Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Watching equestria girls without knowing anything about the show?

jaime_lion

So my apartment building has a movie night every Tuesday and Thursday. More for laughs and giggles I am thinking about submitting the first equestria girls movie to be watched. I am wondering do you guys think it can be watched without haveing to explain anything to the other people that will be watching it? the people know nothing about the whole pony thing. The other people will be in there 60's and such.

Thanks

@@jaime_lion, as this topic is concerned with the Equestria Girls franchise, it has been moved to the 'Equestria Girls' section of the forum. 

Regarding your question, from what I recall, the movie has a brief introduction to remind the viewers of the events of 'Magical Mystery Cure'. I think that might suffice for an explanation, my sister watched the movie without previously watching the show and she enjoyed it. I didn't have to explain anything either as far as I remember. Seeing as they are not familiar at all, you might want a brief summary of the whole Friendship is Magic concept and the Elements of Harmony perhaps?

I don't think it would be too hard to understand what's happening, but I'm not sure if it could really be appreciated that much if you aren't familiar with the characters.

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, there is too much things in EqG that are based on the previous knowledge of FiM up to season 3's finale that it might be confusing to watch it before knowing anything about FiM, its characters, their personalities, the Elements of Harmony, how do they work, how are their spirits being represented by the Mane Six etc.

Even more is required for Rainbow Rocks. I doubt I would show it to my sister before she watch the whole season 4.

Not to mention that both EqG movies contain major spoilers for the FiM series.

Edited by SasQ

I think it would be understandable without having seen the show, but it also wouldn't be very good. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those EQG ultra-haters, I just think that most of the film's charm comes from seeing characters we already know and love in a different setting. They don't introduce the characters properly in the film, mostly because of time constraints but also because the audience doesn't need to be introduced to the characters, we already know them.

Even Twilight catches on pretty quickly and starts calling characters she hasn't even been formally introduced to yet by name.

If the audience hasn't been properly introduced to the characters, they won't care what's going on.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

So my apartment building has a movie night every Tuesday and Thursday. More for laughs and giggles I am thinking about submitting the first equestria girls movie to be watched. I am wondering do you guys think it can be watched without haveing to explain anything to the other people that will be watching it? the people know nothing about the whole pony thing. The other people will be in there 60's and such.

Thanks

Just want to say, I watched EQG on Netflix before discovering MLP:FiM, I got really addicted to Twilight's wings. ;)

Well, they won't understand everything. "What is the friendship of magic and what elements do they represent? Why did she have to go there?" Those type of questions will pop into their minds.They will have their own concepts and opinions about it... 

Edited by Snivinerior

I "accedentally" watched the movie when i was halfway in season 1 and i understood everything, at the begining i was like "what, twilight has wings? what, PRINCESS twilight? who's this other shorter princess?" but those were just questions i had because i had watched the show already. I think you just need a breif summary on the elements of harmony and maybe the main characters (exuse me: the MANE six) and it should be alright.

• Brohoof 1