Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

making christmas merrier Making Christmas Merrier 2014 - Children's Holiday Crusade

Jeric

MAKING CHRISTMAS MERRIER 2014

img-3279309-1-dashing_through_the_snow_b

Three years ago, when MLP Forums was still in its infancy, a seemingly inconsequential status update from a member lead to what would become one of MLP Forums most important and fulfilling projects. Making Christmas Merrier - A charitable event focused around us as a community of friends coming together to provide a more joyous Christmas for sick children. .

What is Making Christmas Merrier?

In 2011 and 2012 MLP Forums - under the guidance of @Feld0 - initiated a charity fundraiser to collect donations with the sole purpose to purchase Christmas gifts for the young patients at BC Children's Hospital in Vancouver Canada. In 2011, the MCM’s raised around $400.00. You can read all about the history of the inaugural event here. The site was new and had only a sliver of the membership we do now, but the following year MCM raised over $2000.00 for the Children’s Hospital. Read all about that here. In the end, our contributions as a Forum ensured that Christmas was better for many kids, some fighting for their lives.

Last year, we were unable to get this off the ground, much to the dismay of several members here on the board. We have heard you and Making Christmas Merrier is back for 2014!

Contribution instructions

Contributions to the fundraiser may be made through PayPal, or through a credit or debit card.

Due to processing fees, we ask that you please consider maximizing the donation amount per transaction. Remember, the more money that gets taken through fees, the less money that goes to the children!

In order to get the money to the Hospital in time, donations will tentatively close on Dec 12th.

Donations are now closed! You all are the epitome of what it means to be a Community. 

Anonymous Donations

When donating you have the option of doing so anonymously. This will mean that you decline the badge you can also specify to be removed from any giveaway drawings. Please PM these three Administrators: , @SCS, and . This will ensure the anon request doesn't get processed as a normal donation.

Please make the subject line of the PM "Anonymous Donation Request"

Gift Donations

You can donate in another MLP Forum community member's name giving them the Generosity Badge as well. This has been done a few times, but we wanted to publicize the option. To do this, after donating, PM requesting that the donation be counted toward the person of your choice. Be sure to include the member's user name. :derp:

Please make the subject line of the PM "Gift Donation Request"

Note: Due to processing costs - Gift Donations must be a minimum of $5.00 per individual you are gifting the badge to.

While any charitable contribution is usually made with the spirit of generosity and altruism as the driving force, we felt that the prior years fun and festivities should be carried over. As in 2012 we are rolling out a series of fun (and embarrassing) incentives. Some will be based on individual donation goals, while others will be rolled out as we hit specific goals as a community. If you read the 2012 thread you will have a good idea of what we are talking about.

Individual Goals

For every $5 donated you will be entered into the three separate giveaways that we are holding, with the winners announced LIVE on Equestria.tv Movie Night.

Art Commission Giveaway

Several of MLP Forums own artists have agreed to donate their time and talents for a special raffle. The artists include:

Shimmering, Ashley, Anilewe, Ruishi, Sceethe, Dilarus, Storrnfury, Tsitra360 (yes … that Tsitra)

Steam Giveaway

• Bastion
  • Terraria
  • South Park
  • FTL
  • Witcher 2
  • Castle Crashers
  • Fallout New Vergas
  • Battleblock Theater
  • Psychonauts
  • Hotline Miami
  • Farcry 2
  • Serious Sam 3
  • Little Racers Street
  • Super Sanctum TD
  • Dungeon Hearts
  • Goat Simulator
  • Don't Starve

Merch Giveaway

Merch from Funko, WeLoveFine, good ol’ Hasbro.

Pixel Wavelength Plushie Auction

For those that do not know, Troblems / Phantomhive is one of our resident Plushie Artisans. We will be auctioning off a new creation from her - Pixel Wavelength the Ponivese Mascot. You can own this one of a kind plushie that will always remind you of what this community means and can do when we come together as one. You can find out more at this link.

Stretch Goals

We figured we would make it a bit more fun this year. As we reach specific targets as a community a new Stretch Goal will be revealed as well as an image hint for the next one. Again, take a peek at that 2012 and you’ll have an idea. Want to embarrass a Mod or Admin … this may be your chance.

$100 Goal - Unlocked Generosity Badge

All Christmas Donors receive a special title and a nifty "Element of Generosity" badge!

img-3280130-2-element-of-generosity.png

If you aren't immediately moved to the special donors group, don't worry! We'll get to you ASAP. If you still haven't been moved after 24 hours, be sure to contact an admin.

