Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If the ponies were mostly male, would people still ship them together?

KillerKingBakudan

I don't see why not. I remember yaoi shipping was fairly popular back in the day between male anime characters (Matt & Tai, anyone?), so I can see people shipping the males together rather easily.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but lately Yaoi shipping has dropped quite a bit so with current trends it isn't entirely the most likely outcome.

I can agree with, but at the same time I would think it depends on the gender of the main characters. As it stands for FiM, females make up the majority of the main cast (Mane 6, CMC, Princesses) so shipping among them is inevitable.

But if the show went through four seasons of a male main cast, then I think the shipping would likewise be male. Imagine a main cast of Shining Armor, Fancy Pants, Big Mac, Braeburn, Soarin, and Thunderlane and I can't see the yuri ships dominating in that case.

• Brohoof 1

Very interesting question.  There's certainly no reason we couldn't have male-male ships, but personally speaking, I probably wouldn't be interested in it.  I would certainly support it, of course, just probably wouldn't be interested.  Then again, I wouldn't have been interested in the show to begin with if it was a predominantly male cast.  This is largely because it's tough to find good, engaging female lead characters in entertainment, particularly in sci-fi or fantasy, so finding a cast like the 6 is very refreshing.  And, as a guy, I'm just more drawn to female characters.  It's not a sexual thing.  Or, I should say, it's not purely a sexual thing.  I just love women and love watching female characters in entertainment.

I'm sure we'd have the same number of ships, if not more. I find that the predominantly male side of this fandom tends to ship femalexfemale parings. However, in a wide-spectrum of other fandoms, the female population tends to gravitate more to shipping malexmale parings. So perhaps we'd just see a shift in who ships what?

Male or female, Rarijack is best ship.

I think it would be shipped more if the male characters were given a bigger spotlight, it feels like the reason the Mane 6 get the attention is because, well, they have more character, and therefore more angles at which to pursue a ship. I can go on and on about Flutters' or Twilight's character, or how it fits well with this pony or that pony, but I can't do the same for, say, Big Mac or Shining Armor, because they don't have anything to work with