Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Pinkie Pie an Abused Child?

sweetolebob18

In Episode 23 The Cutie Mark Chronicles, it showed Pinkie's childhood on the rock farm.  The part I'm thinking of is where she makes a party & everyone stands there, silent & shaking, until the father expresses his thoughts.  No one dares to have an opinion until he has one & then everyone agrees with him.  I'm no expert, but I do watch Law & Order SVU.

Am I on to something, or trying to make too much soup from 1 potato?

I'd put in a link, but I have no idea how to do that, so I won't

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, i wouldnt be too surprised if she was. But its not my headcanon, though thats mostly just dumb theories i make about the show. I believe that Pinkie isnt "Abused" by her family, per say, but instead its about how they lived. Maybe living on a rock farm and wasting most of their time moving rocks, from left to right, for many years can leave quite a big imprint on someones mind, And maybe that made her, and possibly the rest of her family, a little "Depressed" as to when it was shown on her cutie mark story. And while on that, maybe Pinkie seeing that rainbow, and colors, and awesomeness, and hapniness, clicked something in her brain, and gave her "Inspiration" and hapiness of her own. So, she went ahead and tried to bring that hapiness to her family through a party she made, her first party. And thus, she somehow became the Pinkie she is today, with not more than a glint of depression left from her childhood, as shown in Party Of One.

Yeah, this is probably really stupid and doesnt make much sense, but these were my thoughts when i though about the whole thing. Anyway, theres my opinion and beliefs.

Edited by Bradley
  • Brohoof 4

Honestly, I think it's pretty controversial. In my opinion? Yes.

Her love of parties could be a coping method to (a possible) post-traumatic stress disorder. Because her dad hated them, she wants to make herself feel good by surrounding herself with people who do.

Or maybe they just lived in a more old-style way? I mean the family looks INCREDIBLY Amish stereotype, maybe they just don't say anything unless the alpha (the father) of the house says so? Plus I think you might be digging a bit deep into this one buddy, Pinkie doesn't seem abused, though I do wonder if maybe she has some sort of fear of losing her friends, which then again I think all of the mane 6 and pretty much all of the world shares, at least to some degree. Abuse, however? That's a bit overkill

• Brohoof 8

What? No

Personally doesn't only develop from childhood trauma, you know. Its more likely that they had lived on a boring rock farm for so long that they didn't know how to react to fun.

• Brohoof 11

Conservative and strict upbringing =/= abusive.

Her parents seemed to celebrate her love of parties too much to be outright abusive... At least as their default approach to children. Plus Maud still lives there... Granted she's a bit aspie so development may hinder getting off the farm but still... I think people just assume they must be abusive them because they are stereotypically Amish... I think personal biases against that era of child rearing make people see every dad with a buckled hat some kind of 1 dimensional God fearing psycho with a whooping stick.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 4

Eee-nope!

The family aren't all looking to their dad for his reaction, and then copying him. Their eyes are glancing around the room, pointing in various different directions, and then they all simultaneously decide they are excited by the party. Watch it again if you don't believe me. Look at their eyes. Look at the timings of their reactions. Simultaneous.

The reason they take so long to react is that the whole thing is so completely different and utterly unexpected that it seems to take their brains a few moments to process what's happening and whether it's something they approve of.

• Brohoof 1

Some of the answers in this topic are trying to dig too deep to find something that isn't there, my response to such answers:

DuuuuuudeWutPinkiePie.png

How was she abused? Because that's what you figure would be the catalyst for her wanting to be happy all the time? Because her parents were shitty to her? What is this -- a fucking teen drama? Really people..she lived on a bloody rock farm, that's sort of -- you know; boring. And her parents were clearly of amish influence, and thus, carried the traits of the amish people. Are some of you suggesting that amish people abuse there children because amish persona reasons? I doubt it. But sadly, that seems to be the thought process gone into some of these answers. Just because a family is strict doesn't equal abuse, just because her family din't know what fun was til they were thrown a party, doesn't mean they were abusive or bad parents. Stop trying to put Pinkie under the 'happy person with a abusive past' cliche' , get outta here with that shit people, we can do better than that.  :maud:

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 11

Pinkamena-Pills, love your Avatar :3

On topic... I don't think she's gotten abused, I would say it's her lifestyle that makes such assumptions possible. This dry looking landscape as well as the monotonic work they do suggests a very depressive atmosphere and being stuck in such can result in the brain shutting down, that might be the reason for the late reaction of what was going on when Pinkie threw that party. Given the fact she was still a filly she didn't understand the concept of sadness/depression but knew it was affecting her family perhaps. But then again, this is a little too deep for any actual proof. It's not supposed to be thought about so throughly really, it's a show for children with mature hints to give morals and maybe to appeal to adult fans.

