Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony@Home protein folding group

tiwake

Hey, we at Brony@Home are considering printing off 1,000+ copies of a poster to be handed out for free to promote folding@home and the group. I'm posting about this because we are not quite sure how to best distribute such a thing, assuming the convention wants to deal with us. I don't think there will be enough members to do a full panel though. The poster in question will be 17"x11" in size, and the image will be exactly this

http://tiwake.deviantart.com/art/Brony-Home-Protein-Folding-Poster-483004692

One of the fun things we do as a group is every once in a while we have a competition with awesome prizes including but not limited to video cards and steam games.

Cheers

Edited by tiwake
  • Brohoof 3

Hey @tiwake!

BABSCon does have a limited number of fan tables available for free.  These are tables for organizations not selling products so that they can hand out flyers, talk to people about their organization, and otherwise promote their organization at the convention.  If you'd be interested in applying for one of these tables, you can do that here.  Be sure to get the application in pretty soon though since applications close on 11/26.

You could also apply for a panel here.  I'm not sure how many people you have coming that could do the panel, but you don't need a large group to run a panel.  Again, applications will be closing on 11/26 so I'd recommend getting that in as soon as possible.

Or were you just looking to have a stack of posters somewhere?  If so let me know and I'll see if something can be arranged. 

Hey @tiwake!

BABSCon does have a limited number of fan tables available for free.  These are tables for organizations not selling products so that they can hand out flyers, talk to people about their organization, and otherwise promote their organization at the convention.  If you'd be interested in applying for one of these tables, you can do that here.  Be sure to get the application in pretty soon though since applications close on 11/26.

You could also apply for a panel here.  I'm not sure how many people you have coming that could do the panel, but you don't need a large group to run a panel.  Again, applications will be closing on 11/26 so I'd recommend getting that in as soon as possible.

Or were you just looking to have a stack of posters somewhere?  If so let me know and I'll see if something can be arranged. 

Well, it is me and my moms first time to go to babscon. Right now I don't know if anyone in the Brony@Home group is going besides me at the moment. Is there a possibility I could split a fan table with somebody else? How big are these "fan tables"? Can I set up a video to be played on a laptop?

I have considered manning a table to hand out such posters at a different convention, and I think such a thing would be fun (here at babscon), but I kind of need more information before committing to such a thing right now.

In addition to the above questions, I have one more.

Having just filled out an application for a fan table, one of the questions was "Please give us a short description of your table we can put in our con book." to which I put in "Distributed computing team with a focus on protein folding research"

Is the description expected to be more detailed? Or is such a short description expected?

Hey tiwake,

It's probably best if you send an email with your questions to vendors@babscon.com.  They'll be able to give you much more information about the process for fan table applications than I can.