Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv God's not dead movie

ShintX

I freakin' love how christianity is the minority in here, are you serious? U.S is like 85% christian. The way they portray atheist are just people mad at yahweh. Really? A lot people who are atheist aren't mad at yahweh, they are born with the choice for picking which religion they want, realize that science make more sense, or they grew up in a stifled christian household. Hmm Sexual preference could differ also.

(I'm too tired and lazy to fix any mistakes in the post right know, if there is I'll come back tomorrow for it.)

Edited by NoodleBrony

I freakin' love how christianity is the minority in here, are you serious? U.S is like 85% christian.

My observation is that far-right Fundamentalist Christians seem to only count other far- right Fundamentalist Christians as Christians. So if that's the standard you're going by, "Christians" are in fact a much hated minority in the US.

• Brohoof 1

being Christian myself i kind of like it but yeah it did seem to have a all atheist are assholes and if don't you think so then too bad factor in it but i just think you shouldn't be so hung up on the fact of if your religious or not just my two bits people don't hate me

• Brohoof 1

I think the movie sucks in every way possible. First off it has like 10 plots non of which where developed of even that interesting besides the main debate. Both arguments where poor and ok at best, I find it hard to believe that a preffesior can be as dumb as he is in this movie. Oh and BTW the preffisor is not even an atheist he is an Anti theist these are two different things. you can tell this by the fact that he was mad at god therefor he had to believe in a god.

As for cinematography and all that jazz it had nothing special but nothing too bad (except the part where he got hit buy the car) because that was laughable. The sound was ok I guess once again nothing great but nothing bad. one part I did like was the car dealer because he was funny like all his lines where great I want a movie just about that subplot.

So all in all the movie sucked I give it a 3/10 I wound not suggest it even if you are a Christian.  

• Brohoof 1

Simply by looking at this picture illustrates the two parallels.

img-3277046-1-UZA70MN.png

That right there is the problem. Just like that picture, the movie is portraying atheists in a very stereotypical light when in reality, atheism has both it's good and it's bad just like every religion in the world.

Now, I fully understand that a plot needs an antagonist, and if this movie was strictly for entertainment purposes, then I would see that as a good enough excuse for the caricature. However, the point of the movie isn't just entertainment:

img-3277104-2-aa954e6a983dfd32d3610e62d3

This is the message given to the audience at the end of the movie, and it's safe to say that the movie is literally trying to start a movement.

-If you want to make a movie with a caricature of atheists, then that's fine.

-If you want to make a movie that attempts to start a pro-Christianity movement, then that's fine too.

-But don't try to make a movie with both.

Why? because the message it gives the audience is very poor. The movie is basically saying "All atheists are mean SOBs who hate god, and we should stand against them!" when in reality, very few atheists are like that.

To the Christians who are reading this, how would you like it if some atheists came together and made a movie where every Christian is depicted as a Westboro Baptist Churchgoer, the plot is to keep extremist religious views out of a college, and in the end it tries to start a movement by telling you to text everyone you know "Keep religion out of it." The movie may be entertaining, and you may even agree with some of it's secular views. However, I highly doubt you could sit through the entire thing without feeling the least bit offended.

Edited by Asterisk Propernoun
  • Brohoof 4

That right there is the problem. Just like that picture, the movie is portraying atheists in a very stereotypical light when in reality, atheism has both it's good and it's bad just like every religion in the world.

Now, I fully understand that a plot needs an antagonist, and if this movie was strictly for entertainment purposes, then I would see that as a good enough excuse for the caricature. However, the point of the movie isn't just entertainment:

img-3277104-2-aa954e6a983dfd32d3610e62d3

This is the message given to the audience at the end of the movie, and it's safe to say that the movie is literally trying to start a movement.

-If you want to make a movie with a caricature of atheists, then that's fine.

-If you want to make a movie that attempts to start a pro-Christianity movement, then that's fine too.

-But don't try to make a movie with both.

Why? because the message it gives the audience is very poor. The movie is basically saying "All atheists are mean SOBs who hate god, and we should stand against them!" when in reality, very few atheists are like that.

To the Christians who are reading this, how would you like it if some atheists came together and made a movie where every Christian is depicted as a Westboro Baptist Churchgoer, the plot is to keep extremist religious views out of a college, and in the end it tries to start a movement by telling you to text everyone you know "Keep religion out of it." The movie may be entertaining, and you may even agree with some of it's secular views. However, I highly doubt you could sit through the entire thing without feeling the least bit offended.

But Christians are depicted as extreme in USA. If you mean generalized views which i often hear from atheists on Yahoo Answers. But its more a chicken fight in general. Which is the case with Atheism vs Theism. While in Europe this is more like "Who cares".

atheistscartoons.jpg

I can give you an example. Here is the objective atheist person(Few off) : 0:09 - 0:14

And here is the everyday atheist troll(Many off). 0:15 - 0:19

Big difference. And the sad thing many of them act like this on the internet. Like "Stupid sky fairies" the typical generalized view.

