Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the worst weather that happens in your area?

~Sugar Sprinkles~

Central Florida, which means thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms, hurricanes, tornados, and then thunderstorms.

Fun fact: Florida is known as the lightning capital of the world... but it's actually second, only to tropical Africa. Florida's west coast has as many lightning strikes as central Africa during the summer, but during the winter, there are very few thunderstorms in Florida.

Edited by Regulus

Back in June 2001, the Gulf coast was struck by Tropical Storm Alison, I was on vacation in New Orleans, and it was flooding everywhere as the storm made landfall, and as we journeyed back home, it was even worse, I have never experienced flooding that large before, and we were driving in that flood trying to get home, we still have pictures of Houston flooded by Alison, it was no doubt the biggest flood I have ever seen. I also experience Hurricane Katrina, but I was in Miami, and the storm was a category one, we were without power for eighteen hours, but the worse Hurricane I experienced, was Hurricane Ike, in September 2008, this was a category two hurricane, and the wind was just intense, trees and limbs just choked the streets, and property we had on Bolivar, was nearly washed away, it barely survived, now we are practically the only beach house left in the area, not to mention Ike washed away most of the beach, we were without power for nine days, but we had a major generator powerful enough to power the house, so I have survived two major Hurricanes in two different states, and one massive rainfall and flood from a tropical storm, I have seen my fair share of wild weather. 

Edited by Emperor Peter

Well, tornadoes like to come freakishly close to where I live, and if a hurricane or any kind of major tropical storm comes through the Gulf (of Mexico, that is,) we might get a fair bit of (read: usually a little too much) rain from it too.

Plus, snow has actually sorta come down here in the past 2-4 years. Not enough to snow you in, but enough to knock the power out.

That's not even the first time that happened in Moore. In general, I can't understand why people live in that area... But you know, I can't understand why people live in this state, period. lol

Don't forget the year where it got down to -30 during the winter and then got up to 118 during the summer (all just one county north of me), breaking both the overall record low and high all in the same year. It also got up to 80 degrees not even one week after after the -30 low, so... This place is insane.

Yeah. Three big ones in the same 15 years. I'm sure that can't be good for property values there. From what I know people stay there because it's all they've known. That's their home. But yes. In my hometown in the summer of 2012 it was 110+ for about 10 consecutive days....miserable.

I live in Silicon Valley, CA, and one might tell you that we don't get bad weather up here.

But they'd be wrong.

They'd be so wrong.

See, since Northern California doesn't get bad weather, Air Conditioning isn't as common a thing here in the Bay Area. Which means, during the summer, it can get stupid hot during the day and-this is the important part-STAY that way at night.

I've had nights the last three summers running where it's been in the 90's through 10 at night and beyond. This makes trying to sleep hard as all getout. And when you have little kids who can't sleep as well, it's 10 times worse.

Give me winter or, ideally, fall year round. I'll be happy.

We get quite a variety of weather here in Southeast Michigan, but it usually isn't TOO extreme.

• The worst is probably tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, which we can get a few of.
  • We also get a lot of snow here, but Ice isn't as common as a little further south of us.
  • Temperatures here can range from -20F to 100F+ (-30C to 38C+)

Heavy rain, that is about it. 

Though last winter (2013) it snowed so much that an old building which has been around for who knows how long, and has survived Hurricane Hugo in the 80's (I am told), finally collapsed from the intense weight and temperature of the snow and cold air around it.

Living in Wisconsin, we're dealing with a good amount of snow and below zero temperature. It wouldn't be so bad if things in our barn didn't freeze whenever the temperature got below -10.

Stupid mother nature. :P

In So-Cal the worst weather we get is a slight drizzle because it's so rare and causes drivers to freak out and pretty much turn the 5 (interstate highway) into a parking lot XD

Edited by Scotti3
  • Brohoof 1

Strong winds and rain. I remember once that the wind got so bad the house started to shake, we were all confused why it was so strong, next morning we figured out a tornado touched down in a field a good distance from the house.

In So-Cal the worst weather we get is a slight drizzle because it's so rare and causes drivers to freak out and pretty much turn the 5 (interstate highway) into a parking lot XD

Don't forget STORMWATCH 2014/2015. HALF AN INCH OF RAIN AND WE'RE STOPPING THE PRESSES.

And there's the ridiculous heatwaves. It peaked out at like 110 this summer. During Anime Expo. When everyone has to wait outside to pick up their pre-reg badges. No joke, people were having heat strokes in line.

The worst weather we get is ridiculously long droughts. We've been in a horrible one for more than 3 years now. Luckily a few weeks ago we got buckets of rain which was really nice, but it's supposed to be dry for a while now.

As you may of noticed, I consider extended periods with no rain to be bad weather.