Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Martial artists?

Kel_Grym

Anyone practice any kind of martial arts?

I'm not sure if there is a topic like this already, but i figure I'd go ahead and make this one.

Could be any kind. Karate, Boxing, Wrestling, Krav Maga, whatever.

I practice freestyle nunchaku and bojitsu.

I would hardly qualify myself as battle ready, its mostly exercise for me.

I find it funny that I hit myself less with nunchaku than that broom handle I use.

• Brohoof 1

I am and proud of it! As you could probably guess from my avatar.

My base style was Kenpo Karate, then I practiced German Longsword tradition, then aikido, and Tai Chi very briefly. These days, with lack of an easily reachable school, I'm just trying to stay in practice with the forms I know and try to at least familiarize myself with other styles through reading.

"Battle ready?" Well I certainly don't hope to be in such a situation in the first place, but if pressed, I'd say yes. *knock on wood*

I used to practice tae kwon do but right now I'm just a lazy ass :/

The spirits of the Tae Kwon Do masters are not pleased.

1 million jump squats is your punishment.

I am and proud of it! As you could probably guess from my avatar.

My base style was Kenpo Karate, then I practiced German Longsword tradition, then aikido, and Tai Chi very briefly. These days, with lack of an easily reachable school, I'm just trying to stay in practice with the forms I know and try to at least familiarize myself with other styles through reading.

"Battle ready?" Well I certainly don't hope to be in such a situation in the first place, but if pressed, I'd say yes. *knock on wood*

:P  I figured you might respond.

That's a pretty decent exposure to the arts you got there!

I know how you feel about lack of schools in reach, though. I think there was one in my town, tiny dojo, but I don't know if its still there.

And yes, the best self defense is knowing how to avoid a fight in the first place.

I really really doubt that I'll have nunchucks or a bo staff on the day I do get into one. Nunchucks aren't street legal anyways. :blush:

• Brohoof 2

Let's see, I've studied a variety of Western Martial Arts. Bataireacht and Singlestick, German Longsword, Boxing, etc. But most of my time has been spent translating that into performance forms, so I'd be dead useless in actual combat now. Basically I'm now trained to *not* hit people. ;)

• Brohoof 3

Let's see, I've studied a variety of Western Martial Arts. Bataireacht and Singlestick, German Longsword, Boxing, etc. But most of my time has been spent translating that into performance forms, so I'd be dead useless in actual combat now. Basically I'm now trained to *not* hit people. ;)

Langswert represent!  B)

Cut yourself some slack though. Wrestlers are also trained how not to hurt people with their moves, doesn't mean they can't inflict an array of damage with the gloves off. For you it would be similar, you already know the base styles that the performance is based on. Muscle memory would do the rest in a real fight.

Been meaning to look into Systema , Russian Martial arts. Rather interesting history to go with it as well, some dates back pretty far and some is quite new.

The spirits of the Tae Kwon Do masters are not pleased.

1 million jump squats is your punishment.

:P  I figured you might respond.

That's a pretty decent exposure to the arts you got there!

I know how you feel about lack of schools in reach, though. I think there was one in my town, tiny dojo, but I don't know if its still there.

And yes, the best self defense is knowing how to avoid a fight in the first place.

I really really doubt that I'll have nunchucks or a bo staff on the day I do get into one. Nunchucks aren't street legal anyways. :blush:

Am I really so predictable?  :lol:

I know that feel though, bro. Damn those bureaucrats!  :okiedokielokie: What, like you're anymore dangerous for carrying nunchucks than any other person? One could kill a man with a freakin' walking cane but you don't see those things made illegal.

• Brohoof 1

Ooh. What are those? I don't think I ever heard of Bataireacht before.

They're both stickfighting forms. Bataireacht is the Irish form, and Singlestick is the English form. It boils down to fighting with a walking stick. :) The two styles are quite different from each other, the Irish one being full of snapping motions, firing the stick out from in close, while the English one flows more like smallsword fencing.

• Brohoof 2

@,

See, it's exacting and arbitrary bullshit like that that gets me angry. They think their laws written on tablets and paper will always be their aegis.

Hence why I choose my username to reflect the samurai adage:

"The pen and sword in equal accord." 

Wisdom without strength is impotence, and strength without wisdom is destruction.

