Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Opinion - Rainbow Dash or Applejack?

total stranger

Dashie. I'm a humble person, but for some reason, arrogant characters seem to intrigue me. One thing that some people tend to forget is how Rainbow is growing more and more and isn't the silly, egotistical character she was in Season 1. Well, her arrogance was played a little too much in Season 4, but when you compare episodes like Wonderbolts Academy or Flight to the Finish to, say, Sonic Rainboom, it really shows that Rainbow has started to show a nurturing side and is wanting to help others in need.

Wonderbolts Academy is one of my favourite episodes of the series. While I was disappointed with the abrupt and ambiguous ending, it shows that Rainbow is disgusted by the dodgy training sessions with the Wonderbolts instead of happy. If this was a Season 1 episode, Rainbow's ego would get in the way and would be kicked out, just like Lightning Dust. The way how the show portrays Rainbow's character development that it almost makes me feel proud for her. Instead of staying, she decided to quit and move on to pursue her own personal goals.

AJ's cool too, but I honestly don't relate to her all that much... besides her stubbornness. :P

• Brohoof 9

I'd prefer Rainbow Dash simply because she's more interesting. Applejack is just some country hillbilly.

(come at me bruz)

Edited by Flitter
  • Brohoof 1

I do like AJ more, but I think you're really selling Dash short if you only focus on her ego. She has a lot more to her than just being a bit of a show-off. She's developed a heck of a lot over the course of the series. She could barely stand Fluttershy in Season 1, but in the later seasons, she really does treat her as kindly as she can.

PS People put RD as their avatar because they like her, it's not as if they only like her because they have a Rainbow Dash avatar...

PPS: Rarity is best pony anyhow... :D

• Brohoof 8

Rainbow Dash.

Don't get me wrong, I like applejack, but Dashie episodes are more interesting to me. I think Rainbow is so super duper cute and adorable. I literally giggle like a school girl at most of her episodes.

Plus I have a teeny bit of a cartoon crush on her so she wins the battle for me.

• Brohoof 3

one more reason why i pref AJ over RD,,,everybody loves RD more,,AJ is unique,,for me its better to love a pony that is unique

It's cool that you like AJ, nothin wrong happenin with that.

But I think if you focused on RD a little and actually thought her character over you wouldn't hate her. She thrives on being praised because she's so confident in her abilities. She thinks and knows she's the best, it's her short coming. However, there are times when it's shown that she isn't so confident in herself. For example, in Sonic Rainboom, she was literally freaking out the entire time at the competition. Also, in Testing Testing 1,2,3, she brought herself down constantly by basically calling herself too stupid to learn. Even the most confident people hit points where they doubt their own abilities. Rainbow Dash is no different. It's what makes her believable.

Dashie may/may not be lesbian. Hell any of the mane six could like fillies. (Maybe not Rarity...she definitely likes stallions...) but anywho, the whole dash is lezbo thing makes little to no sense. Yes, she has rainbows, but rainbows does not automatically equal lesbian status. Being a tomboy does not equal lesbian. I'm a tomboy and I like guys so there's that. But again they don't address sexuality in the show so it may or may not be true. But insinuating something based off of no valid points makes no absolute sense. (if you were joking about the Dashie lezbo thing then disregard this whole Dash filly fooler rant)

I like AJ too, but her episodes tend to bore me a little more than they should. I don't typically rewatch any of her episodes. Although if it's anything like Bats I'll rewatch it. I think I like her more when it's an episode of hers that's balanced with another mane six like Bats. However when it's just her and her family it's hard for me to pay attention. I feel like maybe she needs a little more screen time so the writers can develop her a little more. She's a solid character, but I feel as if Dash has gotten more dimension than AJ.

• Brohoof 3

dont get me wrong,,but i actually dont care if someone says someting bad about AJ,,and no I wont focus anymore on RD cuz i hate her,,for me she isnt something special

thinking that u are best at everything,,how can she even have friends then? tell me that

Dashie may/may not be lesbian. Hell any of the mane six could like fillies. (Maybe not Rarity...she definitely likes stallions...)

Liking stallions does not rule out liking fillies too.

• Brohoof 3

If I háve to choose..

It has to be Rainbow Dash..

It's not that Applejack is really bad!

It's just that Rainbow Dash became more ''mature'' in some episodes, yes, she's still silly and a bit dumb, but if you look at all episodes that were about her, you can really see some difference, and her Loyalty also became a lot better I think.

But yeah, my downside is her ego sometimes..

AJ is amazing too, but she can be a bit boring sometimes.. Sorry..

• Brohoof 2

thinking that u are best at everything,,how can she even have friends then? tell me that

Because no single aspect of a character defines them entirely. Sure, she has a high opinion of herself, but there's much more to her than just that. Her friends see past the brash, boastful exterior to the friend who is loyal, can show weakness and be vulnerable, but is also genuinely skilled enough to justify her belief in her own abilities, even when she takes it too far.

That's like asking of Applejack: "being so stubborn, how can she even have friends then?"

Same for every one of the Mane Six. You have to be willing to look past the flaws and find the good parts. And sadly, you haven't yet shown that you're willing to make that effort for RD.

• Brohoof 9

u think that AJ is immature? are you serious?

Aj is 10 times more mature than RD...

I don't think that's what the poster meant. He/She meant that Rainbow has become more mature over the course of the show, that she has developed into a more mature pony from where she started.

Nothing was said about Rainbow being more mature than AJ.

• Brohoof 2

Same for every one of the Mane Six. You have to be willing to look past the flaws and find the good parts.

Nuh-uh! Twilight has no flaws!

Or if she does, they're so minor that you have to look past the good parts to find the flaws.

• Brohoof 1

Nuh-uh! Twilight has no flaws!

Or if she does, they're so minor that you have to look past the good parts to find the flaws.

Oh, yeah, it's not like her need to keep up with her (self-assigned) deadlines has ever caused a riot in Ponyville... oh, wait... :P

I repeat, they all have flaws. But this isn't a Twilight discussion thread, so let's keep the focus on RD and AJ.

• Brohoof 3

Both are great characters. Applejack is amazing because she is the most mature and well-developed of all these characters. She is honest, grounded, and knows her limits in contrast to Rainbow Dash's bombastic personality.

However, I would have to prefer Rainbow Dash as there is just that much more to her character. Despite her tendency to display a high opinion of herself, she has been shown to make the right decisions in a tough situation and to support her friends whenever it comes down to that. Her aspiration of joining the Wonderbolts is such a relatable thread that many of us can't help but root for her, and we see that she's well on her way to doing that.

Overall, I like Rainbow Dash because there really is more to her character and there's so much more development potential here than with Applejack. For the best portrayals of Rainbow Dash as a character, check out "Wonderbolts Academy" and "Hurricane Fluttershy".

• Brohoof 7

Personally, I prefer Rainbow Dash. Heck, I liked her before I even began to watch the show! I just find her personality and episodes to be more enjoyable and interesting. Not to mention she has some awesome character development.

Applejack is just... there.

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

I had to hide some posts that add little value to a comparative analysis that discusses contrast between AJ and RD. As I have always viewed FiM as a Rorschach show, you can take from it what you put into it. The characters of Applejack and Rainbow Dash are complex and varied enough that you can approach each character from several angles. At the same time, there are shared traits between AJ and RD that have been the focus of one episode, and featured in several scenes throughout the run of the show.

I love both of these characters ... not in spite of their flaws ... but because of their flaws. Complexity and great character driven stories thrive off of internal/external conflict. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

B)  =  :smug: 

• Brohoof 5