I doubt that she was. Sure, her life was bland and kind of sad on the rock farm, but I don't think her parents abused her. I just think that her dad was sort of the patriarch of the farm, so people naturally listen to him, because he basically runs the operation. That being said, life on the rock farm seemed rough for everypony, and Pinkie was shown being miserable, but that was just a result of the sort of hopelessness of being stuck somewhere so boring and gloomy all the time, not abuse.

I don't think she was abused. I feel she more didn't agree with the lifestyle of her family. We've seen in the show that she was close to Maud so we know she liked her. Their personalities didn't exactly clash but there is no evidence that she was abused.

Nope I don't think that's the case, in the same way I don't believe Fluttershy was abused, any claims of "this character was abused" or "evidence this character is gay" only exist in your mind and I'm pretty sure the writers haven't thought about it.

I'm all for analysis, but I am not too fond of this silly headcanon.

To me, I like to think that Pinkie's parents are more boring than anything. They're focused on rocks a lot, but Pinkie wants to do more than just live in a rural land. In Cutie Mark Chronicles, we even see Pinkie expressing her joy of parties towards her parents and sisters, showing that Pinkie clearly does love them, despite their boring lives. Heck, even her family is shown to approve of her party.

Since we're going to get an episode about Pinkie and her family in Season 5, the likeliest that we'll know about them is that they're not hostile.

Pinkamena-Pills  Maybe you are right, maybe I am reading too much into it.  I got pounded on a LOT as a child (& yes, mothers are more likely than fathers to do this), so maybe I see what isn't there.  But, Pinkie's kind of acting out is a typical response.  Still, "strict" doesn't mean abusive.

I agree with you, though about them looking Amish.  I grew up in Amish country & the father, especially looks Amish to me.  They could just be going for a "Little House On The Prairie Look", though.  It can be hard to say for sure.  I remember when I moved to the big city.  1st time I saw a Hassidic Jew, I thought they were Amish.  A friend corrected me (seemed to think it was hilarious I wasn't born knowing everything, like him) 

While I can see why you might draw that conclusion, I have doubts that it's likely.

Pinkie's extremely bubbly personality is easily explained in Equestria. On earth, it'd likely be a different story. I suppose one could claim that her sad "Pinkamena" side reverts her back to that original childhood state, hinting towards trauma from her earlier life. But, it doesn't necessarily need to be "trauma", it may just refer to the confused and somewhat gloomy time before she discovered the magic of friendship, in which her hair happened to be flat, so when she feels disconnected from her friends (i.e, Party of One), she reverts back to that "state" temporarily.

Furthermore, as others have mentioned, her parents may just be, well, "boring". They live a simple, tough life on a dull rock farm. This could explain their dry, straight-forward personalities.

• Brohoof 1

Some of the answers in this topic are trying to dig too deep to find something that isn't there, my response to such answers:

img-3283618-1-DuuuuuudeWutPinkiePie.png

How was she abused? Because that's what you figure would be the catalyst for her wanting to be happy all the time? Because her parents were shitty to her? What is this -- a fucking teen drama? Really people..she lived on a bloody rock farm, that's sort of -- you know; boring. And her parents were clearly of amish influence, and thus, carried the traits of the amish people. Are some of you suggesting that amish people abuse there children because amish persona reasons? I doubt it. But sadly, that seems to be the thought process gone into some of these answers. Just because a family is strict doesn't equal abuse, just because her family din't know what fun was til they were thrown a party, doesn't mean they were abusive or bad parents. Stop trying to put Pinkie under the 'happy person with a abusive past' cliche' , get outta here with that shit people, we can do better than that.  :maud:

Thank. You. For putting this into words so well.

Seriously. No. She wasn't an abused child. She just had a strict upbringing.

• Brohoof 3

I'm sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear.  I thought maybe I noticed something & consensus seems to be No, I'm "trying to make too much soup from one potato".  Her parents were probably strict but not too strict.  The father wasn't being overly controlling, everybody was slow reacting because it was so totally different from anything they'd ever seen before & it just took them a moment to realize "...what to my wondering eyes should appear..." but Pinkie spreading party cheer! (You have to wonder where she got the stuff, though.  Ran to town & back? She can really move when she has to)

Hey, I read someplace that Babe Ruth struck out about 3 times for every time he hit a home run & everyone else in the Hall of Fame did worse than that.  In short, in the words of Dr Frankenstein "Hey, not all experiments succeed" ;)  You're too afraid of failing to ever try, then I guarantee you'll never fail, but you'll never succeed, either.

In short, I blew it (God knows it ain't the 1st time)

I was just wondering if in EQ, a "bad hair day" means more than a fashion disaster, or still reading too much into things?

Nope. You can never forget that the writers main goal is to get the script done fast. Plus they all seem to love memes. Rock farm, grayness, "Amish-like", rainbow, happy and that's how Equestria a script is made. Maybe a cynical view is the writers, but I think a true one and doesn't take away from the show's quality.

Edited by Nature's Spell