Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Let's be honest, is FiM a preschool show?

TheMisterManGuy

How is a video showing the various singing styles the voice actors used in countries other than Canada, an example of how Treehouse, a Canadian network, censors the show?

I said Skip to 3:58, didn't I?

Edit: NVM

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

No. Preschool shows do not have plot or timeline or awesome villains. They are usually educational for people around that age, often to learn to read or count or to say something. Pre school shows are nothing like Friendship is Magic. 

When I was a little kid, I didn't know what element, harmony, generosity, or a lot of the big words used. I still don't know some of the things Rarity says, but that's because some of the things she says isn't even English. 

I don't see it as a preschool show to be honest. 

G1 was not a preschool show either. I think g3.5 is best candidate for preschool. 

No. Preschool shows do not have plot or timeline or awesome villains. They are usually educational for people around that age, often to learn to read or count or to say something. Pre school shows are nothing like Friendship is Magic. 

When I was a little kid, I didn't know what element, harmony, generosity, or a lot of the big words used. I still don't know some of the things Rarity says, but that's because some of the things she says isn't even English. 

I don't see it as a preschool show to be honest. 

G1 was not a preschool show either. I think g3.5 is best candidate for preschool. 

Sometimes Rarity uses terms and phrases common in "Fancy". I've often wondered. Was that just Applejack being "country", or is the French language actually known as "Fancy" in Equestria?

Back on topic. A preschooler would have no idea what was going on in this episode!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I would argue that a school whose demographic is preschoolers would be moore like along the lines of 'Dora the Explorer' and 'Barney the Dinosaur'. Shows like that aim to teach children whilst entertaining them with bright colors and educational music.

While Little Pony: Friendship is Magic gives actual life lessons that, arguably, preschoolers may not understand.

Not exactly. The censorship here is arguably more blatant than 4Kids.

Skip to 3:58.

As much as I'm against censorship, I don't think the best solution is to demand Treehouse to leave it uncensored, and show every season. I think MLP should be on a network that isn't a preschool channel like Treehouse. Although, I guess I shouldn't care since I stream the episodes on Netflix anyway.

So does Treehouse only air the 1st season or the whole show?

I can also say it's definitely not a preschool show. Judging from the show, there have been multiple scenes in the first four seasons where it would definitely not be preschool friendly. For instance, some scenes throughout the series (Discord's appearance in his first two episodes, anyone?) could be nightmare inducing to preschool girls, and some of the scenes may have already been mentioned.

I watch preschool cartoons with my daughter. Dora, Sesame Street, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. The kind of shows that say "Come on, interact with me!" MLP doesn't ask the audience where to find the next clue, so no, it is not a preschool show. That's not to say I won't let my one-year-old watch it. I'd say it's entertaining for all ages. It captures babies' attentions, kids love it, parents don't mind sitting mindlessly through hours on end of MLP.

Honestly, I think MLP: FiM has more in common with the Hunger Games series than a preschool show.  Seriously, you've got Katniss Everdeen knowing she's the one to take down the Capitol, but doubts herself, and you've got Twilight Sparkle, who knows she's a princess, but doubts her role.  Plus, you've got deep characters, such as Princess Luna.  You don't get any character development in preschool shows, and MLP: FiM is full of it.

So, yeah.  MLP: FiM =/= a preschool show

Meghan McCarthy even said on Twitter that one of the notes she got from Hasbro on her script was "Twilight can not punch Tirek in the face."

They would have preferred the balls?

No i don't think so, there are references in a few episodes that preschoolers wouldn't be able to understand and some parts are clearly for an older audience like violence.

Friendship is Magic is a show for everyone and is similar to cartoons like Rugrats, Spongebob etc.

I think you maybe haven't watched many pre-school shows recently. They're not all about singing the alphabet.

• Tree Fu Tom has a target audience of 2 to 6 year olds. It has plots, and villains (the mushas), though I'll leave it to you to judge whether they're awesome villains or not. Most episodes are stand-alone, but some do refer back to earlier episodes, creating something of a timeline. The first couple of seasons had David Tennant too. :-)
  • Topsy and Tim has a slightly older target audience. Probably around 3 or 4 to 6. It's pretty much a soap opera for kids, so it very much has a timeline. The plot line of them deciding to move house, looking around new houses, selling their old house, and packing up their stuff, ran for the whole first season (25 episodes I think?). At the beginning of the season, Tim's best friend's mum is pregnant, and later on in the season she has a baby. There are other multi-episode story arcs too (the cardboard box, the school play, etc). Definite timeline. The first episode of the second season has them moving into their new house, and as the season progresses, deals with Topsy and Tim starting school.
  • Katie Morag probably has a similar target audience to Topsy & Tim, though I hear the next season is going to be aimed at a slightly older audience. It also has a timeline. Her teacher leaves in one episode, and she gets a new teacher a couple of episodes later. Her mum has a baby. Katie's neighbour falls in love with Katie's grandmother, and they get married in a two-part finale.
  • Old Jack's Boat has villains, Kitty Cutlass being the most regular antagonist. The Christmas special even dealt with the implied death of Jack's wife. (Old Jack's Boat is a pretty awesome kids' show for anyone who is a fan of Doctor Who. It stars Bernard Cribbins and Freema Agyeman, and some episodes were written by Russell T Davies, including the aforementioned Christmas special.)