• Brohoof 1

Langswert represent!  B)

Cut yourself some slack though. Wrestlers are also trained how not to hurt people with their moves, doesn't mean they can't inflict an array of damage with the gloves off. For you it would be similar, you already know the base styles that the performance is based on. Muscle memory would do the rest in a real fight.

Well, there's also the part that I'm getting arthritic and can't move as well as I used to. I simply don't bounce very well anymore. ;)

Well, there's also the part that I'm getting arthritic and can't move as well as I used to. I simply don't bounce very well anymore. ;)

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Too bad that massive weapon collection is going to go to waste . . .  :ph34r:

(Seriously, condolences.)

Edited by Steel Accord

i actually practise ninjutsu. its not in my state but one of my friends has been practicing that art for ten years and hes a good teacher.

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of the art. Not that I have anything against you, but to my understanding, the shinobi way is very "pragmatic" and involves misdirection. I could be wrong if that's not the case with your particular school though.

"All war is based on deception"

"The objective of the General is to subdue his opponent with as little violence as possible"

-Szu Tzu (paraphrased somewhat)

Ninjitsu sounds very interesting.

Martial arts I'm interested in would be Krav Maga, and 52 Blocks for practical self defense.

For Internal stuff I would go with Tai Chi.

For physical conditioning I would go with Shaolin Kung-Fu (takes a lifetime)

For weapons, Escrima.

• Brohoof 1

"All war is based on deception"

"The objective of the General is to subdue his opponent with as little violence as possible"

-Szu Tzu (paraphrased somewhat)

For weapons, Escrima.

Even General Patton's earliest known incarnation wasn't always right. Plus if humanity defined the ultimate worth of everything upon the altar of war, we would not have this show or much expression of art at all. Even if our practices had their roots in war, they clearly have distanced themselves enough from that root to varying degrees as dependent on discipline.

I know a few escrima techniques that my first teacher taught me. Very intense style.

• Brohoof 1

Practiced some boxing, wrestling and some Koga-Ryu, years ago. I'm way out of practice, but my body seems to remember some of the instinctive principles. Would love to start practicing again, one day, when i'm less occupied.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Even General Patton's earliest known incarnation wasn't always right. Plus if humanity defined the ultimate worth of everything upon the altar of war, we would not have this show or much expression of art at all. Even if our practices had their roots in war, they clearly have distanced themselves enough from that root to varying degrees as dependent on discipline.

I know a few escrima techniques that my first teacher taught me. Very intense style.

I believe Szu Tzu is right as far waging war goes.

Not everything is about war though.

I'm interested in martial arts in part for self defense and the other part, the "art."

Self-defense, Sport, and Internal peace are the main focus's of martial arts. If we are going for practical self defense, I'm actually very partial to Bruce Lee's philosophical take on martial arts.

Lot of people think Jeet Kun Do is a style, but the heart and core of Bruce Lee's martial philosophy is that that there is 'no style'

The problem with 'styles' is they're full of rules. You have to follow them. But real fights don't follow any rules. That being said, what's the point in following rules of a style?

In Karate there is this concept (I just recently learned of it) called Shu Ha Ri.

In Japanese, this concept is known as “Shu-Ha-Ri”.

You must first follow the rules (Shu), then break the rules (Ha), before you have the ability, and necessity, to create the rules (Ri). This is the life cycle of Karate mastery.

-source

Learn the rules, break the rules, recreate the rules. Fill your cup, then empty it.

This goes along a lot with Bruce Lee's philosophy of 'no style' and 'being like water.'

At first glance, it also seems to be the heart of MMA fighting...except the problem with MMA being that its mostly learned for the ring, a place full of 'rules'

MMA was never on Bruce Lee's level.

When it comes to the most pragmatic approach to self defense theory, there is one guy that I really peel my ears open and listen too.

Bae313.

Below is a video he post about why Escrima sucks. (don't worry, he made a following video about why its great)

Guy's an old marine and I thought he was full of crap at first like a lot of people who talk about fighting on youtube, but after listening to him, I had my mind changed. He just made sense.

Not that I would let it stop me from learning Escrima (any self defense knowledge is better than none) and there are merits to learning besides the self defense aspect.

