Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Crystal Tears: why Diamond Tiara should leave the show

Fractured

This is not something you should have to say. In a good show, no character should be extraneous. Friendship is Magic is amazing with their characters, and everyone's personalities and lives have always been so amazingly etched out. 

Which is why i'm so confused every time I come across Diamond Tiara.

From the first episode, it was clear she was supposed to be a one shot character. Like the shop owners in Putting Your Hoof Down, she was supposed to show up, cause trouble, and disappear. Ideally, no one would have cared about her then, because her archetype has already been used in hundreds of other shows But rather than axe her, they decided to keep her as recurring character, continually causing problems for the CMC so they learn valuable lessons by working their way out of trouble.

But by doing that, they made her a full character. Now she has her own life, motivations, and history... or was supposed to, anyway. The writers thought it would be better if she remained as she was, so all the potential was removed from her character, and any time that would've been spent working on it went to the CMC. 

Usually, that isn't a problem, because villains in tv shows usually do exist more so for the heroes than themselves. What makes her different from other villains like Chrysalis or Sombra, however, is that they have something to gain(ultimate power) should they win. In every interaction we've seen between Diamond Tiara and the CMC, she doesn't stand to gain anything from her actions. It's an endless series of lose-lose scenarios, something that requires a character run against common sense and their own nature to make the plot work. There's no "free will" here, just the writers' ideas being directly put into action with no consideration for the character.

And that's why Diamond Tiara should disappear. Because she's little more than an accessory to character growth for the CMC, and it's heartbreaking. Its cruel to keep bringing her up to lose in scenarios she shouldn't even be in, and its awful to keep rewriting her personality to fit the needs of the episode. A character was created for the sole purpose of helping others through their suffering, and I find it tragic.

Of course, I don't want her to leave, but it seems like the best option at the time. I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this idea.

• Brohoof 6

Her character does have something good imo

I didnt like her before, but when I saw that newspaper episode I saw that she could be more than just a bully. She led the newspaper team with strong will to succeed. She did things that were good for the newspaper. She is leader. Just like I imagine her dad to be. I mean Filthy Rich is probably some sort of head of some company.

Diamond Tiara has potential. She is not perfect, but I like her as a character I don't see her as a villain anymore. She is much like Trixie strong outspoking self-confidence but maybe not so strong on the inside. I would like to see more of her devlopment in the show.

I wouldn't like if the writers just give up on her and throw her away.

my-little-pony-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%

• Brohoof 11

Foals are foals, not villains or heroes. Some of them are good and gentle, other arrogant and katankerous. Diamond Tiara is just a pratty arrogant foal of rich stallion. Grows she to villain or hero, that knows writers.

I think that Rarity will not better on her foalhood.

If parents not teach, then live teach.

FANMADE_Diamond_Tiara_Drelelle.jpeg

*LE GASP* I don't think they should just "get rid of her" but I for sure don't like how rude she is to the CMC and especially scootaloo in flight to the finish. As scootaloo being one of my favorite ponies I felt like i would beat her up if i could .3.

• Brohoof 3

That's a bit of an extreme option, but your thoughts aren't unfounded.

Personally, I don't see any reason to really get rid of her as she has potential as previously noted. Of course, IIRC, her 'leadership' ended up pissing a lot of ponies off, but the example is still there. Maybe once the CMC get their cutie marks, it will represent a turning point for Ms. Tiara.

• Brohoof 1

I am not sure where I stand in this conversation. On one side, I completely agree. No such character with no personality belongs in a show well-known for having characters with relatable issues and personalities. But on the other, I want her to stay.

I understand that most bronies hate Diamond Tiara because she only exists to be the bully and cause problems. But, if Hasbro decided to take her character somewhere, I would accept. Since they haven't yet, I kind of made a story myself.

She is a simple filly from a rich family. Her mother is never home and her father is always too busy, which leads Diamond Tiara to be all alone in her house everyday. She has shown that she isn't very good at making friends but she managed to have one friend that sticks beside her, only because she feels sorry for her (Silver Spoon). Since, she doesn't know any better, she bullies others around her 'cause she needs to feel important, just as her parents are. No one close to her ever told her that she was doing things wrong, so keeps on being the way she is.

I think Hasbro would go a long way if they actually made such a story for her. If not, she is going to stay in the show, because... You know... Some bronies would riot if they took her out...
tssmile.gif

• Brohoof 2

Well quick question what do real bullies get out of bullying people.

