Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv I am starting to think Family Guy is downgrading on it's humor.

DiscordedCelestia

Eh. I'm hard to offend. I actually didn't mind that tweet when I saw it on EQD. It wasn't funny at all, but I still didn't find it offensive.

The big problem is how it reinforces the stereotype that bronies (and nerds altogether) are fat, lazy idiots; and it directly shoots down at the fandom. Stereotypical humor is lazy humor and is inherently offensive.

Hell, Brian Griffin has basically become the show's designated mouthpiece for that kind of shit.

I don't watch FG, and I know what you're talking about. One big case was where Brian describe every religious person is a bigoted idiot. As a hardcore liberal, Brian's commentary is hypocritical because it's factually more bigoted than the episode (and MacFarlane) apparently believes.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

I don't watch FG, and I know what you're talking about. One big case was where Brian describe every religious person is a bigoted idiot. As a hardcore liberal, Brian's commentary is hypocritical because it's factually more bigoted than the episode (and MacFarlane) apparently believes.
Family Guy, you know you're failing as a show with liberal beliefs when even hardcore liberals don't like your show. It's like Fox News for liberals. 
  • Brohoof 1

Well to be fair, at least South Park can use their social commentary to tell a decent story and pull it off better. Oh, and I forgot to mention Family Guy has too many jokes that feel like they're just there as filler. Can't fill up 22 minutes, here's 3 minutes of Peter fighting a giant chicken or a cutaway to Conway Twitty. 

My reaction to the chicken-fights:

My reaction to the Conway Twitty... stuff:

The big problem is how it reinforces the stereotype that bronies (and nerds altogether) are fat, lazy idiots; and it directly shoots down at the fandom. Stereotypical humor is lazy humor and is inherently offensive.

Oh, it's certainly lazy. And like I said, that tweet wasn't funny in the least. But I'm still not going to get offended over a dumb joke.

South Park is more innovative than Family Guy any day, even when the show was "good".

I know what you mean, but I'm talking about the tweet. The tweet that lost many, many viewers of the show.

what tweet? please don't reference something like that, without quoting it or showing us screen cap of it. 

not all of us here use twitter, (I do, but that's not the point) and as for the ones who do use twitter, that doesn't mean that they've seen the tweet in question. :confused:

also, how has the humor changed? it seems pretty normal, perhaps your taste in comedy has simply changed? :squee:

what tweet? please don't reference something like that, without quoting it or showing us screen cap of it. 

not all of us here use twitter, (I do, but that's not the point) and as for the ones who do use twitter, that doesn't mean that they've seen the tweet in question. :confused:

also, how has the humor changed? it seems pretty normal, perhaps your taste in comedy has simply changed? :squee:

First off, go back to the first page, a link is there.

Second off, they legitimtly changed there humor. Look at season 7 on.

Now, here's another thing, Family Guy's humor didn't extremely change untill season 10, otherwise known as the season with that... episode. I mean, season nine was an "eh" season for me. It did have, however, an amazing muder mystery story.

...and since when has Family Guy ever been funny?

Well, okay. Opinions and stuff. But still... I find this neither offensive nor funny. It's just stupid. HURR DURR! I'M A GROWN MAN WEARING A PONY COSTUME. DURRRRRRR!

And okay, I'll admit it. I'm a little irritated because we didn't get a new South Park episode this week.

Edited by Regulus

You've probably seen that Tweet, despised it, and switched to American Dad already.

Let me get this out of the way first: I don't really like Family Guy. I think it contradicts itself too much, I'm not a big fan of how almost all of it's jokes are cutaway gags, and I feel like it tries too hard to be "offensive", therefore it ends up missing the whole point of pushing the envelope, or even not having any point at all. That being said, I certainly wouldn't hate anyone for liking Family Guy. I understand that people have different senses of humour.

But all it took to make you "notice Family Guy's drop in quality" was a little joke about Bronies? Seriously? Are you really that insecure about what people say about Bronies? Or in this case, just joking about Bronies?

joke
jōk
noun

1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

Sure the tweet may not have been that funny, but that doesn't mean it should be taken seriously. Even if it somehow was meant to be taken seriously, who cares? It's things like this that make me wonder if the anti-bronies were right all along.

