Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Video Game Music that sounds suspiciously like Real Music(and vice versa)

ScarfaceOne

OK. So this topic is about video game music that sounds like real music, and vice versa. I have discovered some songs in video games are very similar to real songs. What do you think?

Turbo Outrun: Rush a difficulty=Bed's too big without you, Sting.

Sonic: Marble Zone theme=Typical Dave Greenfield Solo.

Sonic: Spring Yard Zone=Every little step, Bobby Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeYmkH_bkHY

It doesn't stop there. The boss theme in Sonic 2 came before The Noisettes don't you stop the rhythm. And Super Stripe from After Burner sounds like Rhythm is gonna get you by Gloria Estefan, which in turn sounds like I Want to be starting something by Michael Jackson. Also, Michael Jackson almost composed the soundtrack to Sonic 3 so most songs in that game are based on his music. Then there is a short song in Virtua Racing that sound's like Prince's Partyman from Batman. And a song in Virtual-On called Alice In Wonderland actually sounds like the end of a very merry unbirthday in the film of the same name. And there are lots of examples in Earthbound. Including Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry. Also, Getting Muddy in Sega Rally sounds like Iron Maiden's Die with your boots on, and Night and Day from Ace Combat sounds exactly like Pink Floyd's What do you want from me? Have you got any suggestions?

Edited by 41Hornet

Well video game music is real music, it's just composed for a game instead. It's not really surprising you'd see simularties with other songs though since there's even other artists that have done that

Pretty Much. There's a song by the Scissor Sisters called Filthy Gorgeous and I reckon it ripped off the Tekken Character select theme. Then there is Flowering Night from Touhou. Which sounds almost exactly like Iron Maiden's The Trooper.

In Fact, almost every Sega Solo from the 90s sounds like Dave Greenfield from The Stranglers. Even The Living Tombstone sounds like the Stranglers, Discord sounds like Nice'N Sleazy.

This song sounds a lot like Ice Cap Zone, though Sonic 3 came out more than a decade after this song:

In this instance, the "real" music sounds like the video game music that came out before it:

(go to about 3:00)

...which sounds like this:

I myself would argue all of it. Since all of it is real music.  :okiedokielokie:

I can't provide any examples, though. I've never really noticed any similarities.  :blush:

• Brohoof 1

If you're coming in here to say that video game is real music, you have missed the point, you all. =/

Anyway, this:

sounds a whole lot like this (at 2:03):

It's funny because I first heard this song and played Pokemon Diamond around the same time, so I caught that one really fast.

It's funny that someone would bring this up, because there actually was a video game composer who got caught plaigiarising "traditional" music. His name was Kenji Yamamoto, and he did the soundtracks to a lot of the old Dragonball Z games. It was so bad that the music in Raging Blast 2 had to be altered in new shipments of the game. Additionally, the Budokai HD re-release wasn't able to use his soundtracks. It's a shame that they were plaigiarised, because honestly, the music basically 'made' a lot of those older games.

http://youtu.be/55rtX4wCJPM

The credits theme from Sonic 3 sounds like a remarkably faster version of Micheal Jackson's Stranger's in Moscow

That's because, like I said before. Sonic 3 was actually supposed to be composed by Michael Jackson. But he opted out. But it's apparent he made some work on the music.

It's funny that someone would bring this up, because there actually was a video game composer who got caught plaigiarising "traditional" music. His name was Kenji Yamamoto, and he did the soundtracks to a lot of the old Dragonball Z games. It was so bad that the music in Raging Blast 2 had to be altered in new shipments of the game. Additionally, the Budokai HD re-release wasn't able to use his soundtracks. It's a shame that they were plaigiarised, because honestly, the music basically 'made' a lot of those older games.

That reminds me of a lawsuit between the owners of The Stranglers, Complete Music and a band called Elastica. They made a song called Waking Up, which ripped off No More Heroes. Complete requested that they have the original members of The Stranglers writing credits on the song. And they did just that. They also paid 40 percent of the royalties. Also, fun fact, Goichi Suda, the maker of the game No More Heroes, indeed named it after the song of the same name. So there you have it.

• Brohoof 1

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IlHRSpFGtQk

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq9mipSqeC4

Although I can think of a bunch of video game music that sounds like real music, most of those cases are either acknowledged to have taken inspiration or ended up being sued for plagiarism (like the original metal gear theme).

But that f-zero and pink Floyd song, I think, are purely coincidential.

Edited by pollo20x6

• 4 months later...
(edited)

I Just thought about restarting this thread a bit with this. I believe ''Uptown Funk'' By Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars ripped off ''Searchin for my dreams'' from Sega Rally 2.

Why are they similar you ask? Similar pace, plus the Trumpet Intervals are the same.

It's not just that. Some music uses the same type of keyboard or instruments, or at least Keyboard Effects. David Guetta and Ne-Yo's ''Play Hard'' features the same keyboard effects as ''My Dear Friend Rally'' from Sega Rally 1.

https://youtu.be/Ul3CWxblzOs?t=1m45s

Edited by ScarfaceOne