just where the money came from changed. It will likely be the same with Allspark Pictures essentially "hiring" DHX to make the movie, rather than Hasbro directly. (Hasbro can also limit losses by funding films through a subsidiary rather than directly, in case one bombs, so there's a business case here, to0.)

• Brohoof 4

I hope it's true! :D EDIT: It is! Can't wait! (3 years though X_X)

I also hope that doesn't mean the show will end in 2017...

Edited by Blobulle

FINALLY!!!!! 

It's about time that we finally get a PONY movie instead of those... hideous humans.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it will be released during the season 7 -> 8 hiatus.

Finally a movie where they won't be in their human form.

Edited by Blobulle

Hm, i wonder if this slightly hints that the show will stay on the air atleast until that time. Especially if they would consider the movie to be the official ending of generation 4 MLP. I'm just guessing here, though. But it is a good sign.

Is it bad that i only care because its going to have Pinkie in it -- on the big screen -- in a full length movie -- that isn't about whacky highschool things?  :maud:  

Because i don't feel bad about it one bit.  :maud:

No, it is not bad. That is one of the best reasons to care. Seeing Pinkie on the big screen in a non Equestria Girls setting is like seeing a Chikorita do the worm.

• Brohoof 2

Finally, shame its going to be so long away! I hope it comes to a cinema near me, unlike Equestrian Girls.. :okiedokielokie:

No, it is not bad. That is one of the best reasons to care. Seeing Pinkie on the big screen in a non Equestria Girls setting is like seeing a Chikorita do the worm.

Good. Because the only reason i bothered to see EQG and EQG:RR, was because Pinkie. It just so happened that i found EQG bearable and RR pretty darn good. :maud:  

Off topic but also.. :maud:

seeing a Chikorita do the worm.

Has that ever happened?..  :maud:

320px-Pinkie_Pie_examining_Twilight_clos

• Brohoof 2

This is perhaps the best news I've heard in a while. It'll give me a reason to go to the theater again, something I rarely do. Wouldn't surprise me if you guys are right on the movie being the "grand finale" so to speak but then again...it could be the start of something instead. Look how long Pokemon has been around and how many movies there are (not saying that's a good thing, though) I guess only time will tell but I'm excited! :yay:

• Brohoof 1