Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which Chemical Element defines you?

Lemon Slices

Seriously, I am a great Chemistry lover.

Personally, Argon defines me. Few eletrons, no eletronegativity, noble gas (Means that I rarely make friends on real life, like noble gases rarely make links with other elements)

And in your opinion, which defines you? It certainly won't be a hot topic, but still.

• Brohoof 3

By 'Smart Talk' are you implying only smart people can post in this thread? And that stupid people aren't allowed?

lmao

Anyway, Fluorine. 

• Brohoof 1

Carbon.  I am needed to create life.  Too much of me can be cancerous.  I am everything organic.  I'm the main component in all the smelly goods.  I'm pretty great.

• Brohoof 2

Bismuth

Because it produces these marvelous labyrinth-like crystals naturally:

a9-128c.jpg

They show beautiful order, and I love order.

They seem like gold mixed with rainbow, which looks very cool. I like when my life is rich as gold and colorful as rainbow.

They look like labyrinths which remind me how my mind wanders through complex mazes to find the ultimate truth about how everything works.

They were used by the Alchemists in their transmutation of heavy metals into gold. There are rumors that they called it "seed bismuth", they represented it by a symbol of Hermes in their secret writings, and there's a reason for that: it differs from gold by exactly two alpha particles, which means that it is a better material for transmutation into gold than lead (3 protons off, which is not a multiple of an alpha particle) or mercury (1 proton off, also not a multiple of an alpha particle). (That's perhaps why transmutation of mercury or lead into gold has never given any stable product which won't be radioactive.) So it reflects my interests in forgotten ancient secret knowledge and transmuting elements into more noble ones.

Plus, it's atomic number is a prime number ;) and prime numbers are unique and unpredictable, which I also tend to be like.

Prime_approves.jpg

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 6

Majic ;)

But seriously: Well, use the Alchemical dictum from the Emerald Table and you should understand:

"As above, so below. As is the greater, such is the smaller. As is the inside, such is the outside."

The physical rectangular shape in the larger scale reflects the geometry of the atomic structure of this metal's crystalline grid, and the grid, in turn, reflects the geometry of each of its atoms (that is, electron orbitals around the nucleus). It has a right-angle geometry, so is the overall crystal.

The question (and its answer) applies as well to other crystals which have very geometrical shapes, too (though not necessarily rectangular).

Edit: What's with that editor? Why does it break my posts by converting them to escaped HTML? ;/

Edited by SasQ

By 'Smart Talk' are you implying only smart people can post in this thread? And that stupid people aren't allowed?

lmao

Anyway, Fluorine. 

I called [smart Talk] to attract people. This topic just could be just ignored by everyone.

Bismuth

Because it produces these marvelous labyrinth-like crystals naturally:

img-3262962-1-a9-128c.jpg

They show beautiful order, and I love order.

They seem like gold mixed with rainbow, which looks very cool. I like when my life is rich as gold and colorful as rainbow.

They look like labyrinths which remind me how my mind wanders through complex mazes to find the ultimate truth about how everything works.

They were used by the Alchemists in their transmutation of heavy metals into gold. There are rumors that they called it "seed bismuth", they represented it by a symbol of Hermes in their secret writings, and there's a reason for that: it differs from gold by exactly two alpha particles, which means that it is a better material for transmutation into gold than lead (3 protons off, which is not a multiple of an alpha particle) or mercury (1 proton off, also not a multiple of an alpha particle). (That's perhaps why transmutation of mercury or lead into gold has never given any stable product which won't be radioactive.) So it reflects my interests in forgotten ancient secret knowledge and transmuting elements into more noble ones.

Plus, it's atomic number is a prime number ;) and prime numbers are unique and unpredictable, which I also tend to be like.

img-3262962-2-Prime_approves.jpg

Great answer. I can call the best answer. In fact, bismuth are beautiful, and have many characteristics that define good people. Thanks.

RaveLow, on 17 Nov 2014 - 6:26 PM, said:

Hydrogen, the most potent element in the universe

It depends on what you mean by "potent".

Hydrogen atoms have just one electron, so they can either give it off (but they don't like it, because it makes them energetically less stable), or take another electron from some other atom (which also makes them energetically unstable), so their best choice is to share electrons with some other atom and make a covalent bond. But then, it can make just a single bond and no more. So hydrogen is actually the least potent when speaking about the possibility for forming chemical bonds. Other atoms can make much more bonds. Carbon is especially useful in that, because it can make as much as four such bonds, and it has the most potential for creating different geometrical structures in chemical molecules. That's why Nature uses carbon as its primary structural material. Carbon chains make skeletons of many biological molecules.

Hydrogen is also the least electronegative element, which means that it can easily give off his sole electron. It doesn't require much energy to do it (just 13 eV). That's why hydrogen is useful for creating so called hydrogen bonds between two molecules. Such bonds are weak, so they can be easily formed and broken, which is a useful property for biological molecules, because it allows them to change shape and catalyse enzymatic reactions.

It can also be very explosive when mixed with an element which has very strong electronegativity, such as oxygen or sulfur. This makes it a potent fuel, if you wish, but only when paired with certain other elements. It is not so much "potent" when alone.

It is also the simplest and lightest element, so if you count nuclear fusion reactions, too, it can be really "potent", because hydrogen atoms can be fused together to make every other element. That's what stars do inside their cores.

• Brohoof 2

It depends on what you mean by "potent".

Hydrogen atoms have just one electron, so they can either give it off (but they don't like it, because it makes them energetically less stable), or take another electron from some other atom (which also makes them energetically unstable), so their best choice is to share electrons with some other atom and make a covalent bond. But then, it can make just a single bond and no more. So hydrogen is actually the least potent when speaking about the possibility for forming chemical bonds. Other atoms can make much more bonds. Carbon is especially useful in that, because it can make as much as four such bonds, and it has the most potential for creating different geometrical structures in chemical molecules. That's why Nature uses carbon as its primary structural material. Carbon chains make skeletons of many biological molecules.

Hydrogen is also the least electronegative element, which means that it can easily give off his sole electron. It doesn't require much energy to do it (just 13 eV). That's why hydrogen is useful for creating so called hydrogen bonds between two molecules. Such bonds are weak, so they can be easily formed and broken, which is a useful property for biological molecules, because it allows them to change shape and catalyse enzymatic reactions.

It can also be very explosive when mixed with an element which has very strong electronegativity, such as oxygen or sulfur. This makes it a potent fuel, if you wish, but only when paired with certain other elements. It is not so much "potent" when alone.

It is also the simplest and lightest element, so if you count nuclear fusion reactions, too, it can be really "potent", because hydrogen atoms can be fused together to make every other element. That's what stars do inside their cores.

Nooo, wait...what I meant was ABUNDANT. The most abundant element. Lol, I mixed this up  :lol:

Edited by RaveLow