$250 Goal - Unlocked Staff Name Change

Christmas Donors are entered into a raffle to change a staff member's display name or member title for a week. If two members choose the same staffer, then the changes are queued. Each successive goal unlock will add one more ticket to the raffle.

Name/title change tickets so far: 10

$500 Goal - Unlocked Staff Solo Song

What is a better Holiday tradition than caroling? Especially of the carols are songs from Friendship is Magic. Doubly so if it's a member of the staff serenading you. Eyup! Through a special poll, the MLP Forums will select one Moderator or Staffer to record a song from the show we all love (your choice as well) for everyone's amusement - or horror. And in some cases ... our embarrassment. The poll will be posted soon. This isn't the last Staff Song as more may show up in the future.

Note: The songs in this bracket will be mostly solo songs.

Also, you have opened another Name/Title Change ticket

$750 Goal - Unlocked - Newsletter Feature

One of you gets to be a direct part of the Poniverse Newsletter Team or choose to be featured. Added to the raffle pool now is a featured piece in the Poniverse Newsletter that goes out to tens of thousands of people. What does that mean? Well, that depends on you. You can pen an editorial or column on an aspect of the show or fandom. If you are a Fan Fic writer ... we will feature your fic. If you are an artist we will feature your art. If you have a Commission Page here we can plug that as well. If you simply want to be the featured interviewee ... done. This will be for the Dec Newsletter due in late Dec.

$1000 Goal - Unlocked Staff Group Song

Well, since making a certain Rarity lovin' member of this community sing was apparently so popular, your'e going love this - Group Staff Song from FiM is unlocked. You will vote on one of the many songs in FiM that require more than one person to sing (excluding Admins). Look for our status updates and a post here for when the poll will be up.

$1250 Goal - Unlocked Holiday Emotes / Design Emote / Solo Staff Song

A series of Festive Mane Six Emotes will soon be available in the emote panel, courtesy of @Obsidian Sky

Also, ever wondered why we don't have 'x' character as an emote. Well ... here is your chance. Soon we will create a poll that will allow you to pick from a selection of characters. @Obsidian Sky will design the winning selection. We will also be including this as an winnable item during the drawing where one member will be able to pick a non featured character to be added as well. Who will win? :D

Also, yeah ... since you guys seemed to like making us sing ... a new solo song will be done ... same as before eliminating Art of the Dress.

Oh and

$1500 Goal Unlocked Admin Fan Fic Reading / Staff Song - Share the Wealth

Well done everypony! You have now unlocked the first Admin Stretch Goal! One Admin chosen by you will read and record a fanfic (approx 5000 words). :D

Also, yet another song with members who have not yet gotten to shine. :D

$1750 Goal - Unlocked The Massive MLP Forums Smile Song

img-3280130-5-20141012154100!Big_Finish_

$2000 Goal - Unlocked Admin Duet - This Day Aria

"This day is going to be perfect ... "

Two of the four Admins will need to sing as Cadance/Chrysalis in on of the best duets in the show. You vote on the pairs. Poll will be up soon. 

Also  

$2500 GoalUnlocked Staff BABSCon Cosplay

Poviverse and MLP Forums staff will be heading to BABSCon and are hosting a live streamed and recorded panel. For some of us, this will be our first Ponycon experience and representing this place that we call home will be an exciting time. What better way to ratchet up the fun than to step into the skin of your favorite character ... live ... and hosted on YouTube for all the world to see?

Sooooo. Yeah ... this is going to be a thing. @Simon, @Jeric, , and will be hosting the Poniverse/MLP Forums Panel. One of us will cosplay as our favorite character during the panel. One of us will enter the cosplay contest. You choose who it will be. 

img-3280130-4-mlp_cosplaying_is_magic_by

$3000 Goal - Epic Rap Battle Unlocked

img-3280130-5-feldy_by_mare__in__the__mo

FAQ

Q: What is the goal of this event?

A: We hope that a meaningful gift from MLP Forums to BC Children's Hospital will make the holidays better for them and their patients. Besides, it's also a perfect chance to show the world how kind and caring bronies can be!

Q: How much money are you looking to raise?

A: As much of it as we can!

