Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feature Length MLP Movie Announced For 2017!

EquestriaGuy

On another note, I hope they make this go theatrical and not limited theaters like with EQG. The last time I've seen a worldwide non limited theater release of a movie of an animated show was The Simpsons Movie in 2007.

From the article:

"It is in discussion with studios to release the film “on the broadest possible number of screens,” said Stephen Davis, president of Hasbro Studios and global entertainment and licensing for Hasbro Inc."

• Brohoof 1

For those worrying that DHX might not be involved, it didn't say Allspark was doing the animation. Like Red Cedar said, they will likely just fund the movie. Also, most movies have more than on production studio.

From the article:

"It is in discussion with studios to release the film “on the broadest possible number of screens,” said Stephen Davis, president of Hasbro Studios and global entertainment and licensing for Hasbro Inc."

Well that's nice confirmation. Now the question is, what will the plot be for the movie.
  • Brohoof 1

Wow? Really? That's pretty cool, you don't really see as many 2D animated movies in theaters and I'm glad our favored MLP brand will be delivering on that front(right? probably lol)!

I don't know how much better it'll be than what we've already gotten with the show(which has been some amazing shit, don't forget that now), or if the production of the movie will effect the quality of seasons to come before it(god I hope not), or if this might even be a series ender(which I would be okay with personally, 7 years is a great runtime), but whatever happens, I'll certainly be optimistic during the long wait for this project. Would say I can't wait, but I can- we've still got so much more show to come after all. :D;)

• Brohoof 3

Well here's what I think needs to happen:

If it's going to be in congruence with the show, it either needs to be animated by DHX for consistency, or animated by a 2D animation company keeping the same style.

If the writer of Ice Age: Continental Drift is writing it, I hope Meghan will advise him on what to do and what not to do.

If it is going to be a theatrical release, it needs to appeal to kids as well as parents for any chance of success. 

If it is treated as both a series finale and a feature length movie, it needs to do a good job of informing the audience on who everyone is without coming off as just stupid exposition as well as having a satisfying beginning, middle, and ending.

Most of all, it needs to be good. We don't want it to be bad, do we folks?

• Brohoof 3

Anyone wondering that if this isn't indeed the conclusion of the series, this would be a first entry in a potential series like the Pokémon films?

I hope not. I think it's best for G4 to tie up everyone's story arcs, and end while it's still good. A movie could make for an amazing grand finale. However, if they were to make multiple obligatory cash-in movies, chances are they'll end up being very uninspired, and drag G4 on longer than it needs to. Rather then going out with a bang, it will end with a whimper.

If the writer of Ice Age: Continental Drift is writing it, I hope Meghan will advise him on what to do and what not to do.

Well if it makes you feel any better, he was uncredited, apparently. It could mean he wasn't exactly proud to work on it, but obviously I can't speak for him. I'm assuming he was chosen because he had experience in writing for feature films. That, and Meghan McCarthy still has to work on the show.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

Anyone wondering that if this isn't indeed the conclusion of the series, this would be a first entry in a potential series like the Pokémon films?

Maybe, but honestly I'd prefer they focus more on the show than on making movies. It could also be like The Simpsons: just 1 movie. Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

Although it hasn't fully been confirmed this is a pony movie with actual ponies in it, I'm hopeful all signs point to that. In that case:

I'm glad for this. The franchise needs this, and hopefully McCarthy and the new writer are up to speed on this and make it a great one.

2017 is a long way off, relatively speaking (3 years from now), the show will likely be in between its 7th and 8th seasons when this movie comes out. If it's the series finale, I'd be fine with that, better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

Where this fits into Hasbro's plan for running the series for 5 more years is unknown, though.

Since there is absolutely minimal information out and the movie is 3 years away, it's too early to begin speculating on what exactly will go down in the movie (in fact, very little about the next season has been confirmed), so this is all I have to say for now. High hopes and high expectations. :squee:

• Brohoof 2

This perfectly describes my feelings on this latest development

For one thing heck yah a theatrical animated ponies movie that isn't limited release! Even more from my favorite show currently on the air.

But another thing is if this isn't animated by DHX and is instead in ugly CGI with celebrity voices this could be really bad and seeing how it is only co-written by Meghan Mccarthy and it is written by the same guy who wrote the last Ice Age Movie which I hear was horrible things could go bad.

But than again if there is a good amount of the crew who worked on the show in this, animated in 2d flash like the show which would be beautiful with an actual hollywood budget, voice actresses the same, and Daniel Ingram being involved and generally fitting the tone of the show and some good writing this could potentially be the best thing the show has created!

I hope for two things to come out of this. One for us to finally understand everything that happened a thousand years ago and what went down there and two for this to be a grand finale to FIM which ends with a bang and has a satisfactory ending and is a love letter to us fans. (I also kinda hope that s5 is last season just so seasonal rot doesn't kick in. 5 seasons, 2 direct to dvd movies and possibly a third and an theatrical released movie would be one heck of an accomplishment if I do say myself.)

But another thing is if this isn't animated by DHX and is instead in ugly CGI with celebrity voices this could be really bad and seeing how it is only co-written by Meghan Mccarthy and it is written by the same guy who wrote the last Ice Age Movie which I hear was horrible things could go bad.
Those kind of movies only really apply to reboot movies of shows that ended 25+ years ago. This is off the currently running show so I can't really see them going that route. 
  • Brohoof 2

I'm so excited to see this and can't wait!!! Nice to hear they're making a movie that will feature the ponies, not that Equestria Girls is bad or anything. Just wanna see more ponies in a feature length film.

• Brohoof 1

Well, looking at the time frame I would say that it looks like a series wrap up to FiM. Enough time to get a couple more seasons in there, and then wrap it all up with a nice bow to end FiM, or atleast the journey of the curent mane 6. It would also make sense in a generational time span, as the youngest of their target audience (2-11 year old girls) who picked up the show at its primer would now be old enough to be on the very edges of their target group. It would be nice to have the series that revialitaized entertainment for young children end on a epic movie.

• Brohoof 3

I can NOT wait for this :D I hope it's at least 2 hours long, and they better show it at more theaters than just select ones. 3 years is too long a wait.

• Brohoof 1

That makes two movie's I'm looking forward to in the distant future (other being the world of warcraft movie)

By then I'll have my own car so you can most likely bet I'm going to see that, considering I'm still interested in MLP (which is likely considering I've been interested in world of warcraft for 7 years)