Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media What is your general opinion about gore?

Noei

Hi there! :)

So what is your opinion about the extreme gore and violence that had been quite predominant in today's videogames, comics , movies,etc.

I don't mind it, some of my favorite media have a good amount of gore in it, it doesn't really bother me.

It's obviously better to have said gore in a work of fiction than in real life of course. 

• Brohoof 3

So what is your opinion about the extreme gore and violence that had been quite predominant in today's videogames, comics , movies,etc.

It's fine when there is a realistic factor or cause behind violence, but mindless and over-exaggerated gore is overrated and unnecessary in my opinion. Exaggerated deaths, injuries, and blood loss as seen in some works of anime and low-budget movies is just a clear example of the producers trying too hard. No need to add additional blood and put so much emphasis on the shock factor. Most reported deaths these days are violent and bloody enough as it is.

• Brohoof 2

Well.

I do like the Saw films and Happy Tree Friends.

That should speak for itself.

• Brohoof 2

Well, for me , it depends on the propuse of the gore I am talking about. Sometimes-if no usually-  gore and violence can fit pretty well a media, so I wouldn't mind and could even enjoy gore if it is done well in redering the story of the above said media.

What I find unpleasant is gore for the sake of the gore.(EX:Happy three friends). The great amount of meaningless suffering and extreme gore sometimes just give me nuts,sorry if you enjoy them, but it is just....not my cup of tea.

Although I agree that sometimes the violence and gore in fiction may prevent violence and gore in reality, but,still, not my thing.

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a problem with it, but there are settings where it's great and settings where it's unnecessary.

For example, Unreal Tournament is made to be completely over-the-top, exaggerated violence. You run around with hand held rocket launchers, shotguns the size of cannons, lightning sniper rifles, exploding buzz saw guns, and shoulder launched nukes. If they had realistic gore instead of flaming chunks that bounce around, leaving blood trails before splattering into more blood, it'd seem out of place.

On the flip side, Fallout New Vegas is supposed to be more realistic (not completely, it is dark comedy after all), so when you shoot somebody in the head with a 9mil and their entire head severs at the neck and then rolls around, it's pretty stupid.

• Brohoof 4

I dislike it because there aren't any scary movies anymore, only gory ones. It's just a competition to see who can be the most disgusting. And I never saw the appeal in it, it doesn't strike me as entertaining in the least...  it's become too common.

• Brohoof 2

If it fits into a certain game or movie, then I've got no problem with it, however, when it's overdone or gory for the sake of shock value, or for the hell of it, then it's stupid.

I dislike it because there aren't any scary movies anymore, only gory ones. It's just a competition to see who can be the most disgusting. And I never saw the appeal in it, it doesn't strike me as entertaining in the least...  it's become too common.

Like Final Destination. Those movies are over the top and ridiculous. I think they're just going for who has the most disturbing or OTT death. The first one was ok, but the rest are just,  :eww:

• Brohoof 1

I love it because morbid curiosity. I'm fully aware that there's a difference between real gore and the stuff we find in entertainment media though.

Plus for me it makes more of an impact in horror than most things. Subtlety has it's place but once the big reveal takes place I just want some freaky imagery and gore often takes a part in that.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind it at all. It's nothing that personally affects me too much. But it can start to get a little disturbing when around people who enjoy to watch things just for the splatter.

Then there was a comment on a Happy Tree Friends youtube video stating that he takes his time to... *ahem* "do business" while watching the said video. Don't sue me, Mods.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind it really. Only if it's in video games or anime/cartoons/manga well basically as long as it's not in live action horror films. It's funny I can take violent live action films that are of the action sort of genre but I can't take violent live action horror. I don't know.

But yeah. As long as it's not that. And in the case of live action does not involve children or animals I'm fine.

• Brohoof 1

As an Alice Cooper fan I don't have a problem with blood and gore per se, my issue is when things shift to an attitude of ,"man, I sure love watching people die horribly as a sole source of entertainment!" In which case I am reminded of the Stoic Philosopher Seneca recounting how once when he inadvertently ended up watching an execution held for public entertainment ( the Roman and Hollywood view of entertainment is disturbingly similar these days, which is part of the reason I quite my job at a theatre ) in between a sporting event or drama I think; and he wrote to a friend how he felt it somehow damaged his humanity.
Some may bring up how something animated, in film, or in written form is completely different, and granted no one actually dies. However what concerns me is if the human mind itself actually distinguishes between such things completely or if on a subconscious level there is little difference in effect.

I found the letter of Seneca's in question http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius/Letter_7

Edited by Virgil
  • Brohoof 1

I can't watch it anymore

I don't know if it's because of hormones changing over the years, psychological issues or anxiety... but if I'm exposed to gore too much I hyperventilate 

I actually had a panic attack after watching The Butterfly Effect -____-

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a problem with it as long as parents don't go on about how this and that corrupted their poor little Jimmy or whatever. I think most people who grew up around video games and other violent mediums with proper parenting have put up a mental shield so that it really doesn't affect them too negatively, might just be me though. Though certain things do make me a bit sick such as reading or watching things that involve well...dismembering someone very slowly as well as other forms of gruesome slow torture, that does tend to get in my head, but I can shake it off after a bit.

(I really need to read before I post, so many issues when I type)

• Brohoof 3

It's pretty gross. I've seen some nasty things on TV...thankfully only on TV.

I don't appreciate gore in games...or rather, I wouldn't initiate it since I feel like that's leading towards being sadistic. Shoot to kill then move on (I haven't played CoD in a while :1).

• Brohoof 1