Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv I am starting to think Family Guy is downgrading on it's humor.

DiscordedCelestia

Family guy was on a degragation slide ever since 2007. It is just what happens to social satire sitcoms, you can only do so much before you have to start grasping at relevnace in a ever changing culture, and one that has grown tired of that humoric style.

• Brohoof 5

Do you have an image of this Tweet? I have not seen it.

For me, Family Guy lost it's charm after the first few seasons, when they started switching animation styles and relying a lot more on flashback humor. The first few seasons had their own simplistic charm and the characters felt more relatable. Also the episodes themselves actually felt like real adventures with meaning.

Now, the characters are just obvious stereotypes and the episodes are just constant setups for jokes. Most of the jokes now are painful. I stopped watching the show long ago. It has no real charm anymore to me.

Here's the tweet. You will definatly crindge: https://twitter.com/tbsveryfunny/status/524304702981165057/photo/1

Wow.....Just....You know, jokes about us, I get that. The jokes are always tasteless and uninspired nonsense but I can deal with some if them. However, stuff like that, extreme generalization and trying to make US look like these weird, terrible outcasts of society, I am getting pretty fed up with it.

So yeah, to hell with Family Guy and TBS entirely. These aren't even jokes anymore in my opinion. All this stuff is doing is supporting and fueling the egos of the people that judge us horribly and see us as scum, just for liking something not in the norm, despite it being a wonderful show with great morals and a positive atmosphere. I am tired of this sh*t. There are male kids that get bullied horribly for liking this show. TBS and FG are just supporting that.

• Brohoof 1

I don't watch it as much as I used to but I think it's pretty funny. The humor tips back and forth. And the comedy bits like to repeat itself too much. Also that's why I tell people: Seth MacFarlane is a one-note writer, period. But I don't mind some laughs anyway.  :P

(edited)

I'm going to rephrase my title. Family Guy's humor is no longer anything. I have this theory that Seth is purposfully not putting as much effort into FG as his other shows, which are really good shows. He probably decides to go for the never classic "Steriotypes are funny" cliche. Look, some are funny, if done right. Take for instance Kyle's dad from South Park. He's a jewish lawyer, who does follow some steriotypical jewish things like enjoying money, but he does it right. Hell, almost all people in that show that are of a different race or religion (not counting Asians, gay people, fat people, and anti-cigarette companies) are almost completely steriotype free.

Edited by DiscordedChild
  • Brohoof 2

: This topic belongs in media discussion, so I've moved it there.

One bad joke isn't gonna make me stop watching a show.  If that were the case, no one would ever watch comedies, they've all got those jokes that make you cringe cause they fell flat.

The Tweet did exactly what it was supposed to.  We're all talking about Family Guy now, which was the point.  In a few months, you'll forget that tweet ever happened, and move on.

That’s an amusing tweet in my opinion:

Although personally I’ve never really liked Family Guy apart from The Simpsons guy episode. Some of it is just random, silly lazy crap in my opinion.

Anyway the best Seth Mcfarlane creation I’ve seen was probably that Ted movie, I enjoyed that quite a lot more than any of his cartoons.

Family Guy is mostly unfunny and increasingly cruel in the hopes to get shock humour only minus the humour. I've watched all seasons, and American Dad, even some of ugh..the Cleveland show. South Park is awful nowadays as well. Basically both shows are edgy try hards made by old fucks who have no idea of reality due to massive success and no point of reference to the real World now. My 2 bits.

• Brohoof 1

Family Guy has been downgrading since 2005 when they decided that forcing liberal propaganda (against propaganda for any political party) and having tasteless jokes were funny, along with terrible messages like it's OK to stay in an abusive relationship for the abuser's benefit or that God doesn't exist because Meg isn't physically attractive.

I thought Family Guy was downgrading its humor for quite some time.

I stopped watching it before I graduated high school and looking back, I'm glad I stopped. It just isn't clever with the jokes and the writing, and it gets incredibly lazy at times. I can watch South Park - even some of the newer episodes - because they do it in a way that makes it easy for me to not take it seriously and they usually don't go overboard with being offensive, but Family Guy is something I can't stand.

Family Guy has been going down the shitter ever since its revival. Nowadays the characters have been all been reduced to being unlikeable pricks, most of the jokes relys on pop-culture references, cutaway gags, and pointless celebrity jabs, and it's offensive just for the sake of it

On the subject of Seth MacFarlane, he's a very interesting case. I know he's not a bad writer seeing as at one point, he wrote on shows like Johnny Bravo and actually made some decently funny stuff. That's ironic when the stuff he made aimed at a younger audience is funner than the stuff he makes now that he's known for. Then again, Family Guy was decently funny in the beginning. Maybe just lost his touch. I've heard rumors that he's been trying to get Family Guy canceled since season 7 because he's tired of it. That would make since that he tries to do all this stuff to get controversy and that his other stuff like Ted, at least got decent reception.

Family Guy has been downgrading since 2005 when they decided that forcing liberal propaganda (against propaganda for any political party) and having tasteless jokes were funny, along with terrible messages like it's OK to stay in an abusive relationship for the abuser's benefit or that God doesn't exist because Meg isn't physically attractive.

Family Guy like South Park has no political or social alignment, quite the opposite it's deliberately contrary or percieves itself to be such to anything that is happening at the time. It's the cartoon equivalent of SJW clickbait we get in videogame articles these days. No real content just drama and controversy, the tactic of the weak.

Family Guy like South Park has no political or social alignment, quite the opposite it's deliberately contrary or percieves itself to be such to anything that is happening at the time. It's the cartoon equivalent of SJW clickbait we get in videogame articles these days. No real content just drama and controversy, the tactic of the weak.

Well to be fair, at least South Park can use their social commentary to tell a decent story and pull it off better. Oh, and I forgot to mention Family Guy has too many jokes that feel like they're just there as filler. Can't fill up 22 minutes, here's 3 minutes of Peter fighting a giant chicken or a cutaway to Conway Twitty. 

• Brohoof 3

Family Guy actually goes out of its way to align itself as far to the left as possible. Hell, Brian Griffin has basically become the show's designated mouthpiece for that kind of shit.

And South Park? They sort of tend toward center-right libertarianism. And unlike Family Guy or SJW clickbaits, South Park actually usually has something interesting or even profound to say about the subject it's covering, even when you don't necessarily agree with them..

• Brohoof 1

Family Guy actually goes out of its way to align itself as far to the left as possible. Hell, Brian Griffin has basically become the show's designated mouthpiece for that kind of shit.

And South Park? They sort of tend toward center-right libertarianism. And unlike Family Guy or SJW clickbaits, South Park actually usually has something interesting or even profound to say about the subject it's covering, even when you don't necessarily agree with them..

Maybe once they did but now South Park is very outdated on what they cover.

Well to be fair, at least South Park can use their social commentary to tell a decent story and pull it off better. Oh, and I forgot to mention Family Guy has too many jokes that feel like they're just there as filler. Can't fill up 22 minutes, here's 3 minutes of Peter fighting a giant chicken or a cutaway to Conway Twitty. 

Don't forget Stewie talking in a really highpitched voice for two minutes straight

• Brohoof 1