Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Robot and Monster

More_Fluttershy

Well, here we have it. One of the most forgotten cartoons of the decade.

If you're wondering, Robot and Monster is an American CGI animated series created by Dave Pressler, Joshua Sternin and J.R. Ventimilia. Main characters Robot and Monster are voiced by Curtis Armstrong (who also voiced Dan in Dan vs. for a more familiar example) and comedian Harland Williams, respectively. It began production in 2009 and was ordered for a full 26-episode season in 2010, before finally premiering on Nickelodeon on August 4, 2012. The entire series will be released on DVD sometime in 2014.

And, it was, and is, my favorite show of all-time.

Let me explain, soon before airing, SpongeBob was no longer my favorite cartoon, because of an episode called "Demolition Doofus" being the straw that broke the camel's back. And since it really the only thing I watched TV for, I literally had to look for a new show (at the time, I never heard of MLP:FiM). Gravity Falls aired recently, and it was amazing in every way, but I still didn't feel like the void was filled. But then came the advertisements for this show. So, the advertisements were so weak that I couldn't really figure out anything, despite looking a litte like another horrible nicktoon. But I got curious and saw it. And, I figured out that it was it. It filled the void.

If I told you the concept of the show, you'd probably think it's a desperate attempt to gets kids to watch something. "Working at the Blinking Light Factory is basic for Mechanicals and Organics. Robot and Monster make an odd couple, since Robot is serious and Monster is always goofy, but that does not keep them from being best friends. They do everything together, such as testing gadgets out, dreaming of J.D. and Spitfire, taking care of their pet Marf, avoiding the annoying Ogo or their landlord Mr. Wheelie, and eating tons of bacon." Yeah, you'd think "Oh, kids like Robots, and they also like Monsters, so why not make a show where they live together as friends. And make them exact exact opposites as well! And throw in bacon cuz' kids like bacon!" Well, it's not about the concept itself, it's about how they handle it. And they handled it great. It's not like they're being overly generic, they play these things in a comedic yet still all-aged way. The character of Robot isn't just an inventor. We learn plenty about his past and see many other personality traits involved. And it may seem a little harsh, but there's nothing absolutely hyperrealistic and it in a more character-building way. And you'd think Monster is a dumbass. Well, no, there's a difference between being a dumbass and looking at things with a more positive attitude than others. And Marf, he's just a pet. He doesn't talk (except for one episode), and doesn't have any talents, he's just a pet, and we haven't seen that for a long time. As for Ogo, he can e a bit annoying, but he's never on-screen for too long at one time, thus I take it as a quick surprise. I also like that it's basically a snapshot of adult life (it's he full pckage with that), but at the sae time, the two get into situations that kids can get into, allowing anyone to enjoy it. Plus the humor. It's half character driven and 90% slapstick. Of course the slapstick is pretty unlikely to happen in real life, so you don't feel any pain watching it. Another thing is that it just has the SpongeBob ring to it, despite slightly stronger stoies and slightly deeper characters, but in no way copied it. Which is probably why this show filled the void so easily.

As far as my favorite episode goes, check out "Spare Robot" PLEASE. That episode is practically FLAWLESS. IT's available on Nick.com, just make sure to skip over it's partner episode. Every show has it's dud, and it's partner is it. http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/robot-and-monster-113-full-episode.html

My opinion of the show in a nutshell:

the_best_show_ever__by_cartuneslover16-d

Yeah, just check it out sometime. I hope you aren't dissapointed. But yet again, you might, because the few people who remember it seem to either love it or hate it.

I remember seeing a few episodes on Nick when it aired. I didn't enjoy it very much. I'm not really a fan of CGI animated tv shows (except Jimmy Neutron). So I didn't hate Robot and Monster I just didn't care for it.