Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things that you disliked about Rainbow Rocks?

Redeye

From what I've seen, I really did not like Rainbow Dash's extreme characterization in the movie and I also think the running gag of reminding Sunset Shimmer about "the incident" was done to death. Once, twice, or three times would have been okay, but they really ran with it too much in this movie.

That's no excuse. Despite not learning the lessons, she's supposed to be that same developed character. The Dash we saw in season four is supposed to be the same as the Dash in RR, and you can repeat this for the other four.

Where does it say that? It's not that I don't believe you I just never saw anyone say this to confirm it.

Plus why is Trixie still full of herself then if she started being more humble in season three, shouldn't she be developed too?

• Brohoof 1

This may come off as nitpicky, but... "Ermagerd, Trixie's gone!!!11!1 Never mind, she's over there." I wouldn't have minded this joke, but the scene had to do a repeat of it near the end.

Apart from that, the film's pretty good.

Edited by Blackened

I mentioned it in the Rainbow Rocks review thread before, but I'll say it again here: I don't like Flash Sentry. He's got the personality of a cardboard cutout and he's just a reverse damsel in distress. Not to mention that Twilight knew he was under the Dazzlings' spell and she still got emotional when he told her off. She should be far too smart for that.

On a more personal level, I support quite enough Twilight-ships to not want a canon one. If the series proper works it out well I can get into it, I guess, but they'll really have to work on giving Flash some personality.

Other than that, I only have some minor gripes that I can actually mesh with the personalities of the characters, so they're not worth mentioning here.

The songs were good to decent, the movie just didn't do justice for them. I think they should have been more of a music video magic like Jem did.

Edited by Singe

Mako- er, I mean Flash Sentry.

img-3315653-1-Flash_Sentry_ID_EG.png

img-3315653-2-Mako-Legend-of-Korra.jpg

What? How could I not make the comparison? They're both bland love interests who have yet to evolve into interesting characters.

I also didn't like Vinyl Scratch's scene.

Edited by SpaceOnion

I don't like how this movie continues to have most of the girls keep similar body builds and similar heights. They should have more noticeable physical differences than just colors and hair styles.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

It was a big step up from EqG to be sure.

But it was very short, and could have easily been stretched into a2.5 hour film.

Dashie was really self centered.

And the dazzling a had no accompaniment..... They played no instruments..... So where did the instrument sounds come from? Never explained,

I agree that Flash Sentry shouldn't even be in this movie. It falls into the same reoccurring concept like most high school themed stories, shows, and movies of a handsome people win in the world. Good looking girls hook up only with good looking guys, nothing else barely matters. It sends the wrong message of having Twilight fall for someone by the most shallowest aspect.

Edited by Singe

What? How could I not make the comparison? They're both bland love interests who have yet to evolve into interesting characters.

Mako's okay, but guys like Bolin and Varrick just plain outclass him.

Flash. I have forgiven, but not forgotten, the hiccup of his existence in the first movie by the creators. Now though, they've done what I thought they weren't capable of and making lightning strike on themselves twice. If you absolutely, iron clad, legally bound, could not get rid of him, they could have redeemed themselves and him by fixing the mistake they made in the first place. One scene . . . that's all it would take. Just one scene to give him an identity!

But no! Generic McToken he remains! What pisses me off so much about this is the writers proved how capable they were at shooting these kinds of cliches out of a cannon!

Pinkie Pie: Dumb airhead Thinks differently but still perfectly lucid and notices details others overlook.

Rarity: Stuck up alpha bitch Driven, passionate artist who wants to use her talent to make the world more beautiful.

Rainbow Dash: Tomboy narcissist Ambitious, rising athlete who struggles with what's best for her and her career and her compassion to her friends and her community.

Fluttershy: Wall flower who either remains such or becomes meaner and thus tougher All loving in the truest sense but gains the confidence to make herself heard without yelling.

So we are left with the character equivalent of an appendix, doesn't hurt but it doesn't contribute. Now, as of the sequel he's become infected and actually damages an otherwise healthy body.

• Brohoof 1

From what I've seen, I really did not like Rainbow Dash's extreme characterization in the movie and I also think the running gag of reminding Sunset Shimmer about "the incident" was done to death. Once, twice, or three times would have been okay, but they really ran with it too much in this movie.

It was done 3 times... and the third time she just made fun of it.

Wow so my typing was way off that day.

I thought they were boring villians all they did was sing then do nothing... They just turned everyone against everyone else... Thats really not that great.... Sunset Shimmer atleast purposely got involved to destroy them.... I find that much better then just singing then walking away..

Just singing? What about their plan to make The Rainbooms fall apart? The way they did it was really clever.

• Brohoof 2

It was a big step up from EqG to be sure.

But it was very short, and could have easily been stretched into a2.5 hour film.

Dashie was really self centered.