I can't say what i think about the everyday life in USA, since i don't live there. But here we don't really care about what others believe, its just people in general. We meet and thats it. Some believe and some don't. And that's basically it.

Edited by ShintX
  • Brohoof 1

But Christians are depicted as extreme in USA. If you mean generalized views which i often hear from atheists on Yahoo Answers. But its more a chicken fight in general. Which is the case with Atheism vs Theism. While in Europe this is more like "Who cares".

img-3277154-2-atheistscartoons.jpg

I can give you an example. Here is the objective atheist person(Few off) : 0:09 - 0:14

And here is the everyday atheist troll(Many off). 0:15 - 0:19

Big difference. And the sad thing many of them act like this on the internet. Like "Stupid sky fairies" the typical generalized view.

I can't say what i think about the everyday life in USA, since i don't live there. But here we don't really care about what others believe, its just people in general. We meet and thats it. Some believe and some don't. And that's basically it.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. If it's "Two wrongs make a right.", then you're making a logical fallacy. If it's "Ha! look at all of those idiots arguing over religion! That never happens where I'm from!", then I can tell you that most of the people I know don't care about religion (I live in a small town in North Alabama, by the way.), and that the source of all the noise is just a few vocal people. I doubt your claim is even correct, have you ever heard of an outspoken atheist named Richard Dawkins who currently lives in Oxford?

Edited by Asterisk Propernoun
  • Brohoof 2

img-3277154-2-atheistscartoons.jpg

This is basically the template for every political cartoon on the internet:

"Here is someone from my side: He's all calm and rational. Here's someone from the other side: He's a raving lunatic extremist."

I can find you that exact political cartoon for any side on any issue you could possibly think of.

• Brohoof 3

As I would expect this forum has developed into quite the debate furnace. I am pleased by this. I myself did not care for the film at all, I felt it did not do justice to either side of the argument but rather simplified them to fit into a convenient frame.

post-30550-0-86714900-1416712307.gif

I can find you that exact political cartoon for any side on any issue you could possibly think of.

Whoa, don't mess with THIS brony pal.

post-30550-0-93364500-1416712424_thumb.png

Edited by Roughshod
  • Brohoof 1

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. If it's "Two wrongs make a right.", then you're making a logical fallacy. If it's "Ha! look at all of those idiots arguing over religion! That never happens where I'm from!", then I can tell you that most of the people I know don't care about religion (I live in a small town in North Alabama, by the way.), and that the source of all the noise is just a few vocal people. I doubt your claim is even correct, have you ever heard of an outspoken atheist named Richard Dawkins who currently lives in Oxford?

I think his point is that neither theists nor atheists should be judged by the example of their worst. That this movie, again for all it's faults, was almost inevitable in it's existence.

Religion is just one thing that in this day and age, it's become "cool" to bash. Much like being a brony, or being an idealist, or patriotic, etc. It's not "cool" now to be sincere, one must be ironic.

Are Christians as a whole a minority? Of course not, but that doesn't mean the individual can't be bullied and brow beaten. This movie simply was for those individuals or those who sympathize with them.

"The smallest minority on Earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."

~Ayn Rand (Before you say anything, yes I know she was an atheist, doesn't invalidate the above point.)

His point is that just because there's a majority anything doesn't mean unfair prosecution of a person within it for being a part of that anything doesn't happen.

As I would expect this forum has developed into quite the debate furnace. I am pleased by this.

Are you pleased that we're debating, or are you pleased that we are fighting? I would like to think the discussion has been civil thus far.

That's one of the things I love about this forum above anywhere else on the internet. We, as bronies, can discuss something rather divisive but maintain our respect for one another's views.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Are you pleased that we're debating, or are you pleased that we are fighting? I would like to think the discussion has been civil thus far.

Well to me debating is a form of fighting; it's a clash of beliefs and perspectives and the weapons are logic and conviction.

That being said I also agree that the discussions have been civil overall. I happen to enjoy watching topics like this being discussed because there's always a wide array of differing opinions and views and strong reasons behind them.

I think his point is that neither theists nor atheists should be judged by the example of their worst. That this movie, again for all it's faults, was almost inevitable in it's existence.

-If you think I'm judging all of Christianity by this one movie, then you're wrong.

-Just because the movie was inevitable doesn't mean I have to like it.

Are Christians as a whole a minority? Of course not, but that doesn't mean the individual can't be bullied and brow beaten. This movie simply was for those individuals or those who sympathize with them.

I was thinking about saying something along the lines of "Yea, because people never get bullied for being an atheist.", but I decided that hosting the 2014 Oppression Olympics wasn't the way to go about things. Instead, I'll say the following:

If the movie's main goal was to help those who are bullied for being Christians, then it still should have depicted atheism in a better light. Include another atheist in the story who's all like "Professor, I'm an atheist, and I think that what you're doing is wrong." and show the audience that not all atheists are antitheists. It really would've helped if they did something like that.