If you go by what most people tend to say, then it would be self-esteem issues. You'd have to inject a backstory to justify it, which would make the situation worse if they want to keep using her as she currently is.

That's a bit of an extreme option, but your thoughts aren't unfounded.

Personally, I don't see any reason to really get rid of her as she has potential as previously noted. Of course, IIRC, her 'leadership' ended up pissing a lot of ponies off, but the example is still there. Maybe once the CMC get their cutie marks, it will represent a turning point for Ms. Tiara.

I'm weighing the odds of them of them doing so vs the odds of her continuing to be used as a plot element, and there's not a very good chance of it happening right now. You could be right, though; everything could change after the CMC get their cutie marks. I just hope you're right.

• Brohoof 1

I think that Rarity will not better on her foalhood.

I sincerely hope this isn't a comparison between the two, because Rarity has been shown to have very working class parents who speak in a very midwestern accent, live rather slobbishly and eat only burnt food...that and her flashback from "Cutie Mark Chronicles" showed that she's always been willing to do as much as she can for others despite getting nothing in return, a la her going out of her way to design the most amazing costumes for her class pageant...DT isn't anything like that :confused:

In any case, she serves as an accessory but she serves as an accessory quite well, actually. I think she was *written* to be hated, not to get a huge fanbase. She has no place outside of CMC episodes, but yet she does a good job in her role in those episodes, because her role is to be a little bitch. When she stops performing her role well, then kick her, but I see no point in removing a good accessory from the show all willy-nilly.

• Brohoof 5

Well quick question what do real bullies get out of bullying people.

If you go by what most people tend to say, then it would be self-esteem issues. You'd have to inject a backstory to justify it, which would make the situation worse if they want to keep using her as she currently is.

I'm weighing the odds of them of them doing so vs the odds of her continuing to be used as a plot element, and there's not a very good chance of it happening right now. You could be right, though; everything could change after the CMC get their cutie marks. I just hope you're right.

I will tell you a story based on my own experiences being bullied.

Bullies they don't operate alone. I've seen these guys with their friends and without their friends and they are completely different. There needs to be that sidekick. maybe one maybe two maybe a whole gang. There is this one leader who starts it. Other people get more courage to mimic him because they want to be like the leader they want to be tough. They want to belong.

It starts with a simple jokes they find them funny and they might be funny. They go further they want to be more funny and more adored in their group. Sometimes the followers do it only because they want to stay in the group it's their only defence.

I've observed this my whole life I was always target and I still am .

• Brohoof 3

She's a spoiled rich girl who has to tear down others to feel good about herself. She doesn't need a tragic backstory or whatever because it's pretty easy to fill in the blanks as to why she acts the way she does.

• Brohoof 2

You're trying to define her by her specific traits as a character, rather than asking the far more important question: does she do her job as a character? Given that a huge majority of the viewers either love or hate her, I'd say the answer to that is a resounding yes.

I've discussed my feelings on Diamond Tiara many times.  Flight to the Finish sealed the deal that Diamond Tiara is a character that can emotionally invest you in the story. Twilight Time and Pinkie Pride gave subtle clues to about where they can go with the character. I hate that foal such freaking much I can't wait to see her in a story again as a foil for the CMC. Eventually I would hope we see a "Angela Pickles" change in her. I always suspected that it may occur when she crosses a line with Silver Spoon  leaving her alone and friendless.

She is the CMC's Sunset Shimmer. Book it!

• Brohoof 8

I will tell you a story based on my own experiences being bullied.

Bullies they don't operate alone. I've seen these guys with their friends and without their friends and they are completely different. There needs to be that sidekick. maybe one maybe two maybe a whole gang. There is this one leader who starts it. Other people get more courage to mimic him because they want to be like the leader they want to be tough. They want to belong.

It starts with a simple jokes they find them funny and they might be funny. They go further they want to be more funny and more adored in their group. Sometimes the followers do it only because they want to stay in the group it's their only defence.

I've observed this my whole life I was always target and I still am .

Exactly, Diamond Tiara is simply put a bully, the CMC and most of the ponies they interact with in their episodes are just kids who go to a primary school(or in American terms grade school)and deal with problems that kids would deal with. Would you rather have it that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are demons possessed by Tirek, or would you rather have them just be really horrible children who act like(at least most of the time)real children.