There is no upper limit to the amount of money BC Children's Hospital will accept - like any other non-profit organization, they'll find a use for every last cent of it.

However, if you are looking for a number to attach to the event, with $1000, MLP Forums will be credited by name in the hospital's annual fiscal report. This will be a permanent mark of honour for our community, and is a goal well worth shooting for.

Q: I donated, what can I do?

You can still help us out by promoting it everywhere you can! Link to this thread in your signature on other forums, tweet about it, tell your Facebook friends, shout out in your personal blog - every little bit will help!

Q: Can I donate the old teddy bear I had as a child?

A: No.

We are not accepting physical item donations this year.

Q: Will MLP Forums keep any of the money I donate?

A: No.

All of the money this fundraiser collects will go to BC Children's Hospital. This fundraiser is completely separate from the contributions we accept towards the upkeep of the site.

Please note that our payment processors debit a small processing fee from every donation. This generally works out to about 3% of each donation. There's nothing we can do about this fee, and it is a necessary part of accepting online payments.

“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.”
? John Holmes

Before we turn your day (or night) back over to you, we want to say this: our success over the years was not due to Feld0, or any of the Staff at the time. Likewise, if we can achieve our goals this year, it will not be due to Feld0, SCS, Spoon, Aquila, or any staffer for that matter. It will be due to you, all of you. Together this community can achieve amazing results, and ensure that the kids at BCCH have that Christmas they may otherwise not have. We've done it before, and we can do it again.

Please feel free to pose any questions, comments, or other queries below,

If some are grouchy, pay no mind
Surprise instead with something kind
Lo and behold, you may just find
A smile is what you bring

? Rarity

Edited by Princess Luna
Linked to Plushie Auction
  • Brohoof 58

I am very glad to see that this is happening. Come on bronies, let's show the world that our community can make a difference!  :D

• Brohoof 10

I can't donate in CAD ;_;

Darnit, Feld0, learn to America.

Ah, well. I really hope this gets popular! We should do this more often :3

Also

led*

Things in the spoilers aren't working

If you're having payment problems, PM me and we'll work something out!

• Brohoof 10

Glad to finally see this fundraiser making a return! I sure as heck missed it. We're a community of people from all walks of life, united--on the surface--by our common interest in ponies. But beneath that, what are we? We're people. We're humans.

We so often hear about humanity's potential for evil. We hear about pain and terror. We hear about hatred. We hear about the worst of humanity. I don't believe for a second that this is how we should be defined. What about the other side of the coin? Those beacons of light in the heart of darkness? Generosity. Kindess. Love. These are all human attributes, and they unite us.

MLP Forums is a large community. We're not the largest on the Internet by any means, but we're large enough that we can really make a huge difference. We have nearly 2000 active members in our community. If every one of us donated a single dollar, we could potentially make hundreds of children happy. Who knows, we might even be able to save a few lives with just a single gesture of generosity.

At the end of the day, though, even making a single child's Christmas is a success. The point is this: we can make a difference. Together.

Oh, and I'm certainly looking forward to making a fool of myself x)

• Brohoof 8

I have a quetion as it seems I have to give some very personal information during donating process - will all that information be kept private? Name is one thing, but address.... xD 

I already asked Aquila about this thing before, I know, but considering the fact that there are some winners to be announced I want to be sure that for example my username would be used for announcing that.

Also is there a way for me not to be involved in merch raffle? Or (optional) to give it to person I choose instead of me? Assuming I win of course xD

EDIT: THANKS FOR BROHOOFS, THEY REALLY DO ANSWER MY QUESTION :lol:

• Brohoof 8

This is a very awesome cause you're doing, guys. Seeing charities is one of the reasons why the MLP:FiM fandom is the greatest.

I'll have to make sure I'll donate soon. I'm all for making children overcoming their illnesses and making them happy! :D

• Brohoof 5

I certainly wish I could help. But I don't have Paypal or credit/debit, nor do I have the money to contribute. But I'll do what little I can to drive up donations. Whether it means posting a status update or whatever is needed. I'll help however I can mods, just let me know what I can do!

Also BTW love the rarity quote in the OP.

• Brohoof 8

I certainly wish I could help. But I don't have Paypal or credit/debit, nor do I have the money to contribute. But I'll do what little I can to drive up donations. Whether it means posting a status update or whatever is needed. I'll help however I can mods, just let me know what I can do!

Also BTW love the rarity quote in the OP.

