Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things that you disliked about Rainbow Rocks?

Redeye

My biggest fault was how unbelievably superfluous Twilight was. This movie focused mostly on Sunset Shimmer so Twilight didn't really have any reason to be there. First, they wanted her to come so they could stop the Dazzlings and when that didn't work they needed her to write a counterspell, only to spend the entire movie stressing about being unable to do that. Then, when the Dazzlings put their plan into action, she's curled up in a fetal position while the others fight amongst themselves. 

Speaking of that, from what I know about the first movie, the EQG counterparts seem way more prone to end up at each other's throats. In the first movie they were apparently friends before Sunset split them up and that didn't take much and here they again end up arguing. Now you could argue that this was because of the Dazzling's magic or has been building up thanks to Dash's ever increasing ego (which was another fault by the way) but I'm pretty sure they've argued and squabbled more than the Mane 6 have in the show. Hell, the only time I can really recall the Mane 6 arguing to this degree (outside of when they were Discorded) was in Hearth's Warming Eve and that was more bookends to the episode rather than anything legitimate.  

My only objection is a bit technical and perhaps a little picky. I didn't like the whole "Lets use magnets to work Rarity like a marionette!" thing. I thought it was stupid. This might sound weird, but if Rarity chose to use steel as a decorative fringe, she would have used STAINLESS STEEL, which magnets do not pick up. Fluttershy being terrified of the spotlight was cute though.

I thought Pinkie Pie was done terribly, nearly nothing she did was funny, again RD sucked and the music still isn't that good. Although RR is still miles better then that stupid bland high school drama, and to be fair considering the fact the series went from bad to decent I have high hopes for a third movie.

I liked a lot of what Pinkie did in the movie. My favorite was when she hid a bunch of cookies up in her hair.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

My only objection is a bit technical and perhaps a little picky. I didn't like the whole "Lets use magnets to work Rarity like a marionette!" thing. I thought it was stupid. This might sound weird, but if Rarity chose to use steel as a decorative fringe, she would have used STAINLESS STEEL, which magnets do not pick up. Fluttershy being terrified of the spotlight was cute though.

I liked a lot of what Pinkie did in the movie. My favorite was when she hid a bunch of cookies up in her hair.

Yeah but none of the humour worked, though to be fair it's not so much a problem with RR it's just that Meghan McCarthy doesn't know how to write Pinkie Pie.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I dodnt lik the villians of this movie.. I thought sumshine shimmer did a mjch better job.

Also i felt like some of the screens got cut to short makin it kinda confusing... It didn't floa as well as the first one.

I have rto admit it had it moments though

There was NOTHING I disliked about the movie but I was able to spot one or two flaws...

Twilight's voice...her bad singing does come out just for the plot...though Twilight sings pretty well in the show

Rainbow Dash...she seemed...slightly out of character...

Brad still only has little development however he  is starting to become a little more likeable!

a lot of it felt forced...

Pinkie pie felt out of character

though the movie is still likeable and many of the following are hard to notice I can't really say I DISLIKE the flaws.....               

Well, it was certainly disappointing. I thought they would improve on a lot of stuff they did bad on EQG 1, But sadly, they did not. Not on my view, anyway. But really, the thing I disliked the most was the way most of the characters acted. I actually 'facepalmed' on certain occasions, if I remember right. But if I should be honest, it wasn't too bad. It was kind of enjoyable, but still disappointing.

The 1st thing that struck me about both movies was those GOD AWFUL boots.  They look like ski boots, for crying out loud.  I've looked & nobody seems to wear them in Phoenix.  Then again, in the summer it can hit 100 by the dawn's early light & 120 by the twilight's last gleaming.  Wearing those things would be like wearing a wading pool.  They are the ugliest damn thing in footwear since platform wedgies in the 70s & the most impractical since saddle shoes in the 50s (any fool that would that put 2 colors on a pair of shoes obviously never had to shine them (they were my mother's, wise guy))  Do teens really wear them?