• Brohoof 1

I like DT for the most part, shes got potential. Sure shes a brat, but so was Angelica Pickles from Rugrats, and if Trixie and Sunset can be redeemed, why not DT? Because reasons? Because it's 'too late for her'? I say let her stay, because she has great potential.  :maud:

I have seen the future. And the future has the CMC, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and Babs as the next 'Mane 6' in G5.  :maud:

Believe.  :maud:

my-little-pony-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%

Ignore the Cakes, they were not in my future vision spell.  :maud: 

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 4

Exactly, Diamond Tiara is simply put a bully, the CMC and most of the ponies they interact with in their episodes are just kids who go to a primary school(or in American terms grade school)and deal with problems that kids would deal with. Would you rather have it that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are demons possessed by Tirek, or would you rather have them just be really horrible children who act like(at least most of the time)real children.

Bullies aren't horrible children my friend. I don't hate people that bully me. They are nice people. I used to hate but hate leads nowhere so there is no reason to hate. Just because they don't like you doesn't give you the reason not to accept them or put them down.

Bullies are people just like you and me they aren't any worse beings they just don't want to be hurt they want to belong somewhere they want to be part of something. They just do it in other peoples expense. It is not the right way of doing it but it's the only thing that they got.  And if it makes them feel good I can give them that . 

I think people don't understand the bullies correctly. They are treated like they were some cancer  and super evil, but only thing that they want is little comfort and love.

Bullies aren't horrible children my friend. I don't hate people that bully me. They are nice people. I used to hate but hate leads nowhere so there is no reason to hate. Just because they don't like you doesn't give you the reason not to accept them or put them down.

Bullies are people just like you and me they aren't any worse beings they just don't want to be hurt they want to belong somewhere they want to be part of something. They just do it in other peoples expense. It is not the right way of doing it but it's the only thing that they got.  And if it makes them feel good I can give them that . 

I think people don't understand the bullies correctly. They are treated like they were some cancer  and super evil, but only thing that they want is little comfort and love.

No as far as I'm concerned bullies just get a power kick out of what they do, if I went and hugged say Mr.L do you know what he would have done, he would have just punched me in the face. 

• Brohoof 1

No as far as I'm concerned bullies just get a power kick out of what they do, if I went and hugged say Mr.L do you know what he would have done, he would have just punched me in the face. 

Not that kind of love. I meant that they need that adorement and sense of power that they got from their actions. They need to be noticed if no one of their friends wont notice their actions I doubt that they would do it. But I don't know about your case I construct my opinion with my own experiences and because people are different I can't generalize them.

• Brohoof 1

Not that kind of love. I meant that they need that adorement and sense of power that they got from their actions. They need to be noticed if no one of their friends wont notice their actions I doubt that they would do it. But I don't know about your case I construct my opinion with my own experiences and because people are different I can't generalize them.

Well in my case the main bully was pretty much a less extreme version of Eric Cartman.

• Brohoof 2

It looks to me like you're approaching this with an extremely closed mind. You're trying to use technicalities to explain why a character that it sounds like you don't like should be eliminated. What about the fact that she and the CMC go to the same school, hell, the same classroom? I'd be a hell of a lot more confused if we didn't see her again. You're trying to define her by her specific traits as a character, rather than asking the far more important question: does she do her job as a character? Given that a huge majority of the viewers either love or hate her, I'd say the answer to that is a resounding yes.

You think i'm saying this because I don't like her...

@Pinkamena-Pills and @ghostfacekiller39 are already on here, so I want to ask them a question. How would you guys react if your favorite characters were forced into roles that made no sense for the sake of a plot? Lets say Pinkie Pie became a murderer and Rarity became a shallow, slutty mean girl stereotype, and Hasbro had no intent on changing it. Would you accept it, or would you think it better that they left the show?

@Pinkamena-Pills and @ghostfacekiller39 are already on here, so I want to ask them a question. How would you guys react if your favorite characters were forced into roles that made no sense for the sake of a plot? Lets say Pinkie Pie became a murderer and Rarity became a shallow, slutty mean girl stereotype, and Hasbro had no intent on changing it. Would you accept it, or would you think it better that they left the show?

I'd stop watching the show entirely.

The fact they barely even touched up on having Rarity play that stereotype in "Sonic Rainboom" made me infinitely despise that episode. If it became a permanant thing, I'd both hope she left the show and I'd stop following it all together. Nevermore.