No worries. If you have money to give or not, helping in any way is just as important.  ^_^

• Brohoof 3

I have a quetion as it seems I have to give some very personal information during donating process - will all that information be kept private? Name is one thing, but address.... xD

Your name and address are useful in preventing payment fraud. The info you enter into the payment form may be cross-checked with your bank's records to help ensure it's really you who made the payment. You'll find that any reputable merchant or other entity that takes online payments will ask for this info, to protect both you and them.

Fraud's no fun for anyone, so that's why we collect that info - it has nothing to do with how we address you as a user. :)

• Brohoof 7

Your name and address are useful in preventing payment fraud. The info you enter into the payment form may be cross-checked with your bank's records to help ensure it's really you who made the payment. You'll find that any reputable merchant or other entity that takes online payments will ask for this info, to protect both you and them.

That's why we collect this info - it has nothing to do with how we address you as a user. :)

Feld0 answered my post! Omygosh *faints*! 

Thanks for the info, what about second question though? I am closet brony so I could not really have any MLP-related merch myself. 

• Brohoof 10

As soon as some money comes in, (the joys of being unemployed :okiedokielokie: ), I'll be placing a donation.

Also, I'm very much looking forward to the commission raffle. :)

Feld0 answered my post! Omygosh *faints*! 

Thanks for the info, what about second question though? I am closet brony so I could not really have any MLP-related merch myself.

Also is there a way for me not to be involved in merch raffle? Or (optional) to give it to person I choose instead of me? Assuming I win of course xD

Yes, you can forfeit your prize if you're selected, but another donor will be chosen. This makes it more fair for those who donated to the fundraiser.

• Brohoof 5

Yes, you can forfeit your prize if you're selected, but another donor will be chosen. This makes it more fair for those who donated to the fundraiser.

Ok, thanks for the information, I will give my donation soon then :)

• Brohoof 4

Hey there! I just got a quick question. Two, actually.

So, I've donated for this lovely charity, but I'm a little unsure about two donation-related things. The first thing is that even though I donated, it seems that my profile doesn't tell me that I did, since there is a little tab on the left about donations. Is this a glitch, or is it for other donations?

The second thing is this... how do the raffles work? Are you automatically put into the raffles? Should you must watch the Equestria.tv stream to see who won? Will somebody tell you who has won or not?

It's an honour to donate for something as generous as this, by the way. x)

• Brohoof 5

Wow, $100 already! Great work, guys. As promised, the first achivement goal has been unlocked. All donors receive a special title and a pretty "Element of Generosity" badge! 

If you aren't immediately moved to the special donors group, don't worry! We'll get to you ASAP. If you still haven't been moved after 24 hours, be sure to contact an admin.

The next goal is $250, and the hint has been provided in the OP. I wonder what it could be...?

So, I've donated for this lovely charity, but I'm a little unsure about two donation-related things. The first thing is that even though I donated, it seems that my profile doesn't tell me that I did, since there is a little tab on the left about donations. Is this a glitch, or is it for other donations?

Don't worry; we have you. The profile counter is for site donations only, as far as I know.

The second thing is this... how do the raffles work? Are you automatically put into the raffles?

Yes, you'll be automatically entered into all three raffles that are being held. Raffles here work much as they do in real life. Each donor is assigned a number, and one number is chosen at random. The winning number receives a prize.

Should you must watch the Equestria.tv stream to see who won? Will somebody tell you who has won or not?

You'll automatically forfeit the prize, even if schedule conflicts prevent you from attending the stream. Just kidding! You will be told, but the announcement will first take place during the stream. If you don't attend, expect a delayed notification. Still, you should do your best to attend streams. They'll be hosting some exciting events!

• Brohoof 6

THIS is the reason of why I do love this community.

The act of giving our money to the charity,and being able to help those who aren't that lucky is by far one of the most beautiful things that a human being can do. To forget the differences for one second, and trying to make a child to smile, is a pleasure that is not easily matched.

I didn't had planned to donate any money to MLPForums for now, but just the thought that my money can bring the happiness to those who have problems make my donation worth, and as soon as I can, i'll donate some money, and try to help the sick children that need more help than me.

Also, I encourage anyone who has the chance to donate at least a bit of money, because the donations from today can help for a better tomorrow for those who have problems,and even if you can only donate $1, every bit helps and counts.

Edited by Lightwing
  • Brohoof 6