And please don't speak for me by claiming I despised the tweet.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

Let me get this out of the way first: I don't really like Family Guy. I think it contradicts itself too much, I'm not a big fan of how almost all of it's jokes are cutaway gags, and I feel like it tries too hard to be "offensive", therefore it ends up missing the whole point of pushing the envelope, or even not having any point at all. That being said, I certainly wouldn't hate anyone for liking Family Guy. I understand that people have different senses of humour.

But all it took to make you "notice Family Guy's drop in quality" was a little joke about Bronies? Seriously? Are you really that insecure about what people say about Bronies? Or in this case, just joking about Bronies?

joke
jōk
noun

1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

Sure the tweet may not have been that funny, but that doesn't mean it should be taken seriously. Even if it somehow was meant to be taken seriously, who cares? It's things like this that make me wonder if the anti-bronies were right all along.

And please don't speak for me by claiming I despised the tweet.

Well, I actually changed the title of it to Family Guy's humor is no longer anything. And, yes, the tweet did "help" with that, but it's just not that funny anymore regardless.

@@SpaceOnion, Why shouldn't people take offense to that that joke? Why shouldn't it be taken seriously? Seth MacFarlane mocked the fandom at its expense by throwing around the egregious nerd stereotype of bronies equaling fat and lazy people who do nothing except worship the show and want to be like them. Family Guy throws around lazy humor to appeal to the LCD, and that hurts entertainment. This tweet falls under that category.

Unfortunate implications exist. This sorry excuse of a "joke" contains huge implications because it enforces stereotypes of bronies, making it inherently offensive. People should speak out against it to know delivering low blows shouldn't be tolerated.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I sometimes watch Family Guy still but, I'm not as big a fan of it like I was back when I was 12 and 13. I feel like the show does need to end.

Edited by CrazyMrLunaDash
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't been able to watch it since that one episode of South Park where Cartman explained why the show isn't funny and then later it turned out the show was written by manatees.

It made too much sense, now I can't not see that it's just pop culture references crammed together with no ryhme or reason.

• Brohoof 1

I've always been real 50/50 with Family Guy.  About half of it's pure gold, the other half pure garbage.  It's real hit and miss.  I don't watch it anymore though, except reruns of episodes I like.  "I Dream of Jesus" is probably still my favorite.

And I can't get enough of this:

Here's the tweet. You will definatly crindge: https://twitter.com/tbsveryfunny/status/524304702981165057/photo/1

Oh my gosh! :lol:

That's hilarious! Are they doing an episode?? I hope they do an episode.

...Oh... Uh... I actually still really like Family Guy. The humor isn't as great as like South Park or Archer, but it's still good for a laugh.

• Brohoof 1

I don't find the tweet funny mostly because it is unoriginal, I am not going to call for their heads both because Family Guy is known for shock humor and because drawing attention to it would help them more than hurt them.

I've heard rumors that he's been trying to get Family Guy canceled since season 7 because he's tired of it.

If that is true than it would explain a lot, it seems like he hasn't been trying for the last couple of years. If he really feels that way though he should consider turning over control of the show to someone he trusts. Family Guy isn't a horrible show but the newer episodes are not nearly as good as the older ones, there is the occasional funny joke here and there nowadays but it is hit or miss.

• Brohoof 1

I don't find the tweet funny mostly because it is unoriginal, I am not going to call for their heads both because Family Guy is known for shock humor and because drawing attention to it would help them more than hurt them.

If that is true than it would explain a lot, it seems like he hasn't been trying for the last couple of years. If he really feels that way though he should consider turning over control of the show to someone he trusts. Family Guy isn't a horrible show but the newer episodes are not nearly as good as the older ones, there is the occasional funny joke here and there nowadays but it is hit or miss.

It's also obvious seeing as the fact it's just trying to hard to be shocking and controversial. I heard there was a recent episode called Fresh Heir about Chris getting the heir from Louis's dad and Peter tries to marry him to get it. Yes, they went down that road.

It's also obvious seeing as the fact it's just trying to hard to be shocking and controversial. I heard there was a recent episode called Fresh Heir about Chris getting the heir from Louis's dad and Peter tries to marry him to get it. Yes, they went down that road.

I saw that, that episode gets the prize for the worst of the series. I know Seth McFarlane can do better than this, he released the movie Ted maybe a year or so ago and it was hilarious. 

• Brohoof 1