Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you have preferred if EG was never made?

J.T.

To be honest, although Rainbow Rocks was a great movie, I'm going to have to go a different route and say that this franchise would have been better off without Equestria Girls. Story-wise, its existence complicates the show's established canon, diminishes the role of the world of Equestria which is one of the main draws of the series, and adds little to nothing if it has no bearing on the plot of the show. Not to mention that the dolls themselves are a completely different can of worms.

Basically, this: http://animationanomaly.com/2013/03/26/equestria-girls-breaks-the-law-of-brand-extension/#.VFAK-mnD9pU

I really don't see how having a Human alt. dimension diminishes Equestria. 

I would have preferred if EQG was unburdened with trying to be a Monster High copy pasta, in terms of setting, but what they have done with it is freaking amazing. I'm glad they made this.

I thought the original Equestria Girls was okay, but I was never a fan as much as I was of the show itself. This is coming from someone who's been both a fan and devoted since season two. So, I witnessed the entertaining shitstorm that came about in 2013. I was on the hate train, though once more information surfaced about the film, my opinions began to change.

After seeing the original, like I said, wasn't a real fan, but it wasn't bad. I did like a bit of the stuff minus the forced love story arc (which still makes me cringe a little in the second film). I still considered myself a fan of Friendship is Magic. As far as the whole series went, this wasn't the worst (the worst has to go to Mare Do-Well).

I had sort of ignored EQG after watching unil its sequel surfaced, which I surprisingly felt kind of excited for.

After watching Rainbow Rocks last night, I can finally call myself an actual fan of this spinoff. I'm glad they made this. Perhaps they had a few bumps, but they have pulled it off surprisingly well.

First time I saw the cover

"So gross. I aint gonna watch it"

After I watched it somehow

"nvm love it"

Probably da creator of mlp wants to show the fans how ponies looks like in human mode.

Seeing as I hate the spinoff more than G3 and G3.5 (and I don't mean "hate" through hyperbole; it's REAL hate), absolutely. Like I wrote here, Friendship Is Magic is a gender-neutral, family-friendly product, bringing the franchise back to its gender-neutral roots. Roots founder Bonnie Zacherle conceptualized and Faust and crew built upon.

Equestria Girls?

1. It doesn't respect the gender-neutral roots of FIM and pre-Tales G1. Hell, it doesn't even try. Both the original and Rainbow Rocks attach blatant antifeminist concepts by retaining high-school clichés (clichés not well executed whether any of you like it or not), keeping the characters static, reducing the intelligence of the main characters while writing them as smart, and stereotyping the sterile world. Equestria Girls panders to adolescent girls through concepts that are both trendy and safe.
  2. Again, Equestria Girls is sterile. Part of FIM's lore is the worldbuilding. There is a multitude of elements that shape Equestria as a unique piece of fantasy. Conversely, Equestria Girls is run of the mill. Fantastical properties are forced into the world in a thinly veiled attempt to merge the two, making the whole spinoff disjointed.
  3. Equestria Girls blatantly lies to the people they claim they speak for. If any of you read The Brand Gap, one of the things it critiques is brand extensions that don't relate to the main product. Think of the title: My Little Pony. The second people see that title, they think of equines. Equestria Girls has nothing to do with equines.

Instead of creating a new IP, Hasbro uses the franchise's popularity to attach a needless brand extension in order to compete with Mattel's strongest product, Monster High. Hasbro's riding on FIM's coattails just to sucker people into buying their products. Without the FIM logo slapped on the front, you wouldn't know this was FIM. Equestria Girls doesn't show any inherit integrity to the franchise whatsoever.
  4. Don't get me even started on the sexist toys and character design concepts. The designs objectify adolescent girls by following the Disney model method (the hourglass waist, an overglorification of being pretty). The dolls are stereotypes and look anorexic thanks to their exaggeratedly thin bodies and limbs. Add that to a very terrible build, it's a product no one should endorse.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Yes and no.

I have to admit, I didn't really like the idea of EG when I first heard about it. When I watched it, it was actually good. Don't just a book by it's cover.

I've always loved pony toys. Plushies are good. Those inaccurate figures, sure. But EG dolls are the most ugliest dolls I have ever seen in my whole life.

(This might be off topic but I'd really like to talk about this :P) I was at my mom's friend's house the other day, and my mom's friend's daughter had an EG doll. It was the first time I saw one, and the design was awful. I was already aware that it was Twilight Sparkle, but I didn't say anything. My mom's friend asked me if I knew where the doll came from. I said no because I didn't want my mom to know about EG. Reason? She's just getting used to me watching MLP. After she finds out I've watched a movie with these horrible designs, she'll just automatically think I'm going crazy over dolls.

But yeah, EG is good. The dolls are ugly though.

One thing i like about EqG is that, even though it has stereotypes and clichés, they're used in a different way that makes the actions of the characters more believable. For starters, both Twilight and Sunset Shimmer didn't want to be princesses of the fall formal to be popular, Sunset wanted it to use its magic, and Twilight wanted to protect the world, and Twilight didn't want to be popular just because she was the nerdy girl stereotype who wanted to be accepted, she needed it to get the crown. Rainbow Rocks is not different, they don't take the battle of the bands too seriously because they think that winning would be cool, the Rainbooms and The Dazzlings had much bigger reasons, and the rest of the school were under the sirens spell.

That's why I think that we can't judge the movie saying that it's like most of the teenage movies about High School, cause it isn't.

And yes, the dolls are ugly, my sister has a Rainbow Dash doll and it looks like RD after a long and horrible torture session  :eww:

• Brohoof 2

EG would not annoy nearly as much if they kept the two stories/worlds separate. It would have been better if it was "What if" type story about them being in high school, and to NOT have Twilight to cross a portal and what not. To just have it be a separate setting.This would make the different theme and writing more bearable, and still give Hasbro the chance to sell toys to compete with Bratz dolls. But the fact that they made a point to tie the EG scenario with the MLP FIM storyline really gets me.

Edited by whitetiger187

Yes totally. It's just simply a waste of Hasbro's resources. Granted I'd like to see how Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry would be done in the actual MLP world, but there's plenty of other things that could've been done, like a movie about Daring Do.

If there was no EG movies, then there would have likely been a FIM pony movie with higher quality of animation.

But we might not have Sunny nor the Waifu Thief. Admittedly, the rants against him are funny :lol:

I thought it was really cute, and actually had a good plot and it was executed nicely. I thought I wouldn't like it but at the end I was impressed.

... The merchandise, however, is another story.

Edited by HDAZ

I thought it was really cute, and actually had a good plot and it was executed nicely. I thought I wouldn't like it but at the end I was impressed.

... The merchandise, however, is another story.

Can't believe many people still care so much about the merchandise, the movie and the show are the main course

I honestly don't like the movie that much, but I'm glad it was made. I love Rainbow Rocks, but I think Equestria Girls was badly made. I think it's cool they made it, seeing that My Little Pony is experimenting with their show, and trying new things, instead of relying on so many things at once. I mean, there are things that kind of repeat within the series, but EG and RR are pretty experimental for MLP.