Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sunset Shimmer Was A G3 Pony!

Denim&Venöm

Sunshimmer is speculated to be the inspiration for Sunset, and was a 2004 mail away that was never featured in animation. The similarity is mentioned in the wikia so someone else may have had this thought.

Interesting..

They do look similar. The staff probably redesigned that G3 version and made Sunset Shimmer. So yeah, I guess you could say Sunset Shimmer is based off this pony.

And wow, I've never seen a G3 pony toy before.

post-29311-0-78468500-1414995241.jpg

that face tho

After watching previous gens, I see a lot of things FiM drew inspiration from. This is nothing new. My favorite G3 character Star Catcher reminds me a lot of Princess Celestia, if Celestia had no horn, and was a blatant lesbian. Of course, a lot of names from G3 were switched around when they were reused in FiM. Rainbowdash is feminine, and Rarity is a young tomboy Princess who likes getting dirty? Up is white. Black is east.

• Brohoof 1

After watching previous gens, I see a lot of things FiM drew inspiration from. This is nothing new. My favorite G3 character Star Catcher reminds me a lot of Princess Celestia, if Celestia had no horn, and was a blatant lesbian. Of course, a lot of names from G3 were switched around when they were reused in FiM. Rainbowdash is feminine, and Rarity is a young tomboy Princess who likes getting dirty? Up is white. Black is east.

Yeah I got that vibe from Starcatcher too. But it's cool tho. Closest thing we get to a relationship in G3 is between her & Sky Wishes right?

The RD one is so true, but personally I think of G3 Rarity as ADHD ponified, all over the place w/ no clue, no care, and no bucks given about whats going on around her. She's like a young Pinkie & Dashie combined.

Yeah I got that vibe from Starcatcher too. But it's cool tho. Closest thing we get to a relationship in G3 is between her & Sky Wishes right?

The RD one is so true, but personally I think of G3 Rarity as ADHD ponified, all over the place w/ no clue, no care, and no bucks given about whats going on around her. She's like a young Pinkie & Dashie combined.

Not once have I ever gotten vibe of Celestia from Starcatcher D:<

How dare you even compare the two!

• Brohoof 2

Not once have I ever gotten vibe of Celestia from Starcatcher D:<

How dare you even compare the two!

I will agree that Celestia is a far more fleshed out character. Starcatcher could have easily been a source of inspiration for her, appearance wise. Heck, she does have a bit of a virtuous personality IMHO. I'm of the opinion that FiM is a much more solid series across the board, especially in the character department, but I guess I was subconsciously looking for some familiarity in a series where I would be wasted if I were to take a shot everytime Rainbowdash says "darling". Perhaps I did stretch the comparisons a little, but Starcatcher does remind me a little of Celestia.

@Denim&Venom: I actually do appreciate the lesbianism to some extent. I'm a straight guy, but I'm open to progressive characters in a time when even a character like Derpy was too much for soccer moms. Besides, there are no stallions in G3, so...in the interest of keeping this discussion PG, I'll stop it there. I can't help but wonder what went on behind that waterfall though.

To be honest, G3 Rarity reminds me a little of Sweetiebelle. She has just enough tomboyism in her so as to be most unorthodox to the other unicorns, but she's not totally masculine like G4 Rainbowdash, though in G3 I think every character must have some degree of femininity, due largely to the absence of any males and by extension, masculine culture. She reminds me of girls I knew in the 90s who would go outside and get dirty, but then come back in and watch shows like Sailor Moon. By contrast to a proper princess like Cheerilee, Rarity would stick out like a sore thumb though.

• Brohoof 2

Ok how about this. Sunshimmer is Sunset shimmer's Mom. Plot twist, Nightmare Moon is her father. XD

Not convoluted enough. Quick! Let's come up with some contrived headcanon that incorporates all previous TV series into FiM. Give me enough time, and I could probably do it. I already have a bit of an idea as to how I would approach it. Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 1

^How About Nighmare Moon is Darth Vader. XD

Yes! That way we can shoehorn Star Wars into FiM as well. What else can we cram in? I think our headcanon still makes too much sense.;)