And the dazzling a had no accompaniment..... They played no instruments..... So where did the instrument sounds come from? Never explained,

That's a good point. Maybe the instruments just play when they sing because their magic works that way.... but i'm not sure.

I was slightly annoyed that Trixie was portrayed as a villian, despite the fact that she won the semifinals fairly and was cheated.

I was also annoyed that they never explained why there seemed to be a thousand years unaccounted for in the Siren's timeline.

Actually, Mako has had a tremendous amount of character development over three and and a half seasons of Korra.

It's just that an honest, hard-working, normal guy isn't all that interesting when compared the other characters.

It's easy to say they should have had more of this, or more of that. Yes, more characterization for Flash Sentry, more of an explanation for how Sunset Shimmer lives in this world (what did she do with the original human Sunny; where does she live), more Trixie, more Sonata, more Lyra/Bon Bon shipping...  ;)

But ultimately they can't put everything in - there's a limit to how much you can squeeze into a short film - so I'm not going to criticize what they left out. Who knows, they could get to that stuff in EG3?

Of the stuff they left in, I think the Twilight convinces the ponies that they shouldn't come to the human world a little too easily.

• 2 weeks later...

There was one thing I didn't like about the movie: still no development on Flash Sentry's character. We still don't know about his friends, not much of his personality, he doesn't even have much back story to work with, unlike Sunset Shimmer. All we know is that he likes playing guitar, he was Sunset's boyfriend just so she'd be popular and he has a sudden crush on Twilight. NOTHING ELSE! Seriously, if Hasbro isn't going to develop more on his character, then I see no reason for him still existing.

I thought that it was a decent film and was a pretty good follow up to Season 4. However there were a problems with it.

First Flash Sentry was really annoying and not only is he the rich, lucky, gets all the girls, bland, idiot that every guy hates, but this time he's also a complete jerk. He makes Twilight cry (I know it was under influence but it still pisses me off) and says "Hey, there's the bad girl we all love to hate" when Sunset saved the mane 6 from wasting their energy. He also has a crush on Twilight which sounds cute but its really just tedious as he's so unlikable and is one of those selfish types that don't really give a crap about girls, and just want them for their looks. Also they didn't develop his character any more than the first film so he's still the blandest character in the show, and it was painfully obvious that EVERYONE (yes even people who liked the first one) hated him in the first Equestria Girls, so why didn't they get rid of him and just have him in the background. And if they couldn't get rid of him why couldn't they have made him more interesting.

Also, look don't get me wrong I thought the songs were great, especially Shine Like Rainbows and Awesome as I Wanna Be. But why did that last battle have to be a song instead of a genuine fight scene? It took away from the seriousness of the film and it kind of made it seem, well, insincere.

I also didn't like the "Yeah we've done this before, no offense" gag. I really liked Sunset and this movie made her my waifu, and the fact that the most likable character in this movie or even MLP as a whole was constantly getting abused and used as a running joke was not funny. Other things I didn't like included the constant full title of Celestia and Luna to reinforce the idea that they butchered the fantasy setting and made it high school, and the fact that Twilight came in and stole the spotlight a little bit when Sunset was the most interesting character in the movie.

It had MANY good elements too. But you asked me what I disliked, so there you have it.

Edited by Arctofire

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like it at all. I posted about it in the reviews thread, but here are my main gripes:

1: The plot is completely predictable with no plot twists. I guessed nearly the whole plot very early on.

2: The songs were all that radio-friendly pop that I can't stand.

3: Flash Sentry didn't do anything. There is still no reason for me to like him, or to support his relationship with Twilight.

4: The dialogue was full of cringe-inducing slang that felt forced.

can only say I had two issues with this movie, both with Sunset Shimmer.

First, redemption. In order for a redemption to be believable, there needs to be a temptation. Simply put, the person needs to have their loyalty tested with something that would benefit them should they turn back to evil. Rainbow Rocks was completely missing it for Sunset Shimmer; I expected it to be in the scene with the Dazzlings in the dark hall, but I went the whole movie without seeing it (The end scene where she picks up the mike doesn't either, since she only stood to lose everything along with the rest of the Mane Six). Though I think we can trust her, it makes it difficult to guess whether she still has bad intentions.

Second, no meeting with Celestia. I understand they didn't want to derail the movie so she can meet with her teacher, but 1) teasing us with it with the whole book fiasco was just mean, and 2) this is literally the other half of Sunset Shimmer's life. She was Celestia's  prized pupil; In the comics, Celestia was like a mother figure to her. Now... it doesn't matter? If Celestia knows, then it hurt Sunset Shimmer's character for not caring that she's probably eating herself alive over her. If she doesn't know, then it hurts Twilight's character for not telling her teacher Sunset Shimmer's changed, or trying to get the two of them to make up. I will admit I don't have as big of a gripe over this, though, since I feel like they'll cover it in the third movie.