Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feature Length MLP Movie Announced For 2017!

EquestriaGuy

Even so, I'm hearing that other movies he wrote weren't so good either, not to mention that he doesn't even have a resume. Alot of people are now worried that this movie will have poor writing, which may hurt the film's chance for being a critical success (though it will undoubtedly be a commercial success, but I'd take the critical success over the commercial success any day of the week). The question is whether he has even seen the show and that he is confident that he will deliver a solid script that will appeal to both children and adults alike.

Well the other animated features are the same. He was never in control of story or screenplay. He's basically unproven. I look at it this way - you have a 0% chance of a good movie if you have no movie. I'll take a no name that McCarthy can influence over a strong writing candidate with clout. It was likely never going to be written by a TV writer anyway.

• Brohoof 1

Although it hasn't fully been confirmed this is a pony movie with actual ponies in it, I'm hopeful all signs point to that. In that case:

I'm glad for this. The franchise needs this, and hopefully McCarthy and the new writer are up to speed on this and make it a great one.

2017 is a long way off, relatively speaking (3 years from now), the show will likely be in between its 7th and 8th seasons when this movie comes out. If it's the series finale, I'd be fine with that, better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

Where this fits into Hasbro's plan for running the series for 5 more years is unknown, though.

Since there is absolutely minimal information out and the movie is 3 years away, it's too early to begin speculating on what exactly will go down in the movie (in fact, very little about the next season has been confirmed), so this is all I have to say for now. High hopes and high expectations. :squee:

I am sure they will keep the animation 2d from the show. There's no way they could make it 3d from there.

I am sure they will keep the animation 2d from the show. There's no way they could make it 3d from there.

There was nothing mentioned about the animation style in that post. I'm operating on the assumption that it will be similar Flash to the show but on a higher budget with more custom assets never before seen in the show.

Why does everyone seem to assume that this is planned as the series finale? We already have the at least 5 more years of pony plan from that shareholders meeting a few months back. That would push us into 2019.

Plans can change, but it would seem really weird for Hasbro to have plans to end this on a specific season a few years down the road, especially when it's been such a huge success for them. Milking this for all it is worth seems more likely. This show isn't like Lost where there is an implied point that the show is working towards and can't be left open ended.

Yeah really...what finale? 'Cuz we all know it'll be on for another 100+ years. I'll be dead <<way>> before then...I suppose I'll be ghostin' around and still watching.  :P

There was nothing mentioned about the animation style in that post. I'm operating on the assumption that it will be similar Flash to the show but on a higher budget with more custom assets never before seen in the show.

It would be pretty neat to see "My Little Pony" with more advanced animation techniques, like "The Simpsons Movie."

Oh now I remember my problem with the Ice Age movies. The main story is so uninteresting that the side segments are much more memorable. And the side segments are just a squirrel trying to get an acorn with very predictable gags and feel like they're just there for filler or because the main segments weren't interesting enough to fill a whole movie. In fact, that's all I can remember from these movies. 

I am going to save my speculation, and the concerns I have regarding this movie for another post.  And believe me, I have a rather large number of concerns about this (some of them are small, but some of them are pretty big).

For now I will simply say this.  This might explain why we aren't getting Season 5 until 2015.

Also, this really illustrates just how popular MLP still is, given that we're getting a movie now, after 5 seasons (possibly six, depending on when season 6 airs) of FiM.

Edited by SBaby

Why does everyone seem to assume that this is planned as the series finale? We already have the at least 5 more years of pony plan from that shareholders meeting a few months back. That would push us into 2019.

"5 more years of pony" is different from "5 more years of MLP:FiM"...

I am interested to see how the movie would play out in a few years despite my surprise of the news being out so early but I can't have a solid and official opinion over it until I see it in the flesh.

I'm also hoping that they make everything about it so epic and true to the original TV series and the success and unexpected surprises that made MLP such a huge popularity splash but with the process of a movie unlike the creation of a TV series, we can't be too sure on how it can be executed.

"5 more years of pony" is different from "5 more years of MLP:FiM"...

I always thought that argument was predicated on the concern that they would move to a new gen pretty soon. Considered that won't happen until at least in 2017 ... do you think that Hasbro would have three animation teams working simultaneously on three projects (G4 Seasons 5-7), Movie, and G5 Season 1 before knowing how the gamble of a film would work?

• Brohoof 1

I always thought that argument was predicated on the concern that they would move to a new gen pretty soon. Considered that won't happen until at least in 2017 ... do you think that Hasbro would have three animation teams working simultaneously on three projects (G4 Seasons 5-7), Movie, and G5 Season 1 before knowing how the gamble of a film would work?

Wow, what you said makes a lot of sense! :D

So this movie somehow confirms FiM will still be running after 5 years?

Edited by Blobulle

Wow, what you said makes a lot of sense! :D

So this movie somehow confirms FiM will still be running after 5 years?

It's actually the most likely scenario, yes. However I believe that may also mean we could get few more show seasons and then a full switch to film only (with a non announced sequel).

I'm sure people have mentioned this, but...a widely-distributed feature film means far more than just the existence of a movie. It definitely means more merchandise. It probably means MLP: FiM appearing on all major networks in film trailers. It probably means the # of MLP: FiM references in other media will increase tenfold (already starting). It could mean the actors involved potentially showing up on late-night TV. It could mean cross-marketing in commercials. It could mean Ellen DeGeneres dedicates a show to them. It could mean more than one film. The possibilities go on and on. 

For me, it means my favorite characters from a playing-behind-the-eight-ball cartoon show on a fledgling network are about to become household names. This doesn't happen very often! 

• Brohoof 2

The timing of this movie is interesting, given how radically off course the timetable for seasons is now. It's so insanely difficult to divine their intentions as an outsider. It makes we wonder if they intend on a mid season hiatus at some point.

S5-1 Feb-Apr

S5-2 Aug-Oct

S6-1 Feb-Apr

S6-2 Aug-Oct

S7 13 episodes Feb-Apr

Movie sometime soon after.

• 4 weeks later...