Edited by Minister KelGrym
  • Brohoof 1

@,

Yeah Bruce was certainly a Master if not THE Master for the last century or two. I know "a real fight doesn't have rules" but I personally feel it's important to stress that "no style" is not the same thing as "no technique." Such thinking leads to the notion that a street brawler will always, always beat any given disciple of the arts. (A trope in fiction I find personally infuriating.) One can still be pragmatic when it comes to self defense and still be disciplined. 

Speaking of Shu-Ha-Ri. We were just talking about that in my class. "When writing, you need to learn the rules before you can break them." Which leads back to my personal outlook that my writing ability and martial arts are just two halves of the same whole.

Again, the pen and sword, in equal accord.

I'm not the hugest fan of MMA for the same reason Tenzin didn't really like Pro-Bending in Avatar. I feel it devalues the arts by only showing one half of what they are about. Again, strength without wisdom . . .

At least official federation tournaments usually stress the lineage and history of the arts they host. 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah Bruce was certainly a Master if not THE Master for the last century or two. I know "a real fight doesn't have rules" but I personally feel it's important to stress that "no style" is not the same thing as "no technique." One can still be pragmatic when it comes to self defense and still be disciplined. Such thinking leads to the notion that a street brawler will always, always beat any given disciple of the arts. (A trope in fiction I find personally infuriating.)

I can't say I disagree.

Speaking of Shu-Ha-Ri. We were just talking about that in my class. "When writing, you need to learn the rules before you can break them." Which leads back to my personal outlook that my writing ability and martial arts are just two halves of the same whole.

Seems to be true in a lot of disciplines in life.

I'm not the hugest fan of MMA for the same reason Tenzin didn't really like Pro-Bending in Avatar. I feel it devalues the arts by only showing one half of what they are about. Again, strength without wisdom . . . At least official federation tournaments usually stress the lineage and history of the arts they host.

Never saw that episode of Avatar.

One good thing about MMA, I suppose, is that it gets people interested in some of the arts at the very least.

Though personally, I don't find much entertainment value in watching two dudes play grapple with each other for half an hour between kicks and punches. Same reason I never got into watching boxing, because half the time the boxers are locked in a 'hug'.

On the subject of grappling, however, Krav Maga gets a lot of flack for not being in the MMA a whole lot, but there is a reason for that.

Grappling is important for MMA. Krav Maga stresses practical self defense. It's what Israeli soldiers are taught to take down terrorists. The last thing you want to do in a street fight of any kind is get caught up in a ground fight. Reason being, is you don't know who's gonna jump in at any given moment. You don't want to be on the ground, even if your gaining the upper hand. So naturally, Krav Maga doesn't teach grappling as much as it would teach getting out of grapples and getting back on your feet.

Thus its not featured much in MMA, if at all.

• Brohoof 1

Never saw that episode of Avatar.

One good thing about MMA, I suppose, is that it gets people interested in some of the arts at the very least.

Though personally, I don't find much entertainment value in watching two dudes play grapple with each other for half an hour between kicks and punches. Same reason I never got into watching boxing, because half the time the boxers are locked in a 'hug'.

On the subject of grappling, however, Krav Maga gets a lot of flack for not being in the MMA a whole lot, but there is a reason for that.

Grappling is important for MMA. Krav Maga stresses practical self defense. It's what Israeli soldiers are taught to take down terrorists. The last thing you want to do in a street fight of any kind is get caught up in a ground fight. Reason being, is you don't know who's gonna jump in at any given moment. You don't want to be on the ground, even if your gaining the upper hand. So naturally, Krav Maga doesn't teach grappling as much as it would teach getting out of grapples and getting back on your feet.

Thus its not featured much in MMA, if at all.

It was early in the show, when Korra tried to sell it as being good, "learn by doing" experience and Tenzin eventually came around, even getting angry at the ref for not calling a fowl.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Yeah, that's definitely a saving grace. While a bit more militant than I would be comfortable learning, I admire Krav Maga for both it's purity of purpose as well as being a true modern marial art. (How many martial arts can you name that incorporated assault rifles as one of their key weapon systems?  :P )

It also kind of brings to imagination what will happen in a century or so. Will Krav Maga also go the way of Kung Fu and become more philosophic and spiritual? Certainly it would be interesting if one day the old Rabbi could fulfill the Mr. Miyagi archetype in media.

• Brohoof 1