What you ask wouldn't even happen, so im abit lost as to why you are even asking such a extreme thing. Not to mention you are trying to get me to compare my moral compass to letting a character go because they are honestly just a young brat(which DT is) "for the sake of the plot", to letting a character go because they have apparently become a "murderer", or a "slutty girl stereotype" "for the sake of the plot", pretty extreme there.  :maud:

Also the difference here is DT has been a brat since she was introduced, and she has not changed to my knowledge(unless there is something in the comics i don't bother with), she is not being 'x for the sake of the plot', because honestly, right now it's who she is.  But she can change, and change so easily in all honesty. :maud:

Im not sure why removing DT would be a good idea, when she can only get better. She's just a spoiled brat, and a child at that, she can easily change.  :maud:  

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

I like Diamond Tiara, she's so over the top in her douchiness, it's kind of like Weevil Underwood from Yugioh. They're complete prick and know it, they exist for no purpose other than to be jerks for no real reason(Weevil doesn't get an excuse until DOMA), but I still like them

Diamond Tiara may not be a main villain, but I find that if you view her as a villain, she becomes far more entertaining in her cruelty and blatant arrogance. 

As for the discussion on why she's like this, I take the simple route and say she's a sadist, pure and simple. No need to attach a backstory to things, plenty of famous characters don't have a good one(Freeza, Joker, and Darkseid come to mind)

What you ask wouldn't even happen, so im abit lost as to why you are even asking such a extreme thing. Not to mention you are trying to get me to compare my moral compass to letting a character go because they are honestly just a young brat(which DT is) "for the sake of the plot", to letting a character go because they have apparently become a "murderer", or a "slutty girl stereotype" "for the sake of the plot", pretty extreme there.   :maud:

Also the difference here is DT has been a brat since she was introduced, and she has not changed to my knowledge(unless there is something in the comics i don't bother with), she is not being 'x for the sake of the plot', because honestly, right now it's who she is.  But she can change, and change so easily in all honesty.  :maud:

Im not sure why removing DT would be a good idea, when she can only get better. She's just a spoiled brat, and a child at that, she can easily change.   :maud:  

And I would be ecstatic if she were to change. Honestly, I would accept if she had more depth, but stayed a bully. I don't want her to be removed, or unrealistically altered, but if the writers are going to keep her, they should make her a character. Right now, she's only an archetype with a lack of self-purpose. Maybe if this was a show like DragonBall Z, where complex personalities aren't necessary, that wouldn't be an issue. But in FIM, where character is the main focus of everything, it stands out too much to ignore. After all of the amazing depth we've seen from pretty much every central character in FIM, telling me Diamond Tiara "just is" seems... wrong. I'm trying to come up with a better word, but i'll settle on that for that now.

It looks to me like you're approaching this with an extremely closed mind. You're trying to use technicalities to explain why a character that it sounds like you don't like should be eliminated. What about the fact that she and the CMC go to the same school, hell, the same classroom? I'd be a hell of a lot more confused if we didn't see her again. You're trying to define her by her specific traits as a character, rather than asking the far more important question: does she do her job as a character? Given that a huge majority of the viewers either love or hate her, I'd say the answer to that is a resounding yes.

When you say "job", you suggest characters should be a means to an end, when in reality, that's how you make a flawed character. characters should be assisted by the plot, but never controlled by it. When you go under that assumption, you get a Mary Sue, and Diamond Tiara is what you get when you turn that concept into a negative idea. It's something I desperately wish to be changed.

And I would be ecstatic if she were to change. Honestly, I would accept if she had more depth, but stayed a bully. I don't want her to be removed, or unrealistically altered, but if the writers are going to keep her, they should make her a character. Right now, she's only an archetype with a lack of self-purpose. Maybe if this was a show like DragonBall Z, where complex personalities aren't necessary, that wouldn't be an issue. But in FIM, where character is the main focus of everything, it stands out too much to ignore. After all of the amazing depth we've seen from pretty much every central character in FIM, telling me Diamond Tiara "just is" seems... wrong. I'm trying to come up with a better word, but i'll settle on that for that now.

Seems to me like you just want her to get some amazing character depth beyond what we see now, yet you aren't willing to wait for it to happen. For all you know we could be getting some depth to DT in S5.   :maud:

• Brohoof 1

Removing her would deprive her of the opportunity to grow as a character. Granted we haven't seen all that much growth as of yet, but i doubt the writers would bring her in as a continuous character without planning to do something with her.