Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Right Eye or Left Eye Dominant?

Treble Bolt

I blame @Kenny for this....he was wondering about right/left handed dominance, which got me thinking about other parts of us that have a dominance/preference...

Although there are people who can be both ambidextrous in their hands and feet, no one can physically be dominant with both eyes.  Why is that? Because each hemisphere of the brain controls half of the retina of each eye, even though both hemispheres control both eyes. There are similar statistics for right/left eye dominance as there are for handedness. However, being right handed does not necessarily mean you are right eyed dominant.

I am right handed, but LEFT eye dominant. Believe it or not, this has created a lot of problems for me. I have to use a left handed bow, in order to aim properly with my eye, same goes for a gun. However, for instrument playing, writing, and all motions in which aiming and other fine ocular skills aren't needed, I do everything right handed. It was hard adjusting to left handed shooting, and even in some blacksmithing situations, I need to hammer left handed, which has taken a lot of practise and hard work to do right.

If you do not know your eye dominance, here's a handy little test to help you figure it out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Dominant-Eye

• Brohoof 2

I am right handed, but LEFT eye dominant. Believe it or not, this has created a lot of problems for me. I have to use a left handed bow, in order to aim properly with my eye,

YES ! Me too.

It was a huge nightmare for me when they got me the left-handed bow for target shooting.

A nightmare, I say ! 

Most people are right eye dominate because most people's dominate eye matches their dominant hand. (Most people are right handed.) 

I am right eye dominate and left handed. Oddly enough, I was the best at duck hunt on the NES. I never shot an actual gun. (People who are cross dominate usually have trouble with guns, bows, and other things that require aim.)

I blame @Kenny for this....he was wondering about right/left handed dominance, which got me thinking about other parts of us that have a dominance/preference...

Although there are people who can be both ambidextrous in their hands and feet, no one can physically be dominant with both eyes.  Why is that? Because each hemisphere of the brain controls half of the retina of each eye, even though both hemispheres control both eyes. There are similar statistics for right/left eye dominance as there are for handedness. However, being right handed does not necessarily mean you are right eyed dominant.

I am right handed, but LEFT eye dominant. Believe it or not, this has created a lot of problems for me. I have to use a left handed bow, in order to aim properly with my eye, same goes for a gun. However, for instrument playing, writing, and all motions in which aiming and other fine ocular skills aren't needed, I do everything right handed. It was hard adjusting to left handed shooting, and even in some blacksmithing situations, I need to hammer left handed, which has taken a lot of practise and hard work to do right.

If you do not know your eye dominance, here's a handy little test to help you figure it out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Dominant-Eye

hehe, I'm also right handed and left eyed, and do archery! I seem to do okay with a right handed bow though. I just either close my left eye, or more recently I've been just keeping both eyes open and trying to stay aware of which eye I am seeing the arrow tip with with; Doing that seems to work well for me. When I'm taking photographs I always use my left eye for the viewfinder though.

I am similarly left-eye dominant, but right-handed.  It's really only relevant when I'm shooting, but learning to shoot rifle left-handed took quite a while to get used to.  It's certainly not impossible though, and after four years on my high school's rifle team, I'd like to think that I became a pretty good marksman.  However, I haven't shot since then, so I'm probably not nearly as good anymore...

I guess I'm left dominant? Though, I can't really keep my right eye open with my left eye closed, so... it had the disadvantage of squinting? :c

• Brohoof 1

I dont feel like either of my eyes have dominances over each other, but i always have that feeling that i have a lot more control in my left eye than right. Besides, my right eye has met with a lot of pain for awhile, so i guess im left eyed? Im not totally sure, and that time i went rifle testing(Shooting soda cans)with family thing, shifting from the left to right eye didnt seem to make much difference from my shooting.