Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Gaming = Childishness?

Magnum Flare

First of all, admin/mods, feel free to throw this to other section if you see fit / merge it if there has been a thread about it. Also, I hope I see no pitchforks and flame in this thread.

Okay, so I asked my big brother whether I can buy things on Black Friday, he replied with yes, except game stuff. I was disappointed/little heartbroken, since I've been wanting to get 3DS for a while now and snag Pokemon OR/AS.

But, it got me thinking. My big bro's mindset is set to the fact that gaming is things child would do. There's no point wasting time playing games and he thought it's an immature things to play video games. He used to play but abandoned it years ago, possibly because he has a good sense of responsibility.

So, my question is to you guys, is gaming projects childishness?

• Brohoof 3

Not in the slightest. When you look at things like competitive play and M rated games, then it's made pretty clear that gaming is for everybody.

If anything, it sounds to me that your brother is afraid of being young forever. He may have a sense of responsibility, sure, but you shouldn't really listen to whatever he tells you to do. If you want to get a Nintendo 3DS and Pokémon ORAS, go for it.

• Brohoof 4

I actually think that video games are starting to move away from childishness. With all these gaming competitions and conventions, it doesn't seem so child-like anymore. But a professional hobby for people of all ages.

Edited by Colour
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, gaming is childish.

But there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm 34, I'm married, I'm a father of two, I have a house and a mortgage. TLDR: I'm grown up. But it's nice to be childish from time to time.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, gaming is childish.

But there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm 34, I'm married, I'm a father of two, I have a house and a mortgage. TLDR: I'm grown up. But it's nice to be childish from time to time.

I disagree, gaming is not childish at all!

As I have grown older I have more demands on my such as "adult things" and therefore have less time to play games, but that doesn't make it childish at all.

You could argue from the point that certain games are childish but some that are mature/18+ (more and more lately) are defiantly not!

People have different methods of relaxing, and gaming is one of them :)!

This is the case in the UK at east, in the US popular opinion might be different, I have never herd of anyone in the UK being told to stop playing games because they are stupid and childish like the stories I have herd come out of the US, and ultimatly its society's overall interpretation of something that will give it a label (ie MLP is for girls).

• Brohoof 2

I believe it's not childish but it can be played by children and anyone of any age really. Gaming is just a fun way of getting out of a boring life (when compared to fiction at least) once in a while, it's fun and entertaining. It can be considered childish (some people consider certain games to be) but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it deserves just as much respect as any other hobby. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a bad mood only to have video games instantly cheer me up, video games make people happy and should not be looked down upon. If you want a 3DS and OR/AS, then go for it. 

• Brohoof 2

No, gaming is not childish in the slightest. I play a lot of games and I know for a fact that a lot of my colleagues do too. You can have a sense of responsibility and still play games, those two things are not mutually exclusive.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it childish, it's simply of form of entertainment, well a bit more than that. It's rather silly, your brothers view IMO. Using similar logic you could say that tv is childish, or the internet, or dear Celestia, that MLP is childish  :o What would that make games about MLP?

BTW: did you know that you can emulate most, if not all, Nintendo games on desktop computers and android/ios thingies? ...just saying.... :P 

Luna's take:

jyXyVIS.jpg?1

Edited by fyrepony
  • Brohoof 6

No gaming isn't childish it's for all ages. However it's just the community's that may give the game it's identity and with cod it's very childish and very hateful.

Gaming for me is just to relax or to wake me up

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Even though I'm technically still a child, and gaming is practically a large part of my life, it may seem childish, but i completely love it anyhow. I don't think age really matters. Everyone(mostly) loves games every once in a while, some more than others, and some even dedicate their life to it for some reason. I don't think I'll stop with games later on. I'll probably won't do it as frequently, But not even Age can get in the way of my love for games! We'll maybe death can, but I'll get to that once I cross that line.

You could argue from the point that certain games are childish but some that are mature/18+ (more and more lately) are defiantly not!

I think perhaps you misunderstood my argument.

Family Guy is childish. It's not for children, but it's still childish.

My point is that a bit of childishness is good for everyone; not just for children.

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 5

There are games made for children, just as there as tv shows and movies made for children, and there are games, tv, and movies made for adults.  But regardless of the target demographic, it's perfectly okay to enjoy any entertainment you want.  Wait...I think I'm having extreme deja vu....where am I again?

The point is, no, gaming is not childish.  Acting childish would be the only thing that's childish, though that can sometimes be okay, too.  Like said, it's good to in touch with one's inner child.  Anyway, games are a wonderful hobby at any age.  As was said earlier, if games were considered childish, then you'd have to consider tv and movies childish, too.  Games have given us some of the most powerful and moving art ever created, with some of the best music mankind has ever heard.