-If you think I'm judging all of Christianity by this one movie, then you're wrong.

-Just because the movie was inevitable doesn't mean I have to like it.

I was thinking about saying something along the lines of "Yea, because people never get bullied for being an atheist.", but I decided that hosting the 2014 Oppression Olympics wasn't the way to go about things. Instead, I'll say the following:

If the movie's main goal was to help those who are bullied for being Christians, then it still should have depicted atheism in a better light. Include another atheist in the story who's all like "Professor, I'm an atheist, and I think that what you're doing is wrong." and show the audience that not all atheists are antitheists. It really would've helped if they did something like that.

Oh I didn't think you were insinuating that at all. I was just trying to interpret ShintX's point in plainer terms.

Yes, of course people get bullied for being an atheist. It's happened in centuries past and it happens now. I appreciate your discretion on an "Opression Olympics." (I don't even want to know.)

Yes, I agree %100 the movie could have been better with even the inclusion with that one line. Even more realistic. My Dad recalls times in his own college experience when he was alone and it was basically him vs. the teacher. After the class was over, several students came up to him and told him they agreed with him and thanked him for voicing his standpoint.

"Then where the Hell were they during the class!?" Was my usual follow up, but my Dad seemed not to mind. The movie could have used something like that toward the end, where even the still firmly atheist student said something along the lines of.

"You've got balls for sticking up to Radisson." Or something like that.

So again, agree. I'll defend this movie for what it does do right, and what it could have been, but yeah there's no hiding what it turned out as. (Nor should there be.)

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

Agreed all too much. I'm so sorry you received such harsh treatment. I've never endured such in my actual life. (Although maybe I just didn't notice it during all the other stuff during boot camp.)

Anyway though, yes I did like the movie even if it went in a direction I thought made it poorer overall. However there is one part where I draw the line and seriously want to ask the creators what they were thinking.

(SPOILERS)

Professor Radisson's death! Seriously? The guy is literally on the road to redemption and God Himself practically slams the pearly gates in his face?! What the literal Hell?! This goes along with my earlier criticism, if you were trying to teach a movie about the Christian value of forgiveness and redemption, why kill the character on his way to redemption?

Ah, it's quite alright. I have forgiven her and many others that have tried to put me down because of my faith.

About his death--I did not like it that he died. If I made the movie, the first thing I would've done is make him go on the path to redemption and feel happy, relieved and free, and joining his students for the concert. I would have been much happier with that ending. So yeah, I'm with you on that one. :]

And about the little debate going on about how Christians and atheists act or are portrayed, I think that this is pretty even ground. Christians are often portrayed as homophobic, crazy and Bible-hugging people that do not tolerate any opposing view point. This is, to an extent, true, because there are many people who act like this, but this is the opposite of what Jesus taught. [A side note about homophobic Christians: I am not one of those. However, it does not mean I am okay with it. But I could care less if you wanna be whatever sexual orientation you are or wanna. I may not be okay with it, and I may have my point of view about it that opposes many, but that does not mean I will not respect you. You will never see me hating on anyone. I simply share the love of God and what He has done with my life. It is up to you to embrace it, because in the end, it is all voluntary and not mandatory. Whatever God needs to work on you, He will do, and I cannot change anyone, only He can. :) ]

Also, Atheists are portrayed negatively as well, but I have been friends with the most amazing people who are atheists and they have respected me in all senses of the word. They are amazing. And I respect their views, I may share them with them from time to time, but they respect me, and I respect them. We have to remember that stereotypes are the things that separate us. Remember that inside those stereotypes [that we desperately need to destroy], there exists people that break those stereotypes. There are true Christians, awesome atheists, kind, caring and loving Muslims... the day when we embrace respect in our society, then we may be on a road to a better place. But one can dream, right?

• Brohoof 2

The movie's just stupid. It build up this ridiculous strawman and then tears it down. But when you tear down a strawman, what point have you made? It's a very simple-minded, low-budget film that seeks to exploit the naïveté of Christian audiences. At least Kirk Cameron wasn't in it :P

• Brohoof 1

While I have not seen the movie myself, I have heard what is in this movie, the Atheism described in the movie is unrealistic, most Atheists are not anti-theist, like my self, I do not hate Christianity, I do not like radical extremist Christians, people like WBC and people who use their religious beliefs to justify their hatred of others, who selectively read their holy book ignoring what they don't like, shove their beliefs down the throats of people who don't agree with them, those are the kind of religious people I and several other Atheists don't like, most Atheists I know and have met do not hate religion, I myself believe that people are free to believe whatever they want as long as they don't force their beliefs onto others, or use their beliefs to hate others.

Well, whoever told you that the movie said all Atheists were anti-theist is full of shit.

The movie wasn't trying to describe what Atheism in general is like. The reason the non-hateful Atheists weren't in the movie is probably because they simply had no importance to the plot (although it wouldn't have hurt to put a disclaimer somewhere in there). God's Not Dead was portraying the war between the hateful type of Atheists and Christians.