Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

trees instead of graves...whoa. it might actually work.

lelouch.

This is how I want to be buried. Where's the sense in filling graveyards with stone monuments? Hundreds of years from now, think about how much space will be taken up by tombstones. I'd rather have a sapling planted over me, and maybe a small bench with my name where people can sit. I think it would be much nicer to visit.

The graveyard I walk through on my way to campus every day has a new mausoleum, now. It's really the antithesis of what I want to happen to me when I die. Preserved forever in an artificial environment.

• Brohoof 2

I couldn't access it 

Personally I like this idea, a tree sounds very very good

Maybe a little thing with your name on by the tree, and the tree grows around it and when it gets really big it grows over it, by that time everybody you know would have gone.

Its just nice xD

• Brohoof 2

Actually I would not like a tree to be there since I actually want to Be remembered and I don't want roots from the tree to damage the coffin or going inside my skeleton. I just want a tombstone it's so simple.

Not a horrible idea, but it would still require as much room as a conventional cemetery, possibly more to account for the size of the trunks in a hundred years.

• Brohoof 1

I like the idea, to be honest, but burying people in general is kinda stupid to me. Such a waste of resources. It's hard to find a clean, resourceful way to dispose of bodies, since cremation creates fumes and smoke...:C

I would just like to be dumped in the ocean.

• Brohoof 1

I'd rather not be remembered as Groot, thank you very much.

Joke aside, trees take up more space and rot more easily. Not to mention that animals would like to live in those trees. And where would you put the names and dates?

• Brohoof 1

It wouldn't work. For reasons everyone else has said for those against it.

Taking up more room, trees rotting, forest fires, deforestation, etc.

It seems nice at first but then you get to thinking and there's a chance you'll end up thinking otherwise.

Though I unno. Maybe you wouldn't think otherwise.

Now, when I die,
Now don't think I'm a nut,
Don't want no fancy funeral,
Just one like ole king Tut.

Actually, if my plans to become Empress of Earth come to fruition, I want to be interred in an exact one to one scale duplicate of The Great Pyramid of Giza. Only instead of sandstone, each block would be made of solid stainless steel! I want that sucker to have a measurable gravity field!

• Brohoof 1

Oh lelouch. Lelouch, lelouch, lelouch, lelouch, lelouch, lelouch, lelouch, lelouch, lelouch.

That would pretty much make them unmarked graves wouldn't it?

unmarked graves which happen to give out oxygen and purify the air.. the whole deforestation problem could be solved. graveyards are a huge waste of space, turning them into forests could help lots.

(how long did it take to write my name that many times? ^_^ )

• Brohoof 1

Umm nope. Try planting such a huge "grave" for each of the thousands of people who pass away, and you'll run out of room in no time.

Naw, it would just end up like Pandora (Avatar).  And this would be a bad thing...why?

But seriously, Don't even frickin get me started on how ludicriously asinine our traditions surrounding death in this culture are.  The fact that death is so expensive is mind-boggling and sad.  So much wasted space and resources spent on coffins/caskets, graves, and expensive funerals.  I'm not trying to criticize anyone's preferred way to mourn, but to spend so many thousands of dollars per person, and to take up massive plots of land...that's just horrible.  Think of how many useful things could be built with that money and that space--hospitals, schools, homeless shelters, etc.  But no, instead of using all that money to help those still living and in need, let's encrust coffins with jewels and spend thousands to preserve the bodies, rather than just letting them return to the earth from whence they came.  It makes me want to smash my head against the wall.

inb4 The money spent on this stuff is from life insurance policies and it's earmarked for this, and you can't just magically make that money go someplace else, and it's individual money anyhow and all that economic crap.  I know how the world works.  I don't care.  The world is stupid.

I don't even want to cremated.  As long as it's in good condition, I want my corpse to be used to feed some starving animals or something.  But since that ain't gonna fly, I'll just go with the cremation.  That, or a perfect, complete replica of King Raithwall's tomb from Final Fantasy XII.  Yeah, that would be some good hypocrisy.  Have a tomb the size of a small city.

• Brohoof 1

Naw, it would just end up like Pandora (Avatar).  And this would be a bad thing...why?

But seriously, Don't even frickin get me started on how ludicriously asinine our traditions surrounding death in this culture are.  The fact that death is so expensive is mind-boggling and sad.  So much wasted space and resources spent on coffins/caskets, graves, and expensive funerals.  I'm not trying to criticize anyone's preferred way to mourn, but to spend so many thousands of dollars per person, and to take up massive plots of land...that's just horrible.  Think of how many useful things could be built with that money and that space--hospitals, schools, homeless shelters, etc.  But no, instead of using all that money to help those still living and in need, let's encrust coffins with jewels and spend thousands to preserve the bodies, rather than just letting them return to the earth from whence they came.  It makes me want to smash my head against the wall.

inb4 The money spent on this stuff is from life insurance policies and it's earmarked for this, and you can't just magically make that money go someplace else, and it's individual money anyhow and all that economic crap.  I know how the world works.  I don't care.  The world is stupid.

I don't even want to cremated.  As long as it's in good condition, I want my corpse to be used to feed some starving animals or something.  But since that ain't gonna fly, I'll just go with the cremation.  That, or a perfect, complete replica of King Raithwall's tomb from Final Fantasy XII.  Yeah, that would be some good hypocrisy.  Have a tomb the size of a small city.

exactly!! :D

thinking that forests would be a waste of space and graves would not is just stupid. no one's gonna remember anyone after a century, but the tree will remain, and keep doing what it does.

although i wouldnt want your body fed to an animal, that doesnt seem right. even a dead pet shouldnt be fed :/

Umm nope. Try planting such a huge "grave" for each of the thousands of people who pass away, and you'll run out of room in no time.

room is being used up by useless graves as it is. and trees arent always huge, they become huge after a very long long time.

It wouldn't work. For reasons everyone else has said for those against it.

Taking up more room, trees rotting, forest fires, deforestation, etc.

It seems nice at first but then you get to thinking and there's a chance you'll end up thinking otherwise.

Though I unno. Maybe you wouldn't think otherwise.

but in that case why not cut down all the trees in the world? forests are desperately needed, and this sounds like a way as good as any to make some in the upcoming years.

• Brohoof 1

exactly!! :D

thinking that forests would be a waste of space and graves would not is just stupid. no one's gonna remember anyone after a century, but the tree will remain, and keep doing what it does.

although i wouldnt want your body fed to an animal, that doesnt seem right. even a dead pet shouldnt be fed :/

room is being used up by useless graves as it is. and trees arent always huge, they become huge after a very long long time.

but in that case why not cut down all the trees in the world? forests are desperately needed, and this sounds like a way as good as any to make some in the upcoming years.

BuuuuuuuuUUUIIUUUt, this tree thing still takes up more space D: . I see what you mean though; the "graveyard" could essentially become walking space, although I'd feel a little creepy walking over... Yeah :1.

BuuuuuuuuUUUIIUUUt, this tree thing still takes up more space D: . I see what you mean though; the "graveyard" could essentially become walking space, although I'd feel a little creepy walking over... Yeah :1.

i guess :( and yeah i wouldnt want to go through a forest like that.. and imagine all the folk tales etc that might come from them.

all the same, its not thaaaaat bad an idea (the idea isnt mine thought)

• Brohoof 1

I would never wish that upon a tree. It would probably end up dying early. Just like the one my parents planted symbolically for me when I was born. 'Tis a bad omen if I ever knew one. Lol.