I'm an adult, and a big gamer.  I don't consider myself childish.  Quite the contrary.  My older brother is married with all the responsibilities of adult life, and he enjoys games as well.  My dad is level 146 in Skyrim.  My mom plays Skyrim, too, though she is more partial to the lighter games such as Epic Mickey, Toy Story, and Wii Sports.  One of my best friends is married, recently a dad, has a house, and will not hesitate to engage you in a lengthy discussion about how 343 has destroyed the Halo franchise.  (Incidentally, I agree, just for the record.)  Even the Angry Video Game Nerd is a father.  Playing games doesn't mean one refuses to grow up, or anything of that nature.  Playing games doesn't make one irresponsible.  Being irresponsible makes one irresponsible.  Axiomatic, but true.

Game on, OP, game on.

• Brohoof 1

Gaming is not childish, but it does have traits that are (some of the games and fans, for instance). There are mature games out there - and by mature, I mean that the game itself acts that way and treats the player like an adult, not so much something that is gory or sexual - and they show that the medium can be for anyone.

I think the only reason why someone people perceive it as childish is if they have only seen games that come across as immature or something that caters to a relatively young audience, or maybe they have some bad experiences with a few of the crazy kinds of gamers.

No, I don't believe so but to quote the Fourth Doctor

img-3290425-1-306796_327499977377595_573

I'm a person who enjoys Animated Shows and Movies, games and comics and a lot of those things are associated with "childishness". Well to that I ask you: What is "Adult" then? Just working, filing taxes and paying bills with the only bit of fun being going to bars, getting lotto tickets, watching sports and watching shows that meet a certain criteria? Well that sounds awfully boring. Have fun however you want so long as it's not hurting anyone. If you want cartoons (you are on an MLP site after all) watch it! If you want to play games, play them! If you want to read a comic, read it! It's your way of being entertained and you shouldn't that others might think of it as "childish". It's not affecting them. Besides a lot people play games and watch cartoons and they're responsible adults.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 8

Why why would you give up the things you loved just because you have gotten older? I don't what others think why let others thoughts affect what it is you truly like. What if there are things your brother likes to do that you don't like what he does. Would that make it right for you to go and tell your brother he should stop doing those things? 

Anyway that is my mentality just enjoy the things you truly enjoy and don't let others try and make you feel bad about the things you like you know? 

• Brohoof 1

(Yes I did the 10 minute loop, only way to describe how I feel about this)

Yeah, childish, that's why League of Legends and Dota 2 shell out millions if not 10s of millions in prize money alone for their World, lemme repeat that, WORLD Seasonal Championships. Not to mention the former's players are regarded (in America) as professional athletes. Let's forget about the conventions which are so easily accessible to children. Let's forget all those top tier Mature games like Bioshock Infinite. Better through out all those controversies only an adult would get, like sexism. Let's forget the dark messages and life altering decisions only an adult would be able to truly appreciate, like in Spec Ops: The Line. So basically, get rid of anything but Cooking Momma and Nintendogs/cats, and yeah, now gaming is for children. Cause all of that other stuff, in your brother's opinion, is also children's stuff, so we better not let these stink up their fun, right? Go get that 3DS you crazy ponified version of an incredibly toilet/sexual humor anime character, and send me your friend code when you do lol, I'll gladly accept your "childishness" :P

Edited by KokuraiNoSenshi

Gaming is not childish at all. You're brother sounds a bit out of touch, as someone else said.

Gaming is a fun thing to do. Not all fun is childish. Gaming brings you to another world and other stories. Makes you imagine. If that's childish to people than our society is crap. XD

• Brohoof 2

Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are childish. Real adults play Minecraft, Pokemon, LittleBigPlanet, and Lego games.

That's just your opinion....Call of Duty and GTA are one of the biggest franchises and you say they're childish? 

I can agree with your point on it since there is a young audience present however no, it's not childish games like LBP and Minecraft are for children because they appeal to a younger audience. Although I'm not bashing on you saying LBP and Minecraft are only for children those types of games are for everyone but it's heavily played by a young audience, but CoD and GTA are not childish.

• Brohoof 2

I always found gaming childish.

I love gaming, but I simply don't have the time and the means to care to put as many hours into it as I used to. I have a social life to attend, lel. xD

That's why my selection of games only include games that I KNOW I'll play and never find boring.

I have now turned into a casual gamer.  :squee:

Edited by Guest