Just looking at the CBeebies TV schedule for this morning, out of 27 shows broadcast this morning between 6am and noon, only four are what would be called "traditionally educational" (i.e. reading, writing, and arithmetic). Which is not to say that the other 23 will not teach children anything - many of them do - but it's things like not to be afraid of thunder and lightning, or not to be upset when you drop your favourite book in the bath and it gets ruined.

Men don't watch preschool shows.

Speak for yourself. I do. Plenty of dads do. Some of the ones I mentioned above are actually rather good.

There are less preschoolers than grown adults who watch the show.

Preschool fans are (unsurprisingly) not very active on this forum.

Yet there are a lot of them.

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 2

A preschool show, well simply put that's not the case, if it was we would see something like G3.5 again, the show could be watched by preschoolers but I doubt they would understand it much, they would probably just see bright colours and nothing else.

For ages 2-11?!  What mental defective came up with that?  You think 2 year olds like the same stuff as 11 year olds, try them both on an episode of Barney.  I think MLP is pretty much the frozen outer limit for preschoolers, though.  However, I would let the child in question decide & not try to make a "1 size fits all" ruling.

I remember, when I was in 4th grade I read Moby Dick (if I remember right, I liked Dolphins & it seemed to be about whales, so...).  I liked it, but when the librarian caught me sneaking books out of the adult section, she had a hissy fit, I damn near got banned from the library, my mom had to go down & straighten things out.  (In high school, they made us read Moby Dick & to my horror they chopped out all the interesting bits about the whaling industry & left only the boring philosophy crap)

But the point is "How about letting the kid decide?"

For ages 2-11?!  What mental defective came up with that?  You think 2 year olds like the same stuff as 11 year olds, try them both on an episode of Barney.  I think MLP is pretty much the frozen outer limit for preschoolers, though.  However, I would let the child in question decide & not try to make a "1 size fits all" ruling.

Much like how the 9-14 tween demographic essentially represents a crossover appeal with older children and younger teens, the 2-11 demo represents cross-over appeal between preschoolers and elementary school-age children. Barney is strictly 2-5, FiM is 2-11. Besides, these are official demographics used by television network for Neilson ratings reports

I know a 4 year old that watches MLP..

But it's not like she knows what's going on. Heck, she referred to the CMC as "the little ponies".

MLP doesn't talk to the audience or point out the obvious *cough* Dora *cough*. We all know this show was intended for a young audience, but I think of MLP as entertainment instead of education (except that random animal fact in Winter Wrap Up).

Men don't watch preschool shows.

Like, really. They need to bump up the rating a bit.

Exactly. I was surprised to see that it was rated TV-Y. Come on, it should be at least TV-Y7.

For ages 2-11?!  What mental defective came up with that?

Certainly there is stuff that is popular with 2 year olds that 11 year olds wouldn't like. And vice versa. But there's also plenty of stuff that is equally popular with 2 year olds and 11 year olds. Chocolate is an obvious example.

It makes perfect sense to talk about a show appealing to 2-11 year olds.

My son, who turned 4 a couple of weeks ago, likes My Little Pony. My niece, who is 3, does too. So does my 5 year old daughter. And so do I, and I'm 34.

(Incidentally I was talking to my son about Hello Kitty this evening and he said he doesn't like it because it's for girls. I asked if he thought My Little Pony was for girls, or for boys, and he said "it's for boys and girls".)

Edited by Vital Spark

No, it's not. It's been said countless times before that FiM is not anything like that. Barney, or Teletubbies would be pre-school shows.

I don't think of MLP: FiM as a preschool show, or a kids show in general. It was made for Kids who watch the show with their parents, look it up. It's not a huge surprise that some adults would be fascinated by the show, I mean look at the awesome lessons you can learn from watching. These are life lessons, ones you can learn about at any age. ^^