As to movie points.  Rainbow Dash's behavior is ugly, but typical Rock Star behavior.  We used to call it "Going Hollywood"  & I couldn't tell you the number of bands I've seen break up because of it.  The Beatles (back in the late 1960s), Van Halen, The Police, Genesis, a 1000 others.

As to Twilight, I agree.  Sunset Shimmer & to some extent Vinyl Scratch saved the day when she couldn't & wouldn't admit it or get out of the way so more capable folks could do her job (Then again, everybody else seems to forget VS tried to sabotage the band in the early levels of competition.  Not Good Guy Approved Behavior)

I think the worst Part was Rainbow Dash... her Attitute just annoys me and her Song "Awesome as I wanna be" is my absolute least Favorite Song (Suprisingly "Tricks up my Sleeve" is one of my Favorites... maybe it's because Trixie's Bandmembers weren't annoyed by her)

The 1st thing that struck me about both movies was those GOD AWFUL boots.  They look like ski boots, for crying out loud.  I've looked & nobody seems to wear them in Phoenix.  Then again, in the summer it can hit 100 by the dawn's early light & 120 by the twilight's last gleaming.  Wearing those things would be like wearing a wading pool.  They are the ugliest damn thing in footwear since platform wedgies in the 70s & the most impractical since saddle shoes in the 50s (any fool that would that put 2 colors on a pair of shoes obviously never had to shine them (they were my mother's, wise guy))  Do teens really wear them?

As to movie points.  Rainbow Dash's behavior is ugly, but typical Rock Star behavior.  We used to call it "Going Hollywood"  & I couldn't tell you the number of bands I've seen break up because of it.  The Beatles (back in the late 1960s), Van Halen, The Police, Genesis, a 1000 others.

As to Twilight, I agree.  Sunset Shimmer & to some extent Vinyl Scratch saved the day when she couldn't & wouldn't admit it or get out of the way so more capable folks could do her job (Then again, everybody else seems to forget VS tried to sabotage the band in the early levels of competition.  Not Good Guy Approved Behavior)

Vinyl Scratch was never in the official battle of the bands and never did any sabotage. I think you're mistaking Vinyl for Photo Finish

post-15772-0-27221800-1417529641.png Vinyl Scratch

post-15772-0-92453400-1417529640.png Photo Finish

They look similar so I can understand the confusion.

And this Rainbow Dash hasn't had the same character development as Pony Rainbow Dash yet. These characters may have the same names, appearance, and similar personalities as their pony counterparts do. But they don't have the same experiences.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

Vinyl Scratch was never in the official battle of the bands and never did any sabotage. And this Rainbow Dash hasn't had the same character development as Pony Rainbow Dash yet.

THANK YOU. Seriously, I felt like I was the only person who understood this

What I personally dislike, though is that I wished there was more interaction between Sunset and Flash. I can understand that the focus is on Sunset's redemption and the race to save the world of Canterlot High from the control of the Sirens, but I wish they could have added more.

For example, there could have been a flashback to show how Flash used to be such a nice guy, even to Sunset back when she was cruel and dishonest until he wised up and broke up with her a few weeks before the first film when he saw how mean she was to everyone. This could have helped shown Flash's character and would have given the reformed Sunset Shimmer reason to confront the Dazzlings in the dark hallway after a brainwashed Flash Sentry made Twilight cry.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I dodnt lik the villians of this movie.. I thought sumshine shimmer did a mjch better job.

Also i felt like some of the screens got cut to short makin it kinda confusing... It didn't floa as well as the first one.

I have rto admit it had it moments though

Who's sumshine shimmer. And I disagree. Sunset Shimmer in my opinion was rather flat as a villain character wise. There wasn't much to her other than here being the sterotypical alpha b---h. The sort of thing you always see in high school settings. There was more to her I could tell but they just didn't do much with her. Since RR was more or less her redemption we got to see and learn more about her. The Dazzlings weren't perfect but made better villains to me. I don't know why they did they just did. :/

Who's sumshine shimmer. And I disagree. Sunset Shimmer in my opinion was rather flat as a villain character wise. There wasn't much to her other than here being the sterotypical alpha b---h. The sort of thing you always see in high school settings. There was more to her I could tell but they just didn't do much with her. Since RR was more or less her redemption we got to see and learn more about her. The Dazzlings weren't perfect but made better villains to me. I don't know why they did they just did. :/

Wow so my typing was way off that day.

I thought they were boring villians all they did was sing then do nothing... They just turned everyone against everyone else... Thats really not that great.... Sunset Shimmer atleast purposely got involved to destroy them.... I find that much better then just singing then walking away..

Wow so my typing was way off that day.

I thought they were boring villians all they did was sing then do nothing... They just turned everyone against everyone else... Thats really not that great.... Sunset Shimmer atleast purposely got involved to destroy them.... I find that much better then just singing then walking away..

Ehh to each their own I suppose.

I hated how even though they were all friends with Sunset Shimmer now, they didn't offer a position in the band to her near the beginning of the movie and I hated how they pretty much kept slapping her in the face by bringing up her past mistakes. And I liked RD, it reminded me of her season one self when they had just become friends and were new to their elements. Like, full of pride and stuff... I also don't like Brad. Just get rid of him.

• Brohoof 1

I dislike Flash Sentry, but because I'm too lazy to check, I'm gonna guess that my reason is different from others.

I dislike him because he is a mistake by the creators of him. What I mean by this is I have a deep gut feeling that he is supposed to be a background character like Derpy, one we all would like and build a background for him for them, only they made a mistake in his creation:

They gave him a half personality.

What I mean by that is, he was given a personality, but it was a unfinished one that needs to be build upon. Now, in this fandom, that would be a good thing, except with what is presented so far, he is, as far as I've heard, a Gary Stu.

Now, I've got headcanons that say that he isn't perfect, but with what is shown, he is the issue I have with 'Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks.'

• Brohoof 1

Flash Sentry having NO bearing on the plot as opposed to having a slight bearing in the first movie, and Spike's general lack of presence. That's about it, really.

well actually he did play a subtle part, he showed what the dazzlings spell really did to people, they turned a nice, helpful guy in to a total jerk.
  • Brohoof 2

Things I didn't like? Well, there was re-appearance of Flash not so fast. It always ruins ones movie enjoyment to see blatant romantic interest trope to spoil the scenery with 0 contribution to the story.

Then Bumset Shimmer apparently was still in the same school, and nobody even questioned the whole demon and magical powers thing, life just went on and people were more miffed than curious and amazed. Like really?  If I knew a magician who EVER held any real magic I'd be hanging from their arsecheek with all my might asking questions endlessly.How come she is not like the most popular girl in the school now?

And then there was the fact that Sonata did not get enough screen time, she is just delightful character. Nobody who is evil can enjoy tacos or Snips and Snails rapping.

well actually he did play a subtle part, he showed what the dazzlings spell really did to people, they turned a nice, helpful guy in to a total jerk.

True, but the plot of the movie would still make perfect sense without us knowing that (not to mention that nearly everyone in the school was being a total jerk). Believe it or not, I actually missed the scene where Flash was being a jerk to Twilight when I watched the movie, and still understood everything that was going on. :P

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 1

And about Rainbow Dash, i disliked her attitude too, but i don't think we should consider it a flaw because she was in character. I've said the same thing before about Mare Do Well and Dragonshy.

Honestly, we can, and we should. Part of FIM's personality is by how likeable the characters and atmosphere are. You could consider Dash in character (but flanderized), but she's extremely unlikeable in the film.

A lot of people hated RD in this movie, but forget to remember she hasn't learned the lessons pony dash has.

That's no excuse. Despite not learning the lessons, she's supposed to be that same developed character. The Dash we saw in season four is supposed to be the same as the Dash in RR, and you can repeat this for the other four.

There were far too many things to dislike about this trash.

1. The ReMane Five are unlikeable. Each of them is incredibly immature with their constant squabbling and arguing. They do nothing except eat up a considerable amount of running time and become irritable for me as a viewer to listen to.

Rainbow Dash is one such example. But Applejack is the worst offender. While Dash's ego was too much even for her, Applejack's character is equivalent to that of Look Before You Sleep, one of her worst performances. She may be honest, but she's way too argumentative and apprehensive, thus contributing to the needless tension between the HuMane Five.
  2. The plot is a lot more coherent, but it's way too transparent. For the millionth time, the villain wants conquest. Only unlike Sunset and her Idiot Plot, it's the human world only. There's no subtlety in their plans, as their scheme is shoved in the audience's faces before the prologue ends and spilled out again just before they barged in the cafeteria. By spilling everything out in the open for the audience to hear, you suck the tension out of the story.

Each of them is equally bland, but the worst of the trio is Sonata. She's like Pinkie Pie from Three's a Crowd, but evil. Her idiocy is unbearable.

And @@NotoriousSMALL revealed some nasty implications surrounding their banishment. Starswirl banished them several centuries ago to the alternate dimension…but were mere teenagers? Part of the reason why these implications exist is because we don't truly know how long they've been in the human world. Were they teenagers for hundreds of years, or did they have some kind of "shape shift" or "spell" to keep themselves this young? The script doesn't spill the details other than they sorta looked like teenagers long before the concept of electric lights existed.
  3. Some of the comedy is mean-spirited. Yes, Sunset did some horrible deeds, but that doesn't entitle the script to constantly jab at her. One "no offense" joke is enough. Doing it time and time again makes the jokes less funny: We know the punchline, and it only makes Sunset look sympathetic while making the HuMane Five unlikeable. Simultaneously, what if someone was watching FIM for the first time and saw this? By putting Sunset Shimmer as a major butt of unnecessary jokes, it lends a terrible first impression for the HuMane Five and may have them become very disliked for some time.
  4. Flash Sentry Walking Cardboard is actually in this film, and he was even more useless and blander than in EQG, which is very hard to do considering how one-dimensional and stereotypical he was last time. This Gary Stu's a complete waste of script space, and it's downright baffling he continues to get any support.
  5. This movie advertises itself as the clichéd "battle of the bands." While it's usually great to twist it up, the last way to do it is to advertise the cliché and never actually use it until the climax. Doing so makes all the progress in between pointless and the buildup a waste of valuable time. Given the incessant arguing and continually sterile environment EQG is, I'm not surprised.

As such, the pacing of the entire film is unbelievably sloppy! If anything, the pacing is arguably just as bad here as the first. Yeah, the plot has more focus, but it's also way too slow and trudges its way to the finish line.
  6. There's way too much handwaving. You get the character to be asked about the plot holes and major continuity lapses that plague this world (both in the former and latter). You either get a nonsensical one-sentence explanation or the plot hole is glossed over wi[thout explanation. This makes the plot holes even more glaring because the team's aware of it and is too damn lazy to close them up.
  7. Of the lack of continuity it has, there was one hard-lined rule: The portal between the two worlds is only open once every "thirty moons" for three consecutive days. This movie addresses it…

…And then destroys it via a blatant DEM (Sunset's book) and then having Twilight be able to travel through from one world to the next via the interdimensional contrivance. If you have a rule of continuity, use it! Don't insult your audience's intelligence by skirting around the rules "because the plot says so."
  8. After being really great in Equestria Girls, Spike was useless for almost the entire movie. The only time he wasn't was when he and Vinyl helped them out of the trap. The same goes for Twilight, who sung very well during the musical scene Equestria Girls, but then struggled in practice.
  • Brohoof 1