Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you act differently on the internet?

Omega Centauri

I have no idea if I do.

I just kind of act on the Internet and act in real life without really thinking about if I'm acting a certain way.

I guess I need someone else to tell me if I act that much different. I cuss less on this website than I do in real life at least. I also think I have a bigger and more colorful vocabulary online than offline.

• Brohoof 1

I think most, if not all people act at least a little bit differently on the internet. It's easier to think about what you're saying since you have as much time as you like to write a post about something. You can edit and re-edit messages, which you can't do to things you say in real life. Besides this, a lot of people feel more "anonymous" online, since you're basically behind a screen where no one can see you.

As for me, I think I act almost completely different. I'm very shy and somewhat antisocial in real life, since I'm always afraid to make mistakes in front of people. Here on the internet though, I feel much more open and can talk to other people easily.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely. I am very reclusive offline, very anti-social and I have this general fear of other people. Online, that is made a bit easier so I am a bit more outgoing and more talkative. Sadly it seems am a bit reclusive online as well though. I do express myself more online, but that is about the extent of the positives.

• Brohoof 1

I actually make it a point to keep the two in line.

This is eased on one end as I prize sincerity as my personal virtue above all else. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. So everything I type, I would be just as comfortable speaking to the other person's face were I talking to them. It works the other way to. I try not to type something I would not say in person, because that would be insincere.

I guess a minor difference is just that I'm more articulate online. I can think about what I wish to say rather than keeping up with the pace of a conversation.

• Brohoof 1

In real life, I am a talkative and sociable guy—the starter of conversations and teller of dry humor.

On the internet, I sometimes spout opinions and stare at snowflakes.

• Brohoof 1

My behavior over the internet has changed a lot since one year ago, I think now internet me and real me wouldn't have much differences. I'm not really outspoken in both worlds, but at times I can be proactive and start poking at random people in hopes of fishing a social contact. I still lurk around like crazy, though. People have commented that while I never get involved directly, I'm always there listening :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

In real life, when I'm around my friends I mess around and say obscene things in public areas that would likely get me arrested.

Online, when I'm around my friends I mess around and say obscene things in public areas that would likely get me arrested.

No, I'm definitely a whole different person online :derp:

• Brohoof 1

I'm different in some ways. I won't usually initiate a conversation in general, but I'm more articulate, more open about things, and more talkative on the internet than in real life. Not by much, but there is a difference.

Other than that, I show a dry personality.

• Brohoof 1

Im not myself in the sense im a lot more open and expressive than i am offline. But the way im forthcoming as i am allows me to be much more "me" then i would be offline. Here, people know next to nothing about me, im essentially a stranger (beyond what i choose to reveal of myself), and that gives me freedom from certain reprecussions. I can deliver my opinion a lot easier when i have the time to formulate it and find the right words to do so. Im less liable of ending up with a foot in my mouth talking to you guys than to people face-to-face.

• Brohoof 1

I think I act way more friendly and way less clammy online, I'm kind of afraid to get into a skype call with any of my forum friends because I'm so much more filtered on the internet ... which is a really odd thing to say lol

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I find that I'm a much more direct person online than in real life. On boards and games that involve typing, I'm willing to go on debates and thoroughly type out paragraphs of content as a counterargument. Offline, I sort of sum up my opinion in a couple of sentences and tend not to engage in debate unless fueled by the other person (which has almost never happened). This probably has something to do with me being terrible at formulating my thoughts into words correctly on the spot. I'll get it across eventually, but there will be some stuttering and frequent rewording.

Otherwise, my personality is basically the same.

• Brohoof 2