Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Let's be honest, is FiM a preschool show?

TheMisterManGuy

By intended demographic, no, it's meant for kids (and girls in particular) around the ages of 6-10 years old give or take. Actual demographic, also no, it's mostly teens and adults that watch the show.

If it truly was like that, it'd go something like this...

Twilight: "Tirek, no killing! (Louder kids!) Tirek, no killing!"

Tirek: "..."

Twilight: 'BZZZT' *gets vaporized*

Tirek: "foolish little pony"

No, I agree with colleagues above that MLP is a show for all family. IMHO, who would agree that "Adventure Time" and "Just a Regular Show" are only for kids ? They´re much more violent than MLP ..

Brohoof for everypony !

No, it holds to the same level of maturity as any other cartoon (maybe even more so, considering the significant lack of cynicism and toilet humor present in alot of other cartoons)

Before I actually watched the show that was my notion. Though FIM just seems like any other cartoon just with a higher moral to it. From what I have seen so far there are plenty of instances where FIM couldn't be just for pre schoolers due to certain themes presented in episodes and some minor but clean violence.

Edited by A. Dazven

I'm pretty sure the show wasn't intended to be a preschool show. Unfortunately, here in Canada, the only network that MLP is on is a channel called Treehouse. It's a channel that shows specifically pre-school programs such as Bob the Builder, and Dora the Explorer. No adult in their right mind would watch something in Treehouse for their own amusement. Since season 1 of MLP is the only season with the EI rating, that's the only season that the network shows. On top of that, most of the episodes of MLP that Treehouse shows are heavily censored.

Clearly MLP is not a preschool show, so why isn't it on some other Canadian network like YTV? Littlest Pet Shop managed to be put on there for god's sake.

At least it's on Netflix.

What exactly does treehouse censor in FiM? Do they completley 4kids' it?

Been awhile since I've been around kids that age.  I'll go with "A lot of that stuff is a little too advanced for kids that age, but it is definitely OK for 1st & 2nd graders".

As to too violent.  Are you kidding?!  I'm a baby boomer, I grew up watching the UNCENSCORED Loony Toons, Popeye, Road Runner, Tom & Jerry, etc.  Even the most violent TV cartoons around today are NOTHING compared to that.  You want to get into violent, small bet who had more screen time with somebody trying to murder him.  Jerry or GI Joe? & at least Kobra wasn't trying to eat him.

Completely different issue  Perfect Swarm, nobody ever tells Fluttershy. You've got things living in your hair. That is SO not cool

• Brohoof 1

What exactly does treehouse censor in FiM? Do they completley 4kids' it?

Not exactly. The censorship here is arguably more blatant than 4Kids.

Skip to 3:58.

As much as I'm against censorship, I don't think the best solution is to demand Treehouse to leave it uncensored, and show every season. I think MLP should be on a network that isn't a preschool channel like Treehouse. Although, I guess I shouldn't care since I stream the episodes on Netflix anyway.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

Definitely not at all is MLP a preschool show in the traditional sense. Preschool shows have many more educational elements and adhere much more to the "Strictly Formula" rule than MLP does. MLP has a sense of creative freedom and emotional maturity that you simply could not get if you were aimed at the 2-5.

Not to say that preschoolers can't watch the show. They are included in the main target demo for the show (2-11) along with elementary school-age girls, and by extension the inclusive nature of the show in that anyone can watch and enjoy it.

As much as I'm against censorship, I don't think the best solution is to demand Treehouse to leave it uncensored, and show every season. I think MLP should be on a network that isn't a preschool channel like Treehouse. Although, I guess I shouldn't care since I stream the episodes on Netflix anyway.

Unfortunately, Corus Entertainment didn't make the distinction. Relegating MLP to a preschool-aimed channel is a terrible mistake, even worse is censoring extremely benign content. The show should have aired on YTV instead but unfortunately corporate culture dictates that girls' shows don't belong on a gender-neutral network. :angry:

Edited by NIGHTWIND BOREAS #1

well if I was a preschool teacher, I would totally let the kids watch the show.

if they even have a tv time. I think I would go all Twilight on them and teach them all day long >:D mwahahaha.

and I'd make a point to suggest to the parents that their children watch it because of it's good morals.

so can pre-K kids watch it? yes. 

is it specifically for them? I doubt it.

we've all seen references in the show that only people in an older age group would get.

I would put the viewing age for mlp a little higher than preschool age.

when it comes to the target audience, I'm one of those people who thinks that just because the show is for children, it doesn't make it necessary to dumb it down or make it nothing but smiles and rainbows.

and mlp has been good at not doing that.

it's sad how many people underestimate kids and how much they can handle.

shows like Dora the explorer and... well 90% of the little kid shows tend to just rot brains.

except for peep, that show is cute and epic at the same time.

• Brohoof 1

If it was then that's clearly changing. The show seems to be shifting it's attention to older audiences with more detailed plot lines, older references and more violent fight scenes. All of which I generally approve of.

Obviously anyone from any age group should be able to watch the show and enjoy or at least tolerate some aspect of it, even if they're not a fan or particularly interested in that type of show.

• Brohoof 1

The show should have aired on YTV instead but unfortunately corporate culture dictates that girls' shows don't belong on a gender-neutral network.

That doesn't explain how Littlest Pet Shop is on YTV.

Edited by SpaceOnion

Unfortunately, Corus Entertainment didn't make the distinction. Relegating MLP to a preschool-aimed channel is a terrible mistake, even worse is censoring extremely benign content. The show should have aired on YTV instead but unfortunately corporate culture dictates that girls' shows don't belong on a gender-neutral network. :angry:

The hell?

I thought Canada was supposed to be more progressive than the United States.

...don't they produce this show in Canada?

Seriously, what the hell.

The fact that they feel the need to silence some of the audio in order to make it preschool-friendly, of course this show is not meant for preschoolers exclusively.

• Brohoof 1

I say yes, because it has very good lessons that shows like Spongebob, Strawberry Shortcake, or Tinkerbell can teach.

"Be kind to your friends, because..."

"It not nice to do this, because.."

Etc, etc.

FiM is a family friendly show that is available to anybody. If Faust says so, why not? Why can't it be a preschool show...? It has colorful ponies, lessons, cuteness, fun, teaches morals, what has you.

Do I believe the target audience is for the majority; kids? Of course, I do. That's my feeling and I'm sticking to it. Am I saying its not for people our age? Nope. Why? Family Friendly. :)

Edited by teacup-bunnies23

How is a video showing the various singing styles the voice actors used in countries other than Canada, an example of how Treehouse, a Canadian network, censors the show?

A preschool show would be one that "educates" people about things that are often pretty trivial. Example: Oh no! I lost my gift that someone bought at the dollar store. It also tries to interact with the audience. Did I say interact? I meant ask stupid questions. Like: Tell me where that guy right behind me is. These are all exaggerated, but I'm basically saying that's what the cliched preschool show is when they say it's a "preschool show".

How is a video showing the various singing styles the voice actors used in countries other than Canada, an example of how Treehouse, a Canadian network, censors the show?

Wait till you get to 3:58. They mute out certain words.

I love how everyone keeps bringing up the Tirek fight scene. "MLP is so fucking metal!"

It was one scene in a season finale episode where it's kind of expected that you're going to pull out all the stops. Plus It was pretty tame. Fist of the Northstar it was not.

Meghan McCarthy even said on Twitter that one of the notes she got from Hasbro on her script was "Twilight can not punch Tirek in the face."

• Brohoof 1

As a parent that had two preschool aged daughters at some point in the distant past, I also disagree that FiM should ever be categorized as preschool. I've seen my share of preschool media ... and Pony doesn't fit.

That said, I wouldn't say it's outside of the enjoyment of pre-school age levels.

• Brohoof 1

Meghan McCarthy even said on Twitter that one of the notes she got from Hasbro on her script was "Twilight can not punch Tirek in the face."

And yet Angel could slap Fluttershy in the face in a domestic-abuse-like fashion.

Oh, Hasbro, you!

If nothing else I'd say MLP has too much context to be preschool-specific. The very fact that it can be enjoyed by such a large age group that don't feel like they are being condescended to (too much) speaks volumes of it's entire-family friendly design choices.